TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does my S sit too high?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jmsurpri, Feb 1, 2017.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Top of fender curvature to ground is the right comparative measure. Top of tire to fender requires some subjective judgement and may thus vary.

2. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Wow.. A lot of difference. Here is my standard on my S picked up in December.

20170203_162242.jpg

3. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

We were measuring to the wheel, not the tire. Measuring to the ground is probably fine too, except for slight variation by tire wear or inflation.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I measured mine this am. On the lowest setting the top curvature of the fender well is 28 inches from the ground. On the standard setting it's 28.75, high is 29.5, and highest is 30.25.

5. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

If I can summarize the consensus of this thread so far:

Your S should sit high enough that you can't scratch your bottom, but that it's still easy to dismount.

• Funny x 1
  6. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Thanks for taking measurements. On low, I measure 29" front and 29.25" rear. So low for me is higher than your standard. Crazy.

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Remember, my car is lowered so that accounts for some of the difference.

8. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

To close out this thread, I had the service center calibrate the air suspension and now it sits perfectly. Initially the wheel gap was about 2.5" at standard and now it's about 1.5". It looks and feels great now. Can't believe I waited a year to get it done.

9. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Now that you are all calibrated, can you please tell me the distance from exterior top of the wheel well opening to the ground, front and back? Measure as did @BestRadar, but to the floor, not the tire.

And which exact model is this?

Thanks!

10. wwu123

wwu123 Member

Hi all, was reading this thread and was wondering if everyone has pretty even measurements across all four wheels? I just measured my new Model S and my left front is about 28.5", left rear about 29.25", while the right side is more even in the middle around 29". Similarly wheel-to-fender is 4.5" in left front, 5.5" left rear, and 5" on the right side.

I have not noticed the car being "tilted" or anything, but I did feel like the front air dam is aggressively low, and has scraped the tops of some wheel blocks (not the high curb itself, rather the low trapezoidal concrete stop) found in many parking spaces when you drive front-in. Would explain things if my front end is pitched a slightly downward to have reduced clearance.

If I take it in for service, can they adjust it? I don't have the air suspension; I have the standard (coil) suspension and 19" Slipstream wheels.

11. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

All 4 corners are about 29" for me now at standard height. Maybe an 1/8" difference between front and rear.

12. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Thanks! I just checked mine and measured:

LF 29.25”
    LR 29”
    RR 29”
    RF 29”

Not sure about the LF, other than maybe offset with no driver in the car.

13. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Active Member

I second. My notes, from a SAS delivery showed the same "1.5" front (1.625" rear). Incidentally, the coil cars tend to be stuck high, too. With no more SAS unless you're dang close to 100k, there will probably be more owners lowering their cars. No regrets, whatsoever. The two ways to do it are to machine in new circlip groves on the strut (for the lower spring purch), or to buy shorter springs.