Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does NAV take SOC at destination into account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
i was driving back to Scarborugh from Niagara Falls and my car warned me to stay less than 100km/h to not run out of juice. But it appears that the NAV system was routing me on the fastest route and not taking into account a shorter route that would reduce the risk of running the batteries to empty.

The NAV system wanted me to take the 427 north to the 401 rather than stay on the QEW/Gardiner/Lakeshore/Kingston Rd route which would save 12 km of distance. As soon as I passed the 427 while staying on the QEW the expected SOC went from 5% to 9%. And my expected ETA increased by two minutes.

Why wouldn't the car take this into account when routing me home? Or do I have to change a setting to favour SOC over time. Certainly two minutes is worth the risk minimization.

The nav will definitely not take consumption into account, with one exception. The trip planner will decide whether to divert to a Supercharger based on expected charge level at the destination. The nav does not recognize alternative routes that would take less power.

If I need to preserve power I take the "slower" Perth Road instead of the 416/401 to drive between Ottawa and Kingston. The time difference is zilch due to the shorter route. The Nav pretty much fights me the whole way, trying to get me to drive on longer routes that use highways.