Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does new Ludicrous+ update increase performance of P90DL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla said that the new update would provide "Hardware 1" and other improvements, but I was also wondering if there's a slight increase in performance for a P90D Ludicrous? I certainly don't expect it to become a P100D but perhaps they tweaked the output a bit?

So there are internal differences (wiring, controller, etc.) between the P90D and P100D? That's seems very unlikely.

There are 15+% more cells in 100 pack than 90 pack (which is more like an 85 pack). 15% more cells means 15% more power can be drawn out of the pack keeping everything else the same, more amps, more power.

Most P90D's cant even break 11 second quarter miles, P100D's can easily do 10's. Not 10.99, but down to 10.6s.

Gee, thanks for the basic information regarding the difference between a 100KWh battery and a 90KWh, but that wasn't my question.

Why can't the P90DL utilize the + upgrade? The 90/100 is a capacity value, not a flow value.

The conspiracy theory side of my brain says that the 90 would out accelerate the 100, due to the fact there are fewer cells i.e. weight, and Tesla can't have that. The logical side of my brain says there is a controller difference and maybe a higher amperage capacity wiring difference. I say "unlikely" as it wouldn't be cost effective to have two difference controllers and wiring harnesses for the same motors (again assuming they are the same motors in the 90 and 100).

The 90/100 is a capacity value, not a flow value.

Nope, it is both, more capacity and more power flow.

Not actual numbers but you can get the idea: If you have 1000 cells capable of 1 amp each you have a total of 1000 amps available. The 100 pack is 11.11% larger, so say it has 1111 cells, still capable of 1 amp each for a total of 1111 amps available. (And if I recall correctly the 100 pack actually has 15% more cells.)

Reactions: bhzmark
There are 15+% more cells in 100 pack than 90 pack (which is more like an 85 pack). 15% more cells means 15% more power can be drawn out of the pack keeping everything else the same, more amps, more power.
Assuming the cells are of the same voltage, and I'm almost certain they are, there are about 10% more cells in the 100 pack. Your understanding of voltage and amperage is not correct. Battery capacity, measured in KWh, is not related to flow rate (power), measured in amperage. You can draw the same amps against any size battery pack, the smaller packs just won't be able to supply that amperage as continuous. Again, assuming controller, wiring, etc., is all the same.

Most P90D's cant even break 11 second quarter miles, P100D's can easily do 10's. Not 10.99, but down to 10.6s.
Negative. The P90DL is validated and documented at 10.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile. The P100DL+ is validated at 10.44 seconds.

What does Ah mean in relation to batteries?

It is essentially the same as kWh. It is a measurement of energy storage capacity.

Ah=Amp hours. The number of amps that you can draw for an hour before the battery is empty.
kWh=kilo-watts hours. The number of kW that you can draw for an hour before the battery is empty.

You can think of it as the number of gallons a gas tank holds when measuring gasoline.

It is essentially the same as kWh. It is a measurement of energy storage capacity.

Ah=Amp hours. The number of amps that you can draw for an hour before the battery is empty.
kWh=kilo-watts hours. The number of kW that you can draw for an hour before the battery is empty.

You can think of it as the number of gallons a gas tank holds when measuring gasoline.
Exactly. That was my point.

But what you are missing is that because the 100 pack has ~15% more cells than the 90 pack it can put out ~15% more kW (power) as well as storing ~15% more energy (kWh.).
So back to one of my original points... the pack voltage should be different if they use 15% more cells, unless they are using different cells to build the 90 pack than the 100 pack. That wouldn't make economic sense. That means they would have to build (at least) two different cells to span the model range... 60, 75, 85, 90, 100, etc. After having built my own electric car some years back, the two factors I dealt with were voltage and amperage. Initially I used (12) 8v batteries to get a 96v pack which was the lower end of my controller. Later I moved to (10) 12v batteries to increase voltage, decrease weight and decrease range. The dynamics were difficult to quantify for obvious reasons.

As I understand, the Model S pack voltage is 400v. Adding more of the same batteries, without changing voltage, increases capacity (range). There must be something different (special) about the 100 pack over all the others.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Your understanding of voltage and amperage is not correct. Battery capacity, measured in KWh, is not related to flow rate (power), measured in amperage. You can draw the same amps against any size battery pack, the smaller packs just won't be able to supply that amperage as continuous. Again, assuming controller, wiring, etc., is all the same.

You can't draw the same amount of amps of any size pack. Power measured in kW would be a function of pack voltage * amperage from the battery. The smaller battery packs are 350v vs 400v on the larger packs. You'd have to pull 14% more amps out of the smaller pack to get the same power.

Negative. The P90DL is validated and documented at 10.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile. The P100DL+ is validated at 10.44 seconds.

Let's not be cherry picking numbers. There may have been ONE P90DL that has done 10.8 from TRC which had a unicorn v3 pack. Many others have not come close, especially those with v1 or v2 90kw packs.

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!
P90D owners - anyone upset yet at the 10.9 and 20% faster to 155mph claims?
If P90D ludicrious quater mile time is important for you, don't buy it now
Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance

I have yet to see a non-gutted P100DL go under 10.5. What's your source for 10.44 on a stock P100DL?

Reactions: JohnnyG
Not if they are adding the additional cells in parallel instead of series.
True, but I'm not sure they would be able to do that in the space available.

The only detailed information I can find is for the 85KWh battery pack, things may have changed since this information was shared. That pack consists of 7104 cells across 16 modules. Each cell is 3.6vdc at 3350mAh with a maximum discharge rate of 4.8A. Each module is comprised of 6 groups of 74 cells, so a group is 74 cells in series and then 6 of those groups in parallel. So 74 cells gives a voltage of 266.4vdc which means something is off, because that would result in a group voltage of 1598.4vcd which I know isn't correct.

The math doesn't work out, but I'm backing into it. Tesla may be doing things different or sourcing parts different than what I can obtain detailed information on. Do we have any Tesla engineers here to shed some light? Is this information that Tesla is even sharing with the public?

My point was that adding additional capacity, without adding voltage, would be difficult because of the physical limitations of space required to house another complete module.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike