Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does not connect to wifi

My model X is still on firmware 2019.20.4.2. It's been there a long time. I have to manually connect to wifi everyday in the hopes of a firmware update for a while now. It hasn't happened yet.

Does this version prevent autoconnect to wifi? Any way I can force a firmware update?

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
My model X is still on firmware 2019.20.4.2. It's been there a long time. I have to manually connect to wifi everyday in the hopes of a firmware update for a while now. It hasn't happened yet.

Does this version prevent autoconnect to wifi? Any way I can force a firmware update?

You could try turning off wifi and see if pulls down the update over LTE.

Another thought is to try a full reboot. For 5 seconds hold down both buttons on wheel while stepping on brake pedal. Release all. Car should shutdown in 5-10 seconds and then start rebooting in another 20 seconds or so. Expect AC system to shutdown for a 10 seconds or show.

Then after a day or so it should prompt to install upgrade.

You could try turning off wifi and see if pulls down the update over LTE.

Another thought is to try a full reboot. For 5 seconds hold down both buttons on wheel while stepping on brake pedal. Release all. Car should shutdown in 5-10 seconds and then start rebooting in another 20 seconds or so. Expect AC system to shutdown for a 10 seconds or show.

Then after a day or so it should prompt to install upgrade.

Thanks jboy210. Will give it a go. It used to autoconnect to wifi, so this is a recent development. Perhaps the reboot will set it back to normal behavior.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Another way is to use your cellphone as a WiFi hotspot. I did that today to download a navigation update. (Tesla does not deliver maps over LTE, only over WiFi. I park my Model S outside, too far from my condo for reliable connection to my WiFi.) The download started within a minute or two of activating the hotspot. That particular download took an hour or a smidgen more. (I sat in the car and read the newspaper so I would know when it was done so I could retrieve my phone and shut off the hotspot, which sometimes runs down the phone battery fairly quickly.)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC