Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does owner priority still apply if reservation is transferred to non-owner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My boss really wants a Tesla Model 3 but he has yet to put down a reservation. His mother, however, is a current Tesla owner. I think I've read about reservations being transferable but only to immediate family members. (I could be wrong, though...)

If his mother were to place a reservation right now and have it transferred to him, would he still get priority because the reservation came from a current owner?

Believe from what I read on here his mom would order the car under her MyTesla account, get priority, and she'd go there with him at the closing and the title would go in his name. If no one chimes in that's done it, search for a thread/s on it. Know it's been brought up. @bonnie should be able to answer you come to think of it. She just went with her sister to pick up the Model 3 she ordered for her.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
Believe from what I read on here his mom would order the car under her MyTesla account, get priority, and she'd go there with him at the closing and the title would go in his name. If no one chimes in that's done it, search for a thread/s on it. Know it's been brought up. @bonnie should be able to answer you come to think of it. She just went with her sister to pick up the Model 3 she ordered for her.
We left my sister's car under my Tesla account until after she took delivery - just now getting it transferred to her own account. Yes, had them title & register in her name, but it was still on my account. And then emailed with proof of ownership to get it switched over.

I can't answer the question of 'would she get priority now'. I'm going to guess probably not, you'd have to confirm that with Tesla.

Thanks for answering @bonnie.

We've had our Model S since March (ordered 12/31/16) and when we decided to retire our second car and replace it with a Model 3, we reserved in store but not until August. For some reason the configurer didn't put the car under my husband's MyTelsa account together with our MS so originally got a really long date for any Model 3. Telsa said they would correct our status and a priority would be given and when they ran what I guess was the first non-employee/Owner list of reservations our Model 3 did move up. It's saying Dec-Feb for first production now. Kind of figuring we won't get the invite until sometime in February or even later unless more people defer to one of the other options or production really ramps up. From all appearances they are still working through 3/31 reservations. No way of knowing for sure but I anticipate that she/he will get a bump in priority but for example will be some reservations after ours and those who ordered after me.

Thanks for the reply, @SMAlset and @bonnie. Good to know that transferring after delivery is an option! I'll be sure to tell him to check with Tesla before he confirms his order if he decides to go through with it. Now I'm jealous because he may get it before me and my March 31, 2016 reservation. :p

The reason I'm not sure of priority for new Model 3 reservations made by existing owners is because people are getting dates for delivery now. If a new reservation can just jump into line now, it could mess up other existing commitments. At some point, existing owners cannot logically get priority, seems like 'when deliveries begin' is a good cutoff point.

But I have zero knowledge of the decisions being made internally. Your boss may be in luck.

Reactions: Justmurr
If a new reservation can just jump into line now, it could mess up other existing commitments. At some point, existing owners cannot logically get priority, seems like 'when deliveries begin' is a good cutoff point.

OK, just to speculate some more (because I'm in a good mood with Tesla updating our Model 3 with auto-sensing wipers just as it was raining here), it seems to me that as long as the owner's list still exists and within that list is ordered by reservation date placed and that the top of the list is nowhere near the current date, it'd be easy to insert this owner's new reservation at the end of the that list, but ahead of non-previous owners.

But it would also make sense that at some point non-previous owners placing early reservations might be given priority over just placed reservations by people who happen to own prior Teslas.

And then there's non-previous owners who placed reservations for Model 3 before people who bought Models S or X. Does Tesla really want to give priority to someone who ordered a Model S last month and just now placed a Model 3 reservation over someone who placed a Model 3 reservation in April 2016?

It's fun to speculate on all the "what's really fair" possibilities. But, rather than work out a better list prioritization, let's hope Tesla is concentrating on a better Model 3 production flow. The cars are great - let's have more of them!

And then there's non-previous owners who placed reservations for Model 3 before people who bought Models S or X. Does Tesla really want to give priority to someone who ordered a Model S last month and just now placed a Model 3 reservation over someone who placed a Model 3 reservation in April 2016?
I believe this has already happened. Pretty sure I've seen posts about people who have bought an S or X within the last few months and have already received their Model 3 configuration invite.

It has always been said that model S and X owners would get priority over non owners. It does seem fair that the current owners that paid for expensive Tesla’s should get priority over the buyers of the budget cars after all they paid for the development of the car.