Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Pearl White issues still exits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was my delivery day @5pm, received a text saying we reaching out regarding upcoming model Y delivery. I called Tesla and was told while detailing the car they discovered the trunk is misalign its getting corrected. They will be reaching out to me tomorrow before 11am to reschedule the delivery. I'm happy they discovered it instead of me lol b/c I would have been pissed that they didn't discover it. hopefully they find and fix all the other defects before delivery. However I'm still a little disappointed.

the whites will always have issues. I look around when I go in for service - and - for the most part they are still being delivered with panel mismatch issues. I will say its gotten better from what I have seen. I would suggest you go to YouTube and search on white model Y - sort by recent videos. People post their pickups - excited - all happy - say - look this is perfect - no issues and - glaring panel and bumper mismatches - and that's with current vins. The issue is subtle or non existent for some people - they just don't see it. My wife doesn't see it at all - even after I show her pictures. So -- flip of the coin at this point id say - when you pick it up make sure - if you can - view it out of the sun - have them pull it inside so u can see it in non sunlight. Sunlight makes the car look like its matched.

Quick update, I talked to Tesla to see when will the trunk alignment be corrected and was told they also discovered sanding marks on the hood. nots sure what the fix is or even what sanding marks mean? now delivery maybe sometime next week WTF.

As a side note (semi-related to this conversation), I think it's seriously time to start a funny new thread that is pretty much purely non-Tesla cars that show white vehicles and/or panel gaps and imperfections. Not the worst-of-the-worst pics we can pull from the internet, but photos from our own driveways and neighborhood. I know some will argue, 'well these other Makes and Models are not a $50k+ vehicles,' but the point is it would be fun to see how much we didn't pay attention to these things before. Does anyone have a link to such a thread already in existence? If so, I'm happy to add some photos of our Honda Odyssey ;)

Reactions: techMology
As a side note (semi-related to this conversation), I think it's seriously time to start a funny new thread that is pretty much purely non-Tesla cars that show white vehicles and/or panel gaps and imperfections. Not the worst-of-the-worst pics we can pull from the internet, but photos from our own driveways and neighborhood. I know some will argue, 'well these other Makes and Models are not a $50k+ vehicles,' but the point is it would be fun to see how much we didn't pay attention to these things before. Does anyone have a link to such a thread already in existence? If so, I'm happy to add some photos of our Honda Odyssey ;)
funny you say that -- ive been collecting those types of pics for 3 months now. Certainly this stuff exists - in fact - a lot of white cars have mismatching doors and the yellowish bumper

funny you say that -- ive been collecting those types of pics for 3 months now. Certainly this stuff exists - in fact - a lot of white cars have mismatching doors and the yellowish bumper

Anecdotes are fun. My $28k pearl white Subaru WRX had extremely consistent gaps and near perfect paint match. Spend any amount of time in the Subaru forums and you’ll discover that people don’t spend lots of time complaining about match or gaps.

I stopped by the Fremont factory today and saw a Pearl White with a fresh VIN, color difference does exist when comparing the front door to the rear door to the rear quarter. I looked at the loaner Pearl White vehicles there and could see a slight yellow tint on the bumpers. I thought panel gaps looked really good on the Model Ys there, no real complaints.

A neighbors Pearl White looks really good, but the bumper color was off just a touch. Another Pearl White, just outside my neighborhood looked really good.

I think it's the luck of the draw at this point.

I took delivery yesterday white on black. 3 minor issues with the same 3 issues everyone having. and a new one today. where the trunk will close when you push the button but, not lock unless you press down on the trunk then it will lock. I have an appointment to get those issues corrected. other then that the car is amazing! the color matching was perfect biggest concerned was no issue at all..

Here’s the pics lol!!

Attachments

• D2FA6E25-BC73-4314-9D5E-B4E69389050A.jpeg
    D2FA6E25-BC73-4314-9D5E-B4E69389050A.jpeg
    733.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 073D4406-33B3-4671-B4A8-1061200FD108.jpeg
    073D4406-33B3-4671-B4A8-1061200FD108.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 171
  • DEDB0749-D447-4D89-B880-F6617A8408E7.jpeg
    DEDB0749-D447-4D89-B880-F6617A8408E7.jpeg
    493.2 KB · Views: 175
I saw a new white M3 picked up today. Staring hard at the bumper I can imagine a small mismatch same as my white MY. The M3 had slightly worse panel alignment than my Y.

So after recently seeing several new Y and several new 3 I think all are up to standard Tesla quality. It's not like buying an Mercedes AMG, but its good enough. I don't think the problem has been primarily Tesla sloppy manufacturing. I think it's Tesla letting some cars get to consumers that those buyers should have never seen. A regular old car dealer would not deliver those cars to customers in that condition.

Even the basic detailing isn't fully up to regular car dealer standards. Everyone hates car dealers, but the typical multimillionaire owner spends time in and around the processes that deliver pristine cars. He owns the cars before they are sold.

just saw this car parked and didn't want to look too much like a stalker so only took two pics. All 4 doors were badly out of alignment, in all imaginable axes. Unfortunately I didn't get the VIN, but it was a new car with a paper plate still attached Rear bumper was yellowish compared to the rest of the car, as usual. The door paint matched but showed splotches.

sorry for the poor phone color renditions. The gaps looked worse in person than in the pictures.IMG_7497.JPGIMG_7496.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung