Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does performance feel safer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s my observation on this - my performance sits lower and it does feel more planted than a regular SR or LR. The other major advantage of performance models is the brakes/tires. They are much bigger, better and with the PS4S tires, stopping distance is much shorter and responsiveness much better. So the fact that i can stop 10+ feet shorter than SR+ / LR model is a major safety advantage.

In terms of being able to get out of a bad situation while the car is moving? I’d say no, it doesn’t matter that much.

What matters is the suddenness that you get from instant torque, which all Teslas have.

Improving 0-60 is great, but it’s primarily for bragging rights IMO. Shaving fractions of a second off that doesn’t help you when you’re going 50 and trying to get out of the blind spot of a merging 18 wheeler.
I find that the extra power in the P can really help! I can overtake semis in a second, join busy freeways by powering on to it and get ahead of the people that refuse to let me in! I love the power of the P...although I certainly don't do traffic light racing...no need...most realize I can blow them away!

I find that the extra power in the P can really help! I can overtake semis in a second, join busy freeways by powering on to it and get ahead of the people that refuse to let me in! I love the power of the P...although I certainly don't do traffic light racing...no need...most realize I can blow them away!
Everything said here is every bit as true in the LR, as well.

Reactions: BeeGood

Like @dinonugget said, this is true for the LR and even for the SR+. It’s not 0-60 acceleration that allows you to do this. It’s the instant torque.

It’s like in football where you have a guy who runs a 4.5 covering a guy who runs a 4.3. The 4.5 guy can keep up with the 4.3 guy as long as he has elite short-area suddenness, which, again, is what every Tesla has. That’s what allows you to “jump” out in front of people.

Like @dinonugget said, this is true for the LR and even for the SR+. It’s not 0-60 acceleration that allows you to do this. It’s the instant torque.

It’s like in football where you have a guy who runs a 4.5 covering a guy who runs a 4.3. The 4.5 guy can keep up with the 4.3 guy as long as he has short-area suddenness, which, again, is what every Tesla has. That’s what allows you to “jump” out in front of people.
True but my previous SR+ was not even close to my P in terms of torque. I can overtake in places where I would hesitate in my old SR+...and not even contemplate in my previous ICE!

True but my previous SR+ was not even close to my P in terms of torque. I can overtake in places where I would hesitate in my old SR+...and not even contemplate in my previous ICE!

I’ve never driven the P so I’ll have to take you at your word. I’ve just never been in a situation in over a year of SR+ ownership where I felt like I couldn’t place it where I wanted to as quickly as I wanted to (unless I’m in chill acceleration which I do quite a bit).

I’ve never driven the P so I’ll have to take you at your word. I’ve just never been in a situation in over a year of SR+ ownership where I felt like I couldn’t place it where I wanted to as quickly as I wanted to (unless I’m in chill acceleration which I do quite a bit).
Agreed, when I had the SR+ I too never had a situation where I felt I couldn't place it where I wanted. That's the beauty of Tesla!

I absolutely agree that powerful cars can be safer than less powerful cars (given a driver). Having a car that I could light up the rear tires and toss it sideways saved my skin one day when a giant land yacht was barreling towards me with one tire billowing smoke as they tried to stop for the very very red light...and the red car (me) now in their path. I stood on the go pedal and dumped the clutch. I was pretty sure I was going to die that day. Luckily as they came to occupy the space I was in, my car shot forward and sideways giving them the room they needed and preventing me from becoming one with the old Buick or whatever it was. Anecdotal evidence over.
Performance cars are also way more fun than non. Cause power directly correlates to fun for me.
I’ve been trying to figure out if I really “need” two kidneys as a plaid model s sounds like something I need.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasTezla
I was making a right turn on a 2 lane road (i was on the outside) last night, and then this Toyota just refused to let me in, I had no choice but to take advantage of the torque and acceleration P offers and cut in front of him. Toyota got mad and tried to gain his position back ahead of me by trying to accelerate (after we turned) in the next lane but soon failed because I gave it a little throttle and P just pulls away again. Toyota gave up at that point. So yea...I think P does offer the type of "get out fast when needed" acceleration and torque when necessary. I still can't figure out why Toyota would want to muscle against Tesla...I know there's rumor that Tesla might join force with Toyota but it still ain't Tesla. lol