Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does preheating the car (climate option in app) also precondition the battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I use the climate option in the App to pre-heat the car a few minutes before I intent to leave, does that also pre-condition the battery in cold weather?

I don't have a specific schedule, so I only do this manually about 5 minutes before I intend to leave.

Good question. I also wonder why the app shows the back end being heated (as shown) when there are no vents back there. Perhaps this is it's way of saying the battery is being pre-heated???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-100322.png
    Screenshot_20220119-100322.png
    713.9 KB · Views: 787
Good question. I also wonder why the app shows the back end being heated (as shown) when there are no vents back there. Perhaps this is it's way of saying the battery is being pre-heated???
When preconditioning the Tesla Model Y the red color on the rear window graphic indicates that the rear defroster is active.

Depending on the battery temperature the Tesla Model Y may warm the battery during preconditioning. The battery warming icon is a red (looks like three strips of horizontal bacon) next to the battery status indicator in the upper left corned of the Tesla app.

What’s the forum’s thoughts on setting a daily departure (pre condition) even if you work from home and aren’t driving everyday? Advantages? Disadvantages? How are others navigating this?

My business is about ten miles away from my home. I’ve been turning my climate on manually about 30m before I leave, but I don’t head into the business everyday with this COVID impact.

Curious to learn more on how to best treat this vehicle during the winter months (US/Michigan).

21’ Model Y, Dual Motor, Long Range. Late summer 21’ delivery.

What’s the forum’s thoughts on setting a daily departure (pre condition) even if you work from home and aren’t driving everyday? Advantages? Disadvantages? How are others navigating this?

My business is about ten miles away from my home. I’ve been turning my climate on manually about 30m before I leave, but I don’t head into the business everyday with this COVID impact.

Curious to learn more on how to best treat this vehicle during the winter months (US/Michigan).

If you have Scheduled Departure Preconditioning turned on (either week days or every day) and you don't commute then you are just wasting energy, $. In cold weather it can use 2% of the battery to precondition to the selected temperature, so ~1.5 - 2kWh. Depending on what you pay for electricity you would be spending $0.20 to $0.30 each day; up to ~$10.00 per month.

If you have Scheduled Departure Preconditioning turned on (either week days or every day) and you don't commute then you are just wasting energy, $. In cold weather it can use 2% of the battery to precondition to the selected temperature, so ~1.5 - 2kWh. Depending on what you pay for electricity you would be spending $0.20 to $0.30 each day; up to ~$10.00 per month.
Right, right. To be clear, I have not been pre conditioning or using the departure feature in the app. I’ve been turning my climate on about 30m before leaving. Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it.

Right, right. To be clear, I have not been pre conditioning or using the departure feature in the app. I’ve been turning my climate on about 30m before leaving. Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it.
If you don't commute or otherwise drive your Tesla Model Y every day unless you are currently signed up for a time of use (TOU) rate plan you would save energy, a little $ if you plug in and charge immediately as soon as you arrive back home. The reason is that the Tesla Model Y battery pack would already have been warmed from driving.

@jcanoe's point above is spot on.

The rest really is up to you. You aren't harming the battery by preconditioning and then not going anywhere. Keep the car plugged in when you can. Charge to 80 in the summer and 90 in the winter (93 per Papa Elon?).

My wife and I both drive Tesla's and our schedules vary on days and hours. She prefers to have hers precondition daily based on the earliest she goes in, I turn mine on 20-30 prior when it's cold.

Preconditioning in cold weather absolutely will help you maximize range but in your case this sounds like it's not an issue.

I personally don't precondition when I am "on-peak" ($0.17) here other than a few minutes for the cabin. Off-peak ($0.07) I always precondition, or before I start my long range commute and need optimal performance.

What science do I have on that? None. But I'm happy with my current electric bill!

Reactions: shanegrush
If I use the climate option in the App to pre-heat the car a few minutes before I intent to leave, does that also pre-condition the battery in cold weather?

I don't have a specific schedule, so I only do this manually about 5 minutes before I intend to leave.
I posted some information here in post #8 and #9:

Short answer is yes.
Disregard my earlier comments in the thread (post 5) since software updates since then have eliminated previous issues.

Last year I used the cabin heat to precondition. This year, I'm charging my vehicle before I leave for work since it's more effective. A 1-2 hour charging session puts my battery pack at the same temp as if I were to spend 15 minutes preconditioning. The difference is, the latter method requires almost 2 kW of energy.

Reactions: shanegrush