Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does PW make sense if utility has net metering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excuse my ignorance. I am eligible for a free powerwall and I'm thinking of adding a second to get me completely off-grid. But i live in MD (metro DC area serviced by PEPCO) which has net metering, so I'm having trouble understanding the logic of getting a PW beyond having a battery backup in case of power outages. What am I missing?

My local utility does full net metering and does no ToU pricing so my Powerwall is 100% for backup. My reasons were:

1) Powerwall + Solar was cheaper for backup than a standby generator both in terms of install cost and maintenance. Also offers a bit more resilience for myself being in an earthquake zone.

2) While our utility does not do ToU today I will be surprised if it doesn't at some point in the next 10 years.

3) While our utility does full net metering today I have no assurances that will continue forever.

• Helpful
Reactions: TBrownTX and ra88it
How reliable is the utility there? How much peace of mind is it worth to have a backup battery especially when you get 2:1?
Future unknown about power company and what they will do with fees.
Will you be living in that house for a long time?
Can I assume you have solar? We have lots of smart folks here to help with answers. I am still a tenderfoot.:)

Could you elaborate? Not quite sure I follow
You spoke about a Powerwall as less expensive to install and less maintenance cost and I was trying to add the operating (fuel) cost of running a generator vs the free fuel from the sun that comes with a PowerWall. Leveraging solar just lets a PowerWall owner store solar energy for use at another time to offset higher costs of energy. You can't do that with a generator.

You spoke about a Powerwall as less expensive to install and less maintenance cost and I was trying to add the operating (fuel) cost of running a generator vs the free fuel from the sun that comes with a PowerWall. Leveraging solar just lets a PowerWall owner store solar energy for use at another time to offset higher costs of energy. You can't do that with a generator.

All of this is correct :)

My reason for the Powerwalls is 2 fold. Backup and cost savings.

First, cost savings. We are on time of use plan with summertime rates of at least $0.40 from 4PM - 9PM M-F and at least $0.20 outside that time. With the Powerwall I can use electricity and save at least the 0,.40/kW during the evenings and hopefully most of the $0.20 the rest of the day. This can mean saving over $500.00 a month in the summer and December.

Second, Backup. Our neighborhood is feed by power that is transmitted above ground and then goes underground in the neighborhood. But not seeing power lines outside my window does not matter. With high fall winds (50mph +) the lines that lead to the neighborhood are subject to shutdown or failure. In the last 12 months we have had over 40 hours without power because of actual failures and preventative shutdown. I am hoping the Powerwalls mean in the near future, a shutdown of this sort is nothing more than a minor inconvenience,

With net metering and a big enough array I do not have to pay for any electricity generally but we do also have TOU pricing so if the “seasonal battery” were to run out in late winter the balance would be priced at the lowest tier. If net metering is not enough to cover all use then PW makes it easier to live with TOU. Otherwise financially Powerwall is just a substitute for a generator.

In Texas, net metering is not required, so there are only a few plans that have "solar buyback".

Since we are at risk of hurricanes, our 4 PowerWalls should provide enough power to keep us off-grid (with essential devices) for days after a hurricane.

We're currently paying $.091/KWh for electricity on a standard rate plan, and using the solar panels and PowerWalls to provide as much electricity as possible, and trying to avoid sending any power back to the grid (because we aren't compensated for that).

A net metering plan would cost us $.149/KWh. Any electricity sent back to the grid would be credited at this rate. Because we are able to keep the power we send back to the grid close to zero, using the net metering plan would increase our electric bill by 63%!

With our 15.4KW of solar panels and 4 PowerWalls, we've been able to reduce our electric bills by over half. Using net metering and no PowerWalls, we would have seen a much smaller decrease in cost savings.

The combination of the cost savings and the ability to operate off-grid (after a hurricane) justified our PowerWall purchase.

Instead of net metering, we're looking at the possibility of using a "free nights" plan that would give us free electricity from 9PM to 9AM. We would be charge $.185/KWh for electricity during the day, and would plan to use grid power only during the free nights. We're projecting we may be able to reduce our electric bills by an additional 50% (even with the higher per KWh rate) because our PowerWalls can provide us enough power to keep our "day" time usage pretty low.

If you have access to smart metering data and you've been operating a system with a single PowerWall for at least several months, you should be able to look at the actual data and see if you'd benefit economically from adding a PowerWall.

Otherwise, the only advantage would be to extend off-grid operation, and the value of that depends upon your risk of losing power and for how long.

Thanks for all of the excellent answers. Here is MD, PEPCO does net metering and there is a very small difference between peak and non-peak charges under their RTM pricing structure. PEPCO does not utilize TOU charging. So other than having a backup generator, I'm not really sure that PW makes sense for me.

Sounds like it does not make sense unless you have spotty power.

Excuse my ignorance. I am eligible for a free powerwall and I'm thinking of adding a second to get me completely off-grid. But i live in MD (metro DC area serviced by PEPCO) which has net metering, so I'm having trouble understanding the logic of getting a PW beyond having a battery backup in case of power outages. What am I missing?

We are in the same net metering position you are. It makes no financial sense whatsoever. We got ours because of the frequent power outages we get and for peace of mind should the deification hit the rotary oscillator.

ROI for Powerwalls is elusive to non-existent - like Big Foot - Powerwalls are a home appliance and have the same ROI as a whole home generator (i.e. none)…they do however enhance Solar and quality of life during an outage. Keeping your Solar online during an outage is a very very big deal and greatly increases the intangible value of your existing Solar system.

If you deal with a lot of power outages Powerwalls will definitely improve things for you.

Reactions: jboy210
ROI for Powerwalls is elusive to non-existent - like Big Foot - Powerwalls are a home appliance and have the same ROI as a whole home generator (i.e. none)…they do however enhance Solar and quality of life during an outage. Keeping your Solar online during an outage is a very very big deal and greatly increases the intangible value of your existing Solar system.

If you deal with a lot of power outages Powerwalls will definitely improve things for you.

Keeping your solar online during an outage is very tangible, which is the return (R) part in ROI. Just because you're not getting daily value out of something doesn't make it valueless.