Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Radio require premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
I was under the impression premium connectivity is not required for Radio. I bought my model 3 in March 2022. The radio was playing when the trial period for premium connectivity expired. But all of a sudden as soon as I lose wifi connection i.e. move away from my house, Radio stops playing with the message premium connectivity required to play radio.

Has anyone else experienced this please?
How do I get my radio play without premium connectivity?

Tesla's Connectivity support article (Connectivity) says FM Radio is included with Standard Connectivity. Is that what you're listening to? Any radio broadcast coming through a streaming service would require Premium Connectivity.
Yes correct FM radio and not via streaming device, as I said radio was working when my trial period for premium connectivity expired

Upvote 0
Yes correct FM radio and not via streaming device, as I said radio was working when my trial period for premium connectivity expired
If FM radio isn’t working without WiFi on Standard Connectivity, I suggest you contact the service center and inquire about it. Maybe there’s a hardware issue.

I asked about streaming because you can listen to radio stations via the TuneIn streaming app in the US, and that would require either Premium Connectivity or WiFi.

Upvote 0
A bit off topic, but I am actually curious what happens in 8 years for people that order the car after 7/20/22, where standard connectivity is no longer free. Is it just basically a very low tech car at this point?
Tesla finally puts an end to its unlimited 'Standard Connectivity' with now 8-year limit
Actually still included for 8 years, just that it will expire.

However, currently connectivity page only list Navigation as the feature for standard connectivity. Without it, it may fall back to the built in nav with no autocomplete for addresses and you have to enter addresses in a form like older nav units (if you are in area with no reception you sometimes see that).

Not sure however if the app features will be affected.

8 years is still a fairly long time, by then we may see another 4G phase out coming and people may need to use hotspots anyways (although supporting remote unlock would be an issue).

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
Upvote 0
Hello
I was under the impression premium connectivity is not required for Radio. I bought my model 3 in March 2022. The radio was playing when the trial period for premium connectivity expired. But all of a sudden as soon as I lose wifi connection i.e. move away from my house, Radio stops playing with the message premium connectivity required to play radio.

Has anyone else experienced this please?
How do I get my radio play without premium connectivity?
Hi, my 2021 MYLR premium trial ended last month. The only thing I can do now is to enable a hotspot though my iPhone, then connect the car through that. It's really a PITA, as it has to be done every time I get in the car. If there's another workaround, please let me know!

Upvote 0
Hi, my 2021 MYLR premium trial ended last month. The only thing I can do now is to enable a hotspot though my iPhone, then connect the car through that. It's really a PITA, as it has to be done every time I get in the car. If there's another workaround, please let me know!
You could purchase premium connectivity. If you purchase for the year, it will save you $20 and a lot of headache.

Upvote 0
I've got a Samsung phone and use bixby routines to turn a WiFi hotspot on/off at the times I'm in my car. It works well during the week as I work the same hours each day so it's one for 30 mins in the morning, then I have it on for longer on a night (ferry kids around). Works reasonably well but it's not perfect. It does chug the battery but I work hard for my cash and don't feel like giving it away.

Upvote 0
So I should get FM radio without paying for premium connectivity. What about DAB radio here in the UK?
FM radio uses a separate antenna and is included free with the car. The built in steaming options however will cost you because it uses the car's data connection and you pay the monthly or yearly Premium Connectivity fee for it. Some options may still work however via hotspot from your phone, but I'm not familiar as I don't use them. You can also always stream via Bluetooth with your phone.

Reactions: afadeev and rpiotro
Upvote 0
A bit off topic, but I am actually curious what happens in 8 years for people that order the car after 7/20/22, where standard connectivity is no longer free. Is it just basically a very low tech car at this point?

It's will be the same car, minus a few frivolous infotainment features (music streaming, live traffic, online nav).
You could remedy all of the above by either:
1). Paying Tesla $10/month.
2). setting WiFi hotspot with your phone, and using the data plan on your cell.

#1 is viable for only as long as vehicle itself can establish 4G cellular connectivity. 8 years from now, that may become increasingly challenging in the US, with every carrier having moved to 5G and actively refarming the spectrum from 4 to 5G coverage by 2030s.
#2 will work forever.

HTH,
a

Upvote 0