Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does range mode reduce supercharging time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am not sure if this has been addressed, but does setting range mode reduce supercharging time? I ask because I have not been able to get 120KW charging on my new 90D. The most I was able to get was around 108KW even at low SOC. Also the fan would kick in pretty early in the charge sessions and the current would drop way before 50%. I hear the 90Ds should be charging max power pretty much through out the charge session and only start tapering around 50% or so. The reason I ask is I know range mode heats up the battery. Does this mean the battery can be a bit hotter when supercharging meaning I can charge at higher current longer if I have range mode on?

I think your likely just using superchargers that aren't perfect.

I did some supercharger time tests a few years ago, and got some great feedback from Tesla back then. (Look at my blog if your curious to get nerdy).

But basically it is kind of hard to get 120kW most of the time. I typically see 113kW. The superchargers require some maintenance from time to time.

Range mode should not affect Supercharging directly. I've supercharged over 400 times and I rarely get 120 kW. That's the beauty of marketing. They talk about 'up to'. The few times I actually got 120 kW was only for a short time.

In Arizona I had the opposite happen to me. It was hot outside and battery cooling was behind the curve, so supercharging power was reduced until the battery was cool enough to except full charge. This was verified by tech support over the phone.

Yes that can happen. With TM-Spy I watched the battery temperature on my last trip. After a longer uphill section the battery got hot. At the next Supercharger the rate was a little lower than usual.

Range mode limits the heating and cooling of the battery and cabin, so having range mode on should make the Supercharging take longer because the car will have to get less power from the SC to keep things cool. In my opinion, range mode should never be on when plugged in. The only time I use range mode is in the winter.

I think range mode also heats the battery, or lets it stay warmer than usual, which provides extra range. So technically, perhaps, if you arrive for supercharging with range mode on, your battery will take a little longer to cool before supercharging begins. So it might take longer to supercharger with range mode on but I doubt it's very much longer.

I stopped using range mode for long distance travel unless I really needed the range, since it might sacrifice battery health for more range. That's just speculation on my part though from the posts here about battery temp with range mode on vs. range mode off.

I think range mode also heats the battery, or lets it stay warmer than usual, which provides extra range. So technically, perhaps, if you arrive for supercharging with range mode on, your battery will take a little longer to cool before supercharging begins. So it might take longer to supercharger with range mode on but I doubt it's very much longer.

I stopped using range mode for long distance travel unless I really needed the range, since it might sacrifice battery health for more range. That's just speculation on my part though from the posts here about battery temp with range mode on vs. range mode off.

I don't use it in summer pretty much for the same reason you don't use it, but in the winter you can easily see the difference in battery heating while charging by comparing the amount of regen braking allowed when you start to drive*. If it's on, regen is very limited--close to zero. If it's off, the regen allowed is much higher 30 kW or more.

*Assumes you have set the start time so that charging ends about the same time you start to drive, and use preheating. Car is parked outside and ambient temperature is freezing or slightly below freezing. (e.g. not -20)

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck

I stopped using range mode for long distance travel unless I really needed the range, since it might sacrifice battery health for more range. That's just speculation on my part though from the posts here about battery temp with range mode on vs. range mode off

I have been keeping track of battery temperature for quite some time under various conditions. Yes the battery will be kept at a little higher temperature when in range mode, but in warm weather it makes little difference because the battery will eventually reach the same temperature. On long trips your battery will reach the same temperature pretty soon one way or another. In cold weather it will probably make more of a difference. Where I live, we never have cold weather so I have no real evidence.

The battery can take a higher charge and discharge rate at a higher temperature. The chemical process just 'runs' better. The cooler the battery, the lower the charge and discharge rate. So in a way you want the battery to be pretty warm while Supercharging, but of course not exceed a healthy level. It would not help to cool the battery down a lot before Supercharging. It would be ideal to keep it warm and once it's charging keeping at that temperature. It would require a very strong cooling system because you don't have much room for temperature fluctuations.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I don't use it in summer pretty much for the same reason you don't use it, but in the winter you can easily see the difference in battery heating while charging by comparing the amount of regen braking allowed when you start to drive*. If it's on, regen is very limited--close to zero. If it's off, the regen allowed is much higher 30 kW or more.

*Assumes you have set the start time so that charging ends about the same time you start to drive, and use preheating. Car is parked outside and ambient temperature is freezing or slightly below freezing. (e.g. not -20)

this is because range mode does not allow the battery to be heated through the HV battery heater, solely relying on motor/ inverter heat, correct?

this is because range mode does not allow the battery to be heated through the HV battery heater, solely relying on motor/ inverter heat, correct?

Yes. Range mode will only kick in the heating or cooling when the temperature threatens to harm the battery. With range mode off heating and cooling start well before the limits.