Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does retrofitting dual charger come with the HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't order my car with the "High Power Home Charging" kit as the way its advertised, it only comes across as being beneficial in the home. In other words, they fit your home with something that allows you to charge faster in the home. I assumed my car would still charge at 80A outside of the home (e.g., at an HPWC). I'm sure that many of you picked this up, but it didn't come across to me. Especially since I live in an apartment-like complex, I skipped over it quickly. Little did I know this would limit me to 40A outside the home also :p

All of that said... it's $2,700 if you get it installed with your car these days. The way it is worded, it seems as though your car is fitted with the dual charger (internally), and then they give you a HPWC to install in your home. Is that correct? In terms of retrofitting, there is a "Dual Charger with Installation" on the accessories website. This clearly replaces your internal single charger with a dual charger. My question is whether the $3,600 retrofit also comes with the HPWC or is that also an additional charge?

I really wish they would not word dual charging as "High Power Home Charging" as it has an effect outside of the home.

Thanks!

Yup, a decision that I'm thoroughly regretting now. Back when I ordered in Aug 2012, the twin charger was not bundled with the HPWC and cost "just" $1,500.

I'm right there with you, gg. I've been a bit in touch with some people at Tesla recently since I just received my order, and I just sent them feedback about this:

I have one last piece of feedback actually, maybe you can point this to the right person! I think that "High Power Home Charging" is inaccurately described on the design website.

What absolutely does not come across from this wording (that I realized today) is that this relates outside of the home also. I plugged my Tesla in to an HPWC at Tesla Motors in Palo Alto tonight, and I noticed I was only charging at 40A and not the full 80A. After investigating this online, it is because I did not select "High Power Home Charging" -- see how this is misleading? Even the description does not capture this: "This combo lets owners charge quickly at home..." -- totally omitting external chargers at 80A. I did not select this option on my car at the time I ordered it since I live in an apartment-like complex and could not install an HPWC. However, I assumed I could still use an HPWC to full capacity elsewhere, only to be a bit disappointed.

There is an extremely high probability I would have selected this as an option (and potentially others?) now that I see I'm limited to 40A, and unfortunately it's almost double the cost to retrofit it ($3,600 for the twin charger, $1200 for the HPWC). It should likely be split on the order page like it is in the accessory store: "Dual charging capability" and "High Power Wall Connector" -- clearly they are independent!

Just some feedback! Maybe you can point it in the right direction... I know Tesla is still in its growing stages, so I figured the feedback could help.

Twin chargers and the HPWC used to be separate order-able items. In mid 2013 Tesla bundled them. You're not the first to be confused by the wording, or to suggest Tesla unbundle the charger and the HPWC again. Sorry this happened to you. There are numerous threads on TMC on this subject.

I really don't understand the decision to bundle these items, except that it must be that the HPWC has a much higher margin than the extra charger. From this forum, I knew about the bundling when I ordered, but I emailed the company and asked if I could get just the 2nd charger on the off chance they might let it through. They didn't.

I really don't understand the decision to bundle these items, except that it must be that the HPWC has a much higher margin than the extra charger. From this forum, I knew about the bundling when I ordered, but I emailed the company and asked if I could get just the 2nd charger on the off chance they might let it through. They didn't.

Other people have been allowed to get the Twin Chargers without the HPWC, and have posted about it here at TMC. I would try contacting Tesla HQ.

GSP

I tried that--emailing corporate after I submitted an order (in Nov 2013). They said no. So either the policy changed at some point, or it is a case by case result that depends on whose desk your email hits.

Yes, I've had the car since mid December. It's a shame that they aren't more consistent, but I haven't really missed the second charger yet. Hopefully I won't need it...