TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does retrofitting dual charger come with the HPWC?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gnychis, Feb 4, 2014.

1. gnychis

gnychis Member

I didn't order my car with the "High Power Home Charging" kit as the way its advertised, it only comes across as being beneficial in the home. In other words, they fit your home with something that allows you to charge faster in the home. I assumed my car would still charge at 80A outside of the home (e.g., at an HPWC). I'm sure that many of you picked this up, but it didn't come across to me. Especially since I live in an apartment-like complex, I skipped over it quickly. Little did I know this would limit me to 40A outside the home also :p

All of that said... it's $2,700 if you get it installed with your car these days. The way it is worded, it seems as though your car is fitted with the dual charger (internally), and then they give you a HPWC to install in your home. Is that correct? In terms of retrofitting, there is a "Dual Charger with Installation" on the accessories website. This clearly replaces your internal single charger with a dual charger. My question is whether the $3,600 retrofit also comes with the HPWC or is that also an additional charge?

I really wish they would not word dual charging as "High Power Home Charging" as it has an effect outside of the home.

Thanks!

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

3. gnychis

gnychis Member

4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yup, a decision that I'm thoroughly regretting now. Back when I ordered in Aug 2012, the twin charger was not bundled with the HPWC and cost "just" $1,500.

5. gnychis

gnychis Member

I'm right there with you, gg. I've been a bit in touch with some people at Tesla recently since I just received my order, and I just sent them feedback about this:

6. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I as well am regretting not ordering this at time of purchase.

7. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Twin chargers and the HPWC used to be separate order-able items. In mid 2013 Tesla bundled them. You're not the first to be confused by the wording, or to suggest Tesla unbundle the charger and the HPWC again. Sorry this happened to you. There are numerous threads on TMC on this subject.

8. JST

JST Active Member

I really don't understand the decision to bundle these items, except that it must be that the HPWC has a much higher margin than the extra charger. From this forum, I knew about the bundling when I ordered, but I emailed the company and asked if I could get just the 2nd charger on the off chance they might let it through. They didn't.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My assumption is that they want as many people to get the HPWC as possible so that they are using it rather than the UMC.

10. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

No regrets here. Daily commute is < 100 miles usually. Plug it into my 14-50 and back to 90% overnight. Very few high output chargers here in the ATL so no point

11. GSP

GSP Member

Other people have been allowed to get the Twin Chargers without the HPWC, and have posted about it here at TMC. I would try contacting Tesla HQ.

GSP

12. amitb00

amitb00 Member

I added twin charger without HPWC at cost of 1500. I added it after vin was assigned. So you can still get it at 1500, but you have to send mail or call them.

13. JST

JST Active Member

I tried that--emailing corporate after I submitted an order (in Nov 2013). They said no. So either the policy changed at some point, or it is a case by case result that depends on whose desk your email hits.

14. amitb00

amitb00 Member

Hmm ... Have you received the car? Else I can share my contact with you. I think Tesla should be more transparent about it and unbundle it in a transparent way.

15. JST

JST Active Member

Yes, I've had the car since mid December. It's a shame that they aren't more consistent, but I haven't really missed the second charger yet. Hopefully I won't need it...