Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does S/X get priority at supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd just urge people to not be too smug or preachy when "explaining" how paired superchargers work because they don't all pair in the same way.

Last week on a road trip, I went to a supercharger in NC I think, and Plugshare noted that the pairing was 1A to 2A and 3A to 4A, not 1A to 1B as you might expect. I parked appropriately and some middle-aged guy jumped out of his S and started mansplaining pairing to me as I plugged in without even checking whether he was getting reduced speed.

I did point out the Plugshare comment, but he was far more interested in being righteous, than correct.
o_O Wow. Interesting that you assumed this was "mansplaining" and being "righteous" because you assumed what you saw in the note was clearly correct.

I hadn't seen what the note said, but if that is what it actually stated, then the note was wrong. Pairing never works that way.
As some people pointed out, sometimes the sites do have notes talking about the really strange placement. But at least they do keep pairing on a consistent system that the number always represents the stack of charging hardware, and the letters A and B are the two halves sharing it.

I am also kind of curious which site that was on Plugshare, because if someone did put something in the notes that is incorrect about how the pairing is, we should get that corrected.

Stupid question:
how does the stall pairing work?

1A-1B, 2A-2B, 1A-2A, 1B-2B or always the one next to each other, etc...
The supercharger I use / when I use it is always empty so my ignorance has not been an issue yet
Telsa at each location should write on the pump which pump it is paired with to make it easier for all.

Both times the model X owners plugged in walked off. I'm not going to go chase someone down and tell them to move.

They may not have known, so I guess it’s up to you to move then or wait it out. And yes sometimes it does take a while even if you plug in to an unoccupied pair to have your car “get up to speed”, particularly if your car battery is cold. If you Navigate to the Supercharger, Tesla’s software will pre-warm the battery for a faster charge. Something that they introduced not that long ago.

Pairing also isn’t an issue on urban chargers. Max will be 72kW depending on your state of charge.

Last edited:
o_O Wow. Interesting that you assumed this was "mansplaining" and being "righteous" because you assumed what you saw in the note was clearly correct.

What was in the Plugshare comment was evidently correct, a few cars later proved this out quite clearly. I didn't explain it very well above.

BTW mansplaining isn't me being anti-man, it simply means someone explaining a topic to another person (often, but not always a woman) who is equally well versed in the topic.

I hadn't seen what the note said, but if that is what it actually stated, then the note was wrong. Pairing never works that way.
As some people pointed out, sometimes the sites do have notes talking about the really strange placement. But at least they do keep pairing on a consistent system that the number always represents the stack of charging hardware, and the letters A and B are the two halves sharing it.

I am also kind of curious which site that was on Plugshare, because if someone did put something in the notes that is incorrect about how the pairing is, we should get that corrected.

You're right. The comment actually says “Watch how they are setup, pairs aren’t next to each other. 1A is next to 2A.”

This is the Rocky Mount SC in NC and 1A is next door to 2A but they're not paired, at least they don't behave like they're paired.

I also agree with you on correcting Plughshare descriptions. I had to edit the Glen Allen description because someone said fees applied to it, and then later in the paragraph said "it's only free if you get free unlimited supercharging" which of course is true of all supercharging. Generally only SC's in paid parking or behind valet parking should be tagged as requiring a fee.

Anyhoo...

Reactions: Rocky_H
Stupid question:
how does the stall pairing work?

1A-1B, 2A-2B, 1A-2A, 1B-2B or always the one next to each other, etc...
The supercharger I use / when I use it is always empty so my ignorance has not been an issue yet
Telsa at each location should write on the pump which pump it is paired with to make it easier for all.

It is on the charging equipment but not always that easy to see driving in. I always thought the identifying markings should be facing outward towards the roadway area and placed at the top of the equipment not at the bottom. I’m sure a lot of new drivers don’t even know they are marked.