Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Sense energy monitor work with Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I read a thread on this here I think, but wanted to get some recent information.

SITUATION:

1. Solar City 8.745 Kw installed in 2015 (currently leased, contemplating buying it out in 2020 when I can)
2. System has 2 inverters from ABB, a 4.2 and 3.0 kW per the label.
3. Square D panel with 200 Amp Service. House built in 2007.
4. Prior to getting the Model 3 in Dec 2018, solar was generating about 115% of my yearly usage. With model 3 I am not quite sure how its going to turn out this year, but obviously its going to be less as I charge exclusively at home.

Solar city did NOT install a "consumption" device when they installed my solar. When I asked about it back then, I was told something about the "direction of my main feeds" or something. I really want to see consumption, but have been unable to since 2015.

I now have(2) Powerwall 2s on order that I am going to purchase outright to add to my system to take advantage of the 30% Income Tax credit. I have been reading here, and see that the Powerwall comes with the install of a neurino (sp?) device that monitors consumption. I do not believe it goes to the level of something like sense, however. I really would like the information that sense says it provides to see where I can save some energy.

The question I have is, if I get a sense monitor and have it installed prior to the powerwall install, will the installers who install the powerwall be able to work with? I have this picture in my head of both devices not being able to be in the panel, or with the sense not being able to help me decipher specific device usage like its designed.

Im assuming most here might be familar with such a device but if not, link below.

Any thoughts, suggestions welcome. Goal is to be able to use a device to monitor consumption down to the device level, even after the powerwall install.

The Sense Home Energy Monitor

Anyone have any suggestions other than sense (since that one wont work), for getting detailed consumption information, given my setup listed above?

I don't have any experience with Sense, but I used Bidgely for a while. I found the concept of energy disaggregation interesting, but ultimately the data was not that useful. The problem is the energy signatures of different appliances were just not clear enough that the data that came back was actionable. A large portion of the energy usage was just classified as background use. It's this background use that would be most interesting to understand.

Ultimately, I think the Powerwall's consumption reporting is good enough for most uses. It's easy to see when the air conditioner, dryer or car charger kick on (the first two being the items that Bidgely was able to classify reliably). The smaller loads can be found by turning individual appliances off and seeing the total load react. The Neurio in the Powerwall reports quickly enough to see the changes pretty clearly.

It's possible Sense is much better than Bidgely, but based on my experience I don't really miss the detailed consumption numbers.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I don't have any experience with Sense, but I used Bidgely for a while. I found the concept of energy disaggregation interesting, but ultimately the data was not that useful. The problem is the energy signatures of different appliances were just not clear enough that the data that came back was actionable. A large portion of the energy usage was just classified as background use. It's this background use that would be most interesting to understand.

Ultimately, I think the Powerwall's consumption reporting is good enough for most uses. It's easy to see when the air conditioner, dryer or car charger kick on (the first two being the items that Bidgely was able to classify reliably). The smaller loads can be found by turning individual appliances off and seeing the total load react. The Neurio in the Powerwall reports quickly enough to see the changes pretty clearly.

It's possible Sense is much better than Bidgely, but based on my experience I don't really miss the detailed consumption numbers.

Thanks for taking the time to respond with your feedback, appreciate it :)

Anyone have any suggestions other than sense (since that one wont work), for getting detailed consumption information, given my setup listed above?

The existing PW monitoring is good enough for total solar, and total consumption.

For individual TED Pro (maybe), or this other device suggested off Amazon inside the Sensor Monitor reviews: Home - Brand

Boils down to nothing is more accurate than individual plug monitoring. I use TP-Link smart-plugs, with energy-monitoring, for that.

Next best is CTs on every major breaker/line. This is where the TED Pro and the IoTaWatt seems to fill that role well.

Worse best is Sense where it tries to identify devices via no-manual training AI, over a very long, past-warranty-return-lemon-laws-statutes-of-limitations time period.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin