Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does smart preconditioning work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife had her MS 100D for 7 weeks now and she turned the smart preconditioning on since her schedule is fixed. The car doesn’t seem to learn her schedule (8-4 weekdays) yet and I wonder if we are missing something here.
Thanks in advance.

It never worked for me. One Sunday at two in the afternoon, my wife came in from the garage and said, your car is...running. I went out to the garage and sure enough, the heater was on and it was warm in the car. My commute is 7 and 430 on weekdays.

After that happened a second time I turned smart preconditioning off.

I've had it turned on for a few months now to see if it works. I leave the house at exactly 8:30 every morning and it still hasn't caught on to that yet! I also leave the house regularly at 14:00 and occasionally I've found it pre-heated at that time. It basically it doesn't live up to the "smart" bit, but it does occasionally work on a fairly random basis. This thread has reminded me to switch it off as I suspect it preheats at times when I don't want it to.

Mine is a 2014 S and the only A/C preconditioning I get is if I manually turn it on in the app. One option I wish existed on the nights I am charging is to have the house power pre-warm the battery for my morning commute instead of dealing with the heater sucking up the energy via the car's battery power packs. That would cut down on battery degradation and increase battery life cycles.

Reactions: Sambas
I use TeslaFi to schedule my preconditioning. It's nice because I'll have it start preconditioning around the time I normally leave work, but if my car is till parked at work 10 minutes after I normally leave I have it stop preconditioning and start again an hour later in case I'm leaving work late that day.

That is exactly what I wrote TeslaTasks for. Some things can't be AI-ed, but need a clear instruction when to do something.

I kind of agree, being able to set up your own scheduled pre-conditioning routine would be a good solution. But it should be able to work out a simple automated schedule based on your weekly routine - which it clearly cannot do at present. No idea why it's still so poor after all these years.