TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does Software Update preference > ADVANCED do anything?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ybbor, Jun 4, 2019.

1. ybbor

ybbor Member

"You now have the option to receive new software updates as soon as they are available for your car configuration and region. Tap Controls > Software > Software Update preference > ADVANCED."

I've set my car to Advanced in software update preferences and i'm connected to WiFi 23 hours a day. I've been seeing people get 2019.16.3.2 for the past 5 days, and a fare number in California like me for the past 3 days. Do I need to do anything to make the car check for the update?

My HomeLink has been messed up since getting 2019.16.2 and would really like the next update.

2. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Member

I'm in the same situation as you. Got 2019.16.2, immediately turned on "ADVANCED" and now nothing. Some people have told me it doesn't apply to decimal upgrades, which would be disappointing if so. If I'm getting the latest software, it would be nice to get the latest bug fixes as well.

Also the "for your car configuration and region" is still awfully specific. They could send out the new update only to LR Model 3 RWD without AP in Idaho first, before rolling them out elsewhere, for all we know.

• Informative x 1
  3. DeepBlue3

DeepBlue3 Member

Apparently it does not work because I'm on 2019.15.11 and have it set to advanced and the car says my "Software is up to date". This whole time I figured I was on 2019.16.x

I live an hour from NYC so can't argue I'm in a remote location.

4. RSL2020

RSL2020 Member

Bad news here -> half of us are still on 2019.12.1.2.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  5. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

2019.16.2 has been a mess for me and now my car won’t visualize lanes/cars or allow AP...

So I wouldn’t get worked up about it.

6. pitabun

pitabun Member

I enabled it as well, SoCal, and received an OTA update yesterday for 16.3.

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.16.2

We enabled it on three cars over two weeks ago. No updates on any of those cars yet but a fourth car did get updated to 16.3.

• Informative x 1
  8. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Member

Given all this feedback, I wonder if that toggle switch is little more than an extra flag that gets sent to Tesla's update servers. In the future they may choose to prioritize updates based on it, but maybe not yet.

• Like x 1
  9. DeepBlue3

DeepBlue3 Member

Yeah so it doesn't work lol

10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I suspect it helps with those 1000 car a day rollouts on a TeslaFi, getting you into that first 20% of the fleet for a large rollout.

For more minor and small rollout updates I highly doubt Tesla would increase the number of cars they’re willing to put on that update. Maybe those who don’t select Advanced would end up having zero chance of getting small rollout updates? Who knows. But it’s not a magical switch that pushes the very latest update out to you

11. DeepBlue3

DeepBlue3 Member

I figured it would at least get you on the same year and week, not necessarily the same revision tho. /fail

• Like x 1
  12. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

it's a feel good setting. it doesn't do anything ;)

• Like x 6
  13. DeepBlue3

DeepBlue3 Member

Engineers don't do anything based on feelings.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  14. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

You’re on 19.15.11 which is a software fork they selected you to test for them. It has the V3 Supercharger profile. You are where they want you until rollout of 2019.20.

15. DeepBlue3

DeepBlue3 Member

Very interesting. If you can go into more detail about the fork or layout a road map, I'd like to hear. Naturally I'd assume I'm on a less advanced version than 19.16.x, but it would seem this is not the case.

16. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Sort of like the "close door" button in the elevator...

• Funny x 6
    • Love x 1
  17. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

I don't have much more insight. That's just how I put the puzzle pieces together. 19.15.11 has the same release notes as 19.16.x but clearly has a different charging profile. However, 19.16.x has 5 different fielded versions so it's obviously evolving. Since you're on 15.11, I would not expect to get on the 19.16.x fork but update to 19.20. That's the one which supposedly will have the widely-released V3 charging profile. I think it was 19.16.3 that started merging the HW3 cars from 19.7.10x. Prior to that there were three forks, now I think there are just two public (non-EAP) forks and a bunch of stragglers; like me, my car is still on 19.12.1.2.

18. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

Bottom line: The software team has been progressing very rapidly, especially lately, and it looks chaotic from the outside. However, I do believe there is a lot of "method to the madness".

19. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

20. DeepBlue3

DeepBlue3 Member

I agree, because I tend to "get left behind" unless I ask Service to push an update and then when I DO get updated, its some off flavor version that is still behind what the masses have.

• Like x 1