Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Software Update preference > ADVANCED do anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"You now have the option to receive new software updates as soon as they are available for your car configuration and region. Tap Controls > Software > Software Update preference > ADVANCED."

I've set my car to Advanced in software update preferences and i'm connected to WiFi 23 hours a day. I've been seeing people get 2019.16.3.2 for the past 5 days, and a fare number in California like me for the past 3 days. Do I need to do anything to make the car check for the update?

My HomeLink has been messed up since getting 2019.16.2 and would really like the next update.

I'm in the same situation as you. Got 2019.16.2, immediately turned on "ADVANCED" and now nothing. Some people have told me it doesn't apply to decimal upgrades, which would be disappointing if so. If I'm getting the latest software, it would be nice to get the latest bug fixes as well.

Also the "for your car configuration and region" is still awfully specific. They could send out the new update only to LR Model 3 RWD without AP in Idaho first, before rolling them out elsewhere, for all we know.

• Informative
Reactions: ybbor
Given all this feedback, I wonder if that toggle switch is little more than an extra flag that gets sent to Tesla's update servers. In the future they may choose to prioritize updates based on it, but maybe not yet.
I suspect it helps with those 1000 car a day rollouts on a TeslaFi, getting you into that first 20% of the fleet for a large rollout.

For more minor and small rollout updates I highly doubt Tesla would increase the number of cars they’re willing to put on that update. Maybe those who don’t select Advanced would end up having zero chance of getting small rollout updates? Who knows. But it’s not a magical switch that pushes the very latest update out to you

You’re on 19.15.11 which is a software fork they selected you to test for them. It has the V3 Supercharger profile. You are where they want you until rollout of 2019.20.

Very interesting. If you can go into more detail about the fork or layout a road map, I'd like to hear. Naturally I'd assume I'm on a less advanced version than 19.16.x, but it would seem this is not the case.

Very interesting. If you can go into more detail about the fork or layout a road map, I'd like to hear. Naturally I'd assume I'm on a less advanced version than 19.16.x, but it would seem this is not the case.
I don't have much more insight. That's just how I put the puzzle pieces together. 19.15.11 has the same release notes as 19.16.x but clearly has a different charging profile. However, 19.16.x has 5 different fielded versions so it's obviously evolving. Since you're on 15.11, I would not expect to get on the 19.16.x fork but update to 19.20. That's the one which supposedly will have the widely-released V3 charging profile. I think it was 19.16.3 that started merging the HW3 cars from 19.7.10x. Prior to that there were three forks, now I think there are just two public (non-EAP) forks and a bunch of stragglers; like me, my car is still on 19.12.1.2.