Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Software Update preference > ADVANCED do anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 2019.16.3.2 on 6/3 and immediately turned on the "advanced button". On 6/7 I received notice to upgrade to 2019.20.1. Coincidence? Maybe.
Probably.

We updated three of our cars to 2019.16.2 over 20 days ago. We immediately set the Software option to Advanced but none of those cars have received any updates in three weeks. Our only car to receive an update in the past three weeks was our fourth car which got 2019.16.3. It hasn't received any updates in over two weeks.

If you're on 2019.16.2 I doubt you will ever get 2019.16.3 since they are variants of the same -.16 update; granted if there were any safety issues addressed in 16.3 they would push it out asap.

You'll likely have to wait until the next round.
Over 20% of cars got 2019.20.1 in the last few days...and still no "Advanced" update for any of our four cars.

Reactions: GuyDude
Over 20% of cars got 2019.20.1 in the last few days...and still no "Advanced" update for any of our four cars.
In the interest of science, you need to set one of your cars to "Standard" to see if it still gets the update at the same time as the ones set to "Advanced". Preferably one that's an identical make/model to one of your others. :)

In the interest of science, you need to set one of your cars to "Standard" to see if it still gets the update at the same time as the ones set to "Advanced". Preferably one that's an identical make/model to one of your others. :)
Good idea. I'll try that with an S! I'll also check with my mom on her 3 (that used to be ours) and see what she has her update preference set to.

Reactions: Alketi
The advanced button is a conspiracy and doubt it actually helps any. Seems like you may or may not get your update (based on your VIN) earlier than others. But it's always been based on VIN batches.

Cars will get updates periodically. And there will never be a time that all cars are on the same version.

Not worrying about it is the only thing that has worked for me. - makes it more exciting when an update is actually pushed to my car.

I wouldn't feel bad yet. If the full TeslaFi data (see attached) is any true indication of the broader fleet, the 20.1 update is currently only going to California...and Europe. As far as I know, those are the only two areas currently capable of taking advantage of either V3 supercharging or the faster 200 kW charging at third-party chargers. I don't believe the update does much else of note for the rest of us, so that could explain the lack of a push to other regions.

Attachments

• softwareMain.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 58
Just received an email from Tesla stating since I purchased FSD before March 2019 I’ll be “amongst the first to receive the latest software updates...” All I have to do is select “advanced” in the software update preferences. But, the advanced button is available to everyone as of 2019.16 so I don’t get it?

Just received an email from Tesla stating since I purchased FSD before March 2019 I’ll be “amongst the first to receive the latest software updates...” All I have to do is select “advanced” in the software update preferences. But, the advanced button is available to everyone as of 2019.16 so I don’t get it?

We are supposed to believe they’re going to do some hand waving on the back end to get the updates before the peons who weren’t gullible enough to pay for FSD early.

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
I figured it meant next semi-stable software release. So, little point releases aren't going to be updated, unless it's a bug fix. From 2019.16.2, I figure when Tesla decides the 2019.20.x reaches a stable build, it'll go out to those who want to be auto-updated.

Sigh. No love for Tessie.

8F01E729-989D-4728-B850-AA9C20A5C023.jpeg