TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does Software Update preference > ADVANCED do anything?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ybbor, Jun 4, 2019.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

This 'option' brought to you by the Marketing Department :)

• Funny x 1
  2. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I got 2019.16.3.2 on 6/3 and immediately turned on the "advanced button". On 6/7 I received notice to upgrade to 2019.20.1. Coincidence? Maybe.

3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.4.2

Probably.

We updated three of our cars to 2019.16.2 over 20 days ago. We immediately set the Software option to Advanced but none of those cars have received any updates in three weeks. Our only car to receive an update in the past three weeks was our fourth car which got 2019.16.3. It hasn't received any updates in over two weeks.

4. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

If you're on 2019.16.2 I doubt you will ever get 2019.16.3 since they are variants of the same -.16 update; granted if there were any safety issues addressed in 16.3 they would push it out asap.

You'll likely have to wait until the next round.

5. EVDRVN

EVDRVN Member

I moved up to 19.20.1 so I assume my SC speeds will now be up from 19.12X.

• Like x 1
  6. MorrisonHiker

Over 20% of cars got 2019.20.1 in the last few days...and still no "Advanced" update for any of our four cars.

• Like x 1
  7. Alketi

Alketi Member

In the interest of science, you need to set one of your cars to "Standard" to see if it still gets the update at the same time as the ones set to "Advanced". Preferably one that's an identical make/model to one of your others. :)

• Like x 4
  8. MorrisonHiker

Good idea. I'll try that with an S! I'll also check with my mom on her 3 (that used to be ours) and see what she has her update preference set to.

• Like x 1
  9. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

We have two Model 3’s. One was set to advanced, one was not. They both received 20.1 yesterday. The funny thing is my M3 is usually the last one to get updated but it was the one that was set to advanced, so it made the upgrade timing on par with the other one.

But it’s too early to say if it was anything more than a coincidence.

• Informative x 3
  10. Sky-Pilot

Sky-Pilot Member

Yup, mine is still at 2019.12.1.2....

• Like x 1
  11. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

The advanced button is a conspiracy and doubt it actually helps any. Seems like you may or may not get your update (based on your VIN) earlier than others. But it's always been based on VIN batches.

Cars will get updates periodically. And there will never be a time that all cars are on the same version.

Not worrying about it is the only thing that has worked for me. - makes it more exciting when an update is actually pushed to my car.

12. ConcordeSST

ConcordeSST Supporting Member

I wouldn't feel bad yet. If the full TeslaFi data (see attached) is any true indication of the broader fleet, the 20.1 update is currently only going to California...and Europe. As far as I know, those are the only two areas currently capable of taking advantage of either V3 supercharging or the faster 200 kW charging at third-party chargers. I don't believe the update does much else of note for the rest of us, so that could explain the lack of a push to other regions.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. Lostb0y

Lostb0y Member

I haven’t gotten any updates since the option to enable advanced. I don’t think I’m missing anything and really don’t care I guess. I was so excited for the new visual animations for absolutely no reason haha

14. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

Just received an email from Tesla stating since I purchased FSD before March 2019 I’ll be “amongst the first to receive the latest software updates...” All I have to do is select “advanced” in the software update preferences. But, the advanced button is available to everyone as of 2019.16 so I don’t get it?

15. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

We are supposed to believe they’re going to do some hand waving on the back end to get the updates before the peons who weren’t gullible enough to pay for FSD early.

• Funny x 1
  16. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

I'm sure that's done by the same people who "sorted" the "special" P motors that got the same part numbers as the non-P ones.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. KenC

KenC Member

I figured it meant next semi-stable software release. So, little point releases aren't going to be updated, unless it's a bug fix. From 2019.16.2, I figure when Tesla decides the 2019.20.x reaches a stable build, it'll go out to those who want to be auto-updated.

18. ConcordeSST

ConcordeSST Supporting Member

Curious to hear what others report now. I just got 20.1 the instant TeslaFi started showing installs beyond California and Europe. I have Advanced selected and was a 2018 purchaser of FSD. I'm never in the initial blast of an update, so I think this setting may actually do something.

19. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

Just got 20.1 also.

20. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

Sigh. No love for Tessie.

8F01E729-989D-4728-B850-AA9C20A5C023.jpeg