Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does solar make sense in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Hi,

We recently purchased a home in Texas (Round Rock area) and are wondering if solar makes sense since the energy costs are pretty low.

FWIW, this home will for the immediate future be a rental. But, we may have family members living there long term.

Thanks!

IMO, somebody here said Texas had "free nights" or something wacky. The concept of installing a ESS that could grid charge when it was free to discharge later in the day sounded more awesome than actually going green with solar hah.

I guess if Biden would help pass a ESS credit that separate from a solar credit, it'd be much more attractive.

Hi,

We recently purchased a home in Texas (Round Rock area) and are wondering if solar makes sense since the energy costs are pretty low.

FWIW, this home will for the immediate future be a rental. But, we may have family members living there long term.

Thanks!
Just think of the recent grid shut down throughout the state with no outside of state connection, their own electric island.

You could have had power as soon as sun came out and if had Powerwall, may not have gone down.

And, when power came up slowly, price was $9/kWh.

Do not recommend it if you are only looking from a ROI perspective.

Definitely recommend it if you want help offset grid usage, gain some level of independence from the grid and utility company, support Tesla as a company and the advancement of solar/battery storage in general, and score internet points. Treat it as a splurge/luxury purchase (much like Tesla vehicles) and enjoy life. Very few things have true ROI. Buy what you want.

Thanks all. We are bit distracted now since we found out today the house needs a new roof because of a recent hail storm? Never heard of hail doing damage like that to a roof. Is it common in Texas?

It's not a deal killer, but the buyer has to work through it with their insurance. I gather that a lot of homes had similar damage so it may take a while.

Thanks all. We are bit distracted now since we found out today the house needs a new roof because of a recent hail storm? Never heard of hail doing damage like that to a roof. Is it common in Texas?

It's not a deal killer, but the buyer has to work through it with their insurance. I gather that a lot of homes had similar damage so it may take a while.
Yep that’s why I put in my order today. Insurance is replacing my 15yr old roof. Solar should be coming in 8 weeks given the online eta

Reactions: byeLT4 and jboy210
Solar/PW installed last week and while waiting for PTO, I've been turning on the solar for a few hours during the day to charge the PW. Here is my usage/cost from my energy provider on a free night plan:
2021-04-23 08-29-47-1.png

And a couple daily breakdowns:
2021-04-21 15-54-05-1.png
2021-04-23 08-30-28-1.png

Sounds like a job for solar roof tiles

Yep that’s why I put in my order today. Insurance is replacing my 15yr old roof. Solar should be coming in 8 weeks given the online eta
Thanks. Sounds like RR got hit pretty hard by the hail storm. The roof on the house we bought is circa 2004, so less to worry about once insurance pays to have a new one put on. Being from NorCal, I am used to hail never being bigger than BBs.

Last edited:
And so many say California is terrible. :) Now, when the big one hits, glad I am in the foothills on rock
The Sierra Rocks fracture and roll massive boulders down the hills as the recent closures on HWY 50 show. Also, all those hot springs in the Sierras a potential thermal vents in an eruption. No matter you go there is something. Be that earthquake, floods, fires, hurricanes, eruptions, etc.