Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does solar make sense in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where in TX are you, and what was your price for electricity prior to solar? 15 month ROI is impressive
DFW area.

We pay MP2 Energy about 07.5/kWh, IIRC.

Break down in cost/payback is as follows:

System cost: $8k
Electric bill, annual: ~$2k
Previous gasoline cost, annual, per car: ~$2k
So with two former ICE cars gone, replaced with two MS's, that's $4k in annual savings in the garage alone.
Add in the house electric bill of $2k, that's $6k in annual savings.

Thus, the very, very quick payback.

From that 15 months point forward, it's been $6k in savings every single year--an absolute no-brainer.

Had our system cost TWICE as much, $16k, the payback would still have been under three years, still a no-brainer.

Side bonus: leaving a usable planet for others to enjoy since we won't live forever . . . .

DFW area.

We pay MP2 Energy about 07.5/kWh, IIRC.

Break down in cost/payback is as follows:

System cost: $8k
Electric bill, annual: ~$2k
Previous gasoline cost, annual, per car: ~$2k
So with two former ICE cars gone, replaced with two MS's, that's $4k in annual savings in the garage alone.
Add in the house electric bill of $2k, that's $6k in annual savings.

Thus, the very, very quick payback.

From that 15 months point forward, it's been $6k in savings every single year--an absolute no-brainer.

Had our system cost TWICE as much, $16k, the payback would still have been under three years, still a no-brainer.

Side bonus: leaving a usable planet for others to enjoy since we won't live forever . . . .
$2,000 in annual electric costs at $0.075/kWh would be 26,600 kWh. You would need a 16 kW PV array to get that amount of an annual production, plus more to cover the two EVs.

How did you get that large of an array for $8,000?

$2,000 in annual electric costs at $0.075/kWh would be 26,600 kWh. You would need a 16 kW PV array to get that amount of an annual production, plus more to cover the two EVs.

How did you get that large of an array for $8,000?
The solar array is about 7.5 kW; it faces nearly perfectly south.

The $8k cost was back in 2013 for a one-payment, 20-year, lease, with a 20-year warranty (from the former SolarCity. now Tesla Energy). This was pre-Powerwall, of course. As it turned out, the up front pricing was an absolute steal, but as I wrote above, even if it had been twice as expensive, it would still have been a "no-brainer" choice to get those panels on our roof.

A huge part of this savings is from our power company, MP2 Energy, as they use 100% renewable energy, and give us 100 cents on the dollar for our excess power during the day--the grid is our battery:

The only catch was/is that we noticed that we produced so much more than we would get back over any given year, and that the excess kWh would all go into a "bank." Every twelve months MP2 Energy takes that excess and zeros it out--with no credit or payment to us. That's been pissing me off which lead to some additional changes.

Late last year we replaced two eleven-year old HVAC units with pure electric, 20-SEER, heat pumps and are currently in the process of foaming the back of our roof deck and sealing our attic so as to make the attic semi-conditioned space. (Texas and Arizona home builders can be remarkably stupid: so many houses insanely "make ice cream in the oven" by placing air handlers and ducting in the 160F+ attic, leaving homeowners wondering why the AC takes so long to cool the house . . . .) Likewise, we also replaced our two gas water heaters with electric units and had the gas meter removed from the house to abide with The First Rule of Holes--when you're in one, stop digging. We are in a massive GHG-dumping hole. It's hard to say you're "Making a difference" and still be writing a check to a fossil fuel company every single month, so we've stopped doing that . . . .

Not sure how this will all play out a year from now as some of these steps increased our electrical load, but hopefully less than the annual excess we were "gifting" to MP2 Energy. But knowing then what we know now, we would have installed a larger solar array--bigger is better, and the marginal cost would have been insignificant.

Cognitive dissonance time; this may make some uncomfortable: In the end, it's about getting smarter about the planetary-scale threat we have created, and making better choices. If you're still buying gasoline, or paying for "natural" gas, you are part of the problem. We prefer to be a part of the solution, and we hope that all reading this will as well.

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”​

― Anna Lappe

Reactions: BGbreeder

The $8k cost was back in 2013 for a one-payment, 20-year, lease, with a 20-year warranty (from the former SolarCity. now Tesla Energy). This was pre-Powerwall, of course. As it turned out, the up front pricing was an absolute steal, but as I wrote above, even if it had been twice as expensive, it would still have been a "no-brainer" choice to get those panels on our roof.

A huge part of this savings is from our power company, MP2 Energy, as they use 100% renewable energy, and give us 100 cents on the dollar for our excess power during the day--the grid is our battery:

The only catch was/is that we noticed that we produced so much more than we would get back over any given year, and that the excess kWh would all go into a "bank." Every twelve months MP2 Energy takes that excess and zeros it out--with no credit or payment to us. That's been pissing me off which lead to some additional changes.

Late last year we replaced two eleven-year old HVAC units with pure electric, 20-SEER, heat pumps and are currently in the process of foaming the back of our roof deck and sealing our attic so as to make the attic semi-conditioned space. (Texas and Arizona home builders can be remarkably stupid: so many houses insanely "make ice cream in the oven" by placing air handlers and ducting in the 160F+ attic, leaving homeowners wondering why the AC takes so long to cool the house . . . .) Likewise, we also replaced our two gas water heaters with electric units and had the gas meter removed from the house to abide with The First Rule of Holes--when you're in one, stop digging. We are in a massive GHG-dumping hole. It's hard to say you're "Making a difference" and still be writing a check to a fossil fuel company every single month, so we've stopped doing that . . . .

Not sure how this will all play out a year from now as some of these steps increased our electrical load, but hopefully less than the annual excess we were "gifting" to MP2 Energy. But knowing then what we know now, we would have installed a larger solar array--bigger is better, and the marginal cost would have been insignificant.

Cognitive dissonance time; this may make some uncomfortable: In the end, it's about getting smarter about the planetary-scale threat we have created, and making better choices. If you're still buying gasoline, or paying for "natural" gas, you are part of the problem. We prefer to be a part of the solution, and we hope that all reading this will as well.

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”​

― Anna Lappe
Probably a silly question, but have you had any damage from hailstorms to your panels.

― Anna Lappe

According to PVwatts, a 7.5kW array in Austin, TX should generate ~12,500 kWh annually. If you were spending $2,000 annually, $167 monthly, with a rate of 7.5 cents/kWh that would mean your draw was ~26,600 kWh and your PV array is providing only 47% of your need, but you are saying that it is producing far more than you are consuming, so something is off here.

You mentioned that this is a leased SolarCity array and you paid $8,000 up front which is unusual as leased systems are usually free to install and then you pay the a monthly fee for the 15-20 years that the lease runs. You mention that this was a 20 year lease, so that would mean that the monthly cost was $33.33 without an annual escalator increase of 2-3%.

The deal that you have described is a unicorn. I have no idea why SolarCity would essentially pay you to install the system and agree to maintain it for 20 years for just $8,000. They would have had additional tax credits at the time of 30% (?) in 2013 and maybe they could be selling SRECs on the system, but that system should have been around $5/W or $37,500 in 2013. Maybe SolarCity couldn't do math right and that contributed to their near bankruptcy or maybe they were trying to cook the books to show growth at any cost or maybe some of the numbers are fuzzy over the last 8 years.

BTW, I think that most people installing solar are on board the green train, but even more are doing it to save on escalating energy costs.

Reactions: garrett5688
TSLA Pilot's experience appears to be an outlier - and probably not anyone can replicate with today's prices - or be able to hit breakeven in less than 2 years.

A more reasonable goal would be break even in 4-5 years without PowerWalls and 8-10 years with PowerWalls (factoring in the benefits of having backup power, and the cost savings of not installing a gas generator) - and achieving those numbers may require optimizing power usage and the type of electricity plan, and assume inflation of annual electricity costs.

Also, even if solar panels hadn't been installed, shifting from ICE to EV will save annual fuel costs (electricity is less expensive than gas) - and if the owner shifts to a free nights plan (even without solar panels), there should be significant cost savings (and convenience) by using an EV.

To estimate break even on the solar panels, the comparison should be the costs with or without the solar panels (assuming the EVs were being charged from the grid) - and probably can't use 100% of the savings on gas as part of the break even estimates for the solar panels.

Does solar make sense in Texas?​

Duh, does the sun shine in Texas? It's free energy. All you gotta do is collect it. I've had solar ten years, power company pays me every year. With batteries, your solar powers your home at night, too. Sure, it's an investment, but eventually you're scott free, solar paid for by sun's power.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Does solar make sense in Texas?​

Duh, does the sun shine in Texas? It's free energy. All you gotta do is collect it. I've had solar ten years, power company pays me every year. With batteries, your solar powers your home at night, too. Sure, it's an investment, but eventually you're scott free, solar paid for by sun's power.
As the owner of a home with a SolarRoof and Powerwalls, I understand the benefit of solar. But as I said this is a rental property. The renters will be paying utilities, so I get no immediate benefit except the possibility of increasing rent due to having solar. But in Texas, their electricity is very cheap plus they have things like free nights and weekends, thus the conundrum.

TSLA Pilot's experience appears to be an outlier - and probably not anyone can replicate with today's prices - or be able to hit breakeven in less than 2 years.

A more reasonable goal would be break even in 4-5 years without PowerWalls and 8-10 years with PowerWalls (factoring in the benefits of having backup power, and the cost savings of not installing a gas generator) - and achieving those numbers may require optimizing power usage and the type of electricity plan, and assume inflation of annual electricity costs.

Also, even if solar panels hadn't been installed, shifting from ICE to EV will save annual fuel costs (electricity is less expensive than gas) - and if the owner shifts to a free nights plan (even without solar panels), there should be significant cost savings (and convenience) by using an EV.

To estimate break even on the solar panels, the comparison should be the costs with or without the solar panels (assuming the EVs were being charged from the grid) - and probably can't use 100% of the savings on gas as part of the break even estimates for the solar panels.
An EV is not free. Seems one has to put the cost of the car in the ROI.

I have a 1990 with 120K miles. If I replace my ICE to EV, thats negative LOTS of money to start with, and then the electricity cost.

Probably a silly question, but have you had any damage from hailstorms to your panels.
Never, despite many hail storms.

That said, they've been repaired/replaced twice, all under warranty, due to rodent damage or some kind of manufacturing defect.

Thus, the importance of the 20-year warranty from a company that will be around, especially as the two inverters supposedly have a 12-year lifespan, and they're expensive to replace.

According to PVwatts, a 7.5kW array in Austin, TX should generate ~12,500 kWh annually. If you were spending $2,000 annually, $167 monthly, with a rate of 7.5 cents/kWh that would mean your draw was ~26,600 kWh and your PV array is providing only 47% of your need, but you are saying that it is producing far more than you are consuming, so something is off here.

You mentioned that this is a leased SolarCity array and you paid $8,000 up front which is unusual as leased systems are usually free to install and then you pay the a monthly fee for the 15-20 years that the lease runs. You mention that this was a 20 year lease, so that would mean that the monthly cost was $33.33 without an annual escalator increase of 2-3%.

The deal that you have described is a unicorn. I have no idea why SolarCity would essentially pay you to install the system and agree to maintain it for 20 years for just $8,000. They would have had additional tax credits at the time of 30% (?) in 2013 and maybe they could be selling SRECs on the system, but that system should have been around $5/W or $37,500 in 2013. Maybe SolarCity couldn't do math right and that contributed to their near bankruptcy or maybe they were trying to cook the books to show growth at any cost or maybe some of the numbers are fuzzy over the last 8 years.

BTW, I think that most people installing solar are on board the green train, but even more are doing it to save on escalating energy costs.
As a leased system, SolarCity kept all tax credits. Yes, one-payment leases are uncommon, but they are an excellent way to reduce total system cost. Part of the lease payment is the cost to finance the system over the term of the lease. If the lease is paid in full, all upfront, that finance cost becomes ZERO.

At the end of the day, even if it had cost TWICE as much, it's still a no-brainer choice.

An EV is not free. Seems one has to put the cost of the car in the ROI.

I have a 1990 with 120K miles. If I replace my ICE to EV, thats negative LOTS of money to start with, and then the electricity cost.
Well then.

In that case, have you considered selling the '90 ICE and just riding a bicycle? Then you'll be selling your current home and moving into a yurt? While perhaps optimal, it's a very tough sell for many others.

The far more prolific case is that vast majority people replace their vehicles on a regular basis--otherwise we'd all be, what, driving 1957 Oldsmobiles and Plymouths? As such, the replacement of ICE vehicles with EV's should become the default move, the sooner the better, as we are in seriously borrowed time.

The ICE to EV conversion goes hand-in-hand with solar panels, both financially and logically. In our case it was a perfect way to demonstrate how making this move is actually a money saver, with the side benefit of leaving a more useable planet for others.

Well then.

In that case, have you considered selling the '90 ICE and just riding a bicycle? Then you'll be selling your current home and moving into a yurt? While perhaps optimal, it's a very tough sell for many others.

The far more prolific case is that vast majority people replace their vehicles on a regular basis--otherwise we'd all be, what, driving 1957 Oldsmobiles and Plymouths? As such, the replacement of ICE vehicles with EV's should become the default move, the sooner the better, as we are in seriously borrowed time.

The ICE to EV conversion goes hand-in-hand with solar panels, both financially and logically. In our case it was a perfect way to demonstrate how making this move is actually a money saver, with the side benefit of leaving a more useable planet for others.
I guess this is why 1 our of 5 folks who buy EV's return them/get rid of them.

For folks who love their EV's, great. I love my ICE.

A big challenge for some EV owners is finding convenient charging.

Those people who don't have access to overnight charging, they have to hunt for superchargers or public chargers - and the time required for the EVs to charge is much longer than it takes to refuel an ICE.

I suspect that many of those who replace their EV with an ICE are doing so because of the additional time and hassle of "refueling" - a situation which should continue to improve as more places provide support for EV charging.

Plus, EVs are still more expensive up front than ICEs (even though the lifetime cost of EVs, due to lower fuel and maintenance costs, may be comparable or even better).

So, I'm not surprised 20% of EV owners are shifting back to ICEs - at least for now.

A big challenge for some EV owners is finding convenient charging.

Those people who don't have access to overnight charging, they have to hunt for superchargers or public chargers - and the time required for the EVs to charge is much longer than it takes to refuel an ICE.

I suspect that many of those who replace their EV with an ICE are doing so because of the additional time and hassle of "refueling" - a situation which should continue to improve as more places provide support for EV charging.

Plus, EVs are still more expensive up front than ICEs (even though the lifetime cost of EVs, due to lower fuel and maintenance costs, may be comparable or even better).

So, I'm not surprised 20% of EV owners are shifting back to ICEs - at least for now.
I did hear some guys posting a video of them rolling past the gas lines in NC in their EV. They were at the station to buy some beer.

Reactions: Electrph
I remember folks who could not drive anywhere when we had our multi day power outages. There EV's looked great in the garages as folks with ICE cars went to eat.
I don't have any issues charging my EV at home for the same reason you don't have an issue keeping your lights on when the grid goes down. We both have solar and battery storage.

Plus with Tesla's vast Supercharging network, when the power went out in our city there was charging available a few cities (< 15 miles) away and not need to draw down my batteries.