Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does solar roof cause massive data interference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a ton of low voltage wiring throughout my house and much of it is still un-traced and unlabeled. I have always been able to use toners to trace wires as I needed to use them. But this week I tried to trace some wires and it was impossible. Even when I put the probe a few inches down from the toner, all I hear is massive static. Not even a trace of the toner beeps.

All I can think of is that my new solar roof and/or Power Walls are causing massive amounts of interference which makes wire tracing impossible. Is that the case? If it is I'm in big trouble. Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with this?

And if my roof is to blame for this, will it cause interference with the data on the wires? I haven't noticed a problem with that yet but that doesn't mean it's not present.

I have a ton of low voltage wiring throughout my house and much of it is still un-traced and unlabeled. I have always been able to use toners to trace wires as I needed to use them. But this week I tried to trace some wires and it was impossible. Even when I put the probe a few inches down from the toner, all I hear is massive static. Not even a trace of the toner beeps.

All I can think of is that my new solar roof and/or Power Walls are causing massive amounts of interference which makes wire tracing impossible. Is that the case? If it is I'm in big trouble. Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with this?

And if my roof is to blame for this, will it cause interference with the data on the wires? I haven't noticed a problem with that yet but that doesn't mean it's not present.
Try tracing your wires at night where there is no solar production to rule out any interference from that. I wouldn't expect any since the solar is DC and probably runs in just one or two conduits to your inverters.

Reactions: jhn_
Have you tested your toner equipment out in your yard away from everything to see if it still works? You could also shut your solar system down at night to test to be sure. (But since you already tried at night with no production I doubt that it is causing interference.)