Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Solar Roof Include a Free Service Panel Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My assumption is they don't...However, this video mentions that Tesla included a free service panel upgrade when installing. At first, I thought it was an early install so they gave him a complimentary panel upgrade for being an early adopter, but it looks like it was uploaded last week, implying a 2020 install.

If they do include it for free...that's amazing. Anyone have any experience with this?

Video (Free panel upgrade mentioned just after 6:15):

I am not aware of any free panel upgrades. I was not given a free one and was going to be charged $3500 by Tesla to upgrade my panel, so i went and bought the panel and breakers from home depot and had an electrician install it for $1000. Thats something you are going to need to call and ask about, but ultimately if you need a panel upgrade its much cheaper to find someone else to do it than have Tesla do it.

My breaker panel is full, there are no open breaker slots. What would I need, 2 open slots to let the solar / powerwall power into the system? If that's the case I can have my electrician put a larger panel in first.

The answer really is “It depends”. If you’re only getting one powerwall then you probably won’t be able to back up your whole house, in which case you’ll be getting a “critical loads” panel and they will move the subset of circuits that you want backed up to that panel.

If you are getting multiple powerwalls and want the whole house backed up, then they may need some additional space in the main panel, or they may add a “generation panel” for the breakers for the solar and powerwalls and then connect that to your existing main panel through the gateway.

Additionally, in the case of a whole house backup the main panel will need to be moved so that it’s behind the gateway, so that way it can still have power when your utility power is out. If your existing main panel is one that also has the meter integrated with it, then they will likely still need to move all of the circuits out of that panel into a new main panel so that they can put the gateway between the meter and the main panel.

No matter which small changes they need to do, in one way or another you are going to pay for everything. There is no fixed price for a SolarRoof install. Each is custom with different number of active versus in-active tiles,amounts of flashing required, etc. So the price varies based on the configuration and with appropriate allowance for unforeseen items. They may upgrade a panel once started if they decided it is needed, but that is just a tiny nibble out of their overall profit. They are not going to lose money on the job.

The answer really is “It depends”. If you’re only getting one powerwall then you probably won’t be able to back up your whole house, in which case you’ll be getting a “critical loads” panel and they will move the subset of circuits that you want backed up to that panel.

If you are getting multiple powerwalls and want the whole house backed up, then they may need some additional space in the main panel, or they may add a “generation panel” for the breakers for the solar and powerwalls and then connect that to your existing main panel through the gateway.

Additionally, in the case of a whole house backup the main panel will need to be moved so that it’s behind the gateway, so that way it can still have power when your utility power is out. If your existing main panel is one that also has the meter integrated with it, then they will likely still need to move all of the circuits out of that panel into a new main panel so that they can put the gateway between the meter and the main panel.

Adding additional panels is the approach they took with us, and I was a bit concerned because our main panel was full, and it is a split-bus panel, which is not something you can install these days (or for like 4 decades, from what I've read.) So now, we have new boxes and disconnects everywhere - a service disconnect breaker on the TEG to kill only grid power, a firemen's disconnect outside to kill solar+PWs, a generation panel with breakers for the solar and each PW, and a new main breaker that kills everything (wired between the TEG and our existing main panel.) Fortunately it is in the basement, but one thing that I would love for the future is one integrated box that has the TEG, main panel and all the disconnects (except the required external disconnect) in it just to make things look cleaner.

As others have said, none of it is free, but they did review our electrical ahead of time (as I recall, though they did not send anybody out to check out our roof, they did send an electrician to review that portion) and everything was accounted for in the contract. That is really all I would expect - that Tesla is upfront about what electrical work is required and how much it will cost. They presumably know better than most of us (certainly me) what is needed to add the solar/PW and what is required to meet code.

Adding additional panels is the approach they took with us, and I was a bit concerned because our main panel was full, and it is a split-bus panel, which is not something you can install these days (or for like 4 decades, from what I've read.) So now, we have new boxes and disconnects everywhere - a service disconnect breaker on the TEG to kill only grid power, a firemen's disconnect outside to kill solar+PWs, a generation panel with breakers for the solar and each PW, and a new main breaker that kills everything (wired between the TEG and our existing main panel.) Fortunately it is in the basement, but one thing that I would love for the future is one integrated box that has the TEG, main panel and all the disconnects (except the required external disconnect) in it just to make things look cleaner.

As others have said, none of it is free, but they did review our electrical ahead of time (as I recall, though they did not send anybody out to check out our roof, they did send an electrician to review that portion) and everything was accounted for in the contract. That is really all I would expect - that Tesla is upfront about what electrical work is required and how much it will cost. They presumably know better than most of us (certainly me) what is needed to add the solar/PW and what is required to meet code.
Thanks for the feedback. I too have a full main panel and thus far Tesla hasn't brought it up as an issue. I'm just hoping whatever they need to do is wrapped into the final price.

My assumption is they don't...However, this video mentions that Tesla included a free service panel upgrade when installing. At first, I thought it was an early install so they gave him a complimentary panel upgrade for being an early adopter, but it looks like it was uploaded last week, implying a 2020 install.

If they do include it for free...that's amazing. Anyone have any experience with this?

Video (Free panel upgrade mentioned just after 6:15):

Tesla is trying to charge me $9550 for a panel upgrade.