Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Standard Autopilot Swerve to Avoid Collision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if standard AP can actually swerve out of the way to avoid collisions? Or is this only an Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) feature? I'm aware that it won't change lanes, so I'm worried that it'll only brake to avoid collisions.

It was this video that had me curious about the answer:
Raghu Konka on Twitter

Thanks in advance!

Neither of them do this. All these videos of people saying their car made a split second move by swerving out of its lane to avoid another car is wishful thinking. I think some of them might actually think that it was autopilot, but it’s just them having a natural reaction of turning the wheel themselves and disengaging autopilot.

This would not be safe if autopilot was allowed to make these kind of technical high speed steering maneuvers in the state that AP development is currently in.

Anytime I’ve had some one jump into my lane in front of me all AP has done is slam on the breaks.

Side collision warning is standard on all cars AP or not. It will beep and nudge your steering wheel away from the threat slightly even when your driving manually, but its very slight and mainly to get your attention. I sometimes get this when driving through tight automated toll booths.

While on AP it will do the same, but will never leave its lane.

These are for threats coming into your lane from the side though. In the above video the threat vehicle was more in front than to the side. So if AP was on during that video all AP would have done, if left alone, would be to try and stop.

Neither of them do this. All these videos of people saying their car made a split second move by swerving out of its lane to avoid another car is wishful thinking. I think some of them might actually think that it was autopilot, but it’s just them having a natural reaction of turning the wheel themselves and disengaging autopilot.

This would not be safe if autopilot was allowed to make these kind of technical high speed steering maneuvers in the state that AP development is currently in.

Anytime I’ve had some one jump into my lane in front of me all AP has done is slam on the breaks.

Thats really interesting and definitely not what i expected. I always believed that EAP would swerve out of the lane and recognize its surroundings quickly to determine if it were safe to do so. These videos had me convinced. I suppose we’d need the camera angle from inside to verify.

Reactions: preilly44