Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does swapping to 20" wheels change mileage on the Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a fan of the MYP, but not a fan of 21s. Seems like I've read different things about this... but does switching to 20" wheel size change the mileage? Or why does the mileage lower on a MYP vs LR -- assuming you drove it the same, let's say on chill. I know several have swapped to 20s. Thank you

Apologize if this has been beaten up already, I think I'm search and youtube saturated. ugh!!!!!

A reduction in unsprung mass ie. wheel/tire weight even rotors, brakes, etc will increase acceleration and mileage and improve handling.

The big fat, sticky tires on the MYP aren't very efficient. Edmunds got about 10% less than the rated EPA range when driving it at a steady 75 mph. Which was one of the worst results for any Teslas, and considering in their testing, almost no Teslas meet their estimated range, which isn't too encouraging.

Less unsprung weight, lighter wheels, brakes, etc. will mostly help in stop and go. At a steady speed on the highway, the lighter wheels don't matter much and aerodynamics are more at work here. Fat tires lose on 2 accounts, more rolling resistance and more aerodynamic drag (unless you can enclose the tire more to less the aero drag).

Thank you for replies, So it sounds like yes? Or Maybe? Curious if anyone with MYP who has swapped to 20s could weigh in on results.

Tesla doesn't give a different range for the 20's vs the 21's, but in the past the 21's were optional on the MYP and the MYP with the Gemini wheels had 1 mile of range different from the MYLR with the Gemini wheels. We know that just removing the aero caps from the Gemini's will affect range, so I would think the 20" wheels would also affect range... but the inductions look like they should be more aerodynamic than the Gemini's without the aero caps, so who knows?

Keith

I wish they would offer that option for 20" wheels like the Inductions, I suspect most would chose that option but then they wouldn't be able to charge you as much for an MYP.
Nope. The MYP started out with normal LR hardware, just a better rear motor. They also offered the PUP (Performance Upgrade Pack) that included the lowered suspension, larger brakes, and 21" wheel and tire package as a NO COST upgrade. I just wished they offered the 19" Gemini's as a "no cost upgrade" for those of us wanting them. Instead I will purchase someone's used but almost new 19" Gemini's and sell my used but almost new 21" Uberturbine's. A big pain in the butt for something that should be offered from the factory.

Keith

I think there would a lot of demand for the 20's. The terrible Ubers were a big reason why I didn't go with the MYP. Knowing Tesla though, they would charge you extra to go with the 20" instead.

Yeah. If they still offered the stealth performance I probably would have gone with it. The 21" wheels and lowered suspension on the performance where the main reason I went with the LR. I hate how there are only 2 different tires available for the 21" wheels and they are both very expensive summer performance tires.

Reactions: Bossdaddy