Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does TAAC use regenerative braking when decelerating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TACC uses regen up to the maximum regen rate, then friction brakes. Extent depends on battery SOC.
Thanks. I never expect to need to charge beyond 90% so battery SOC shouldn't be an issue. The regen rate appears to be higher when using TAAC than when driving manually. In other words, when TAAC is braking, say from 80kph approaching stopped vehicles for example, the level of braking is higher than if I were to simply take my foot off the accelerator.

I've noticed that TAAC often brakes later than I would if driving manually. I've wondered whether that's a limitation of the automated driving system picking up the need to brake later than a human driver would or a strategy to maximise regen efficiency.

Reactions: Hairyman
I've noticed that TAAC often brakes later than I would if driving manually. I've wondered whether that's a limitation of the automated driving system picking up the need to brake later than a human driver would or a strategy to maximise regen efficiency.
Yes, I have wondered the same and have come to the opinion that it probably is for maximum efficiency, why stop an almost 2 tonne of inertia unless it is needed. It does cut it very fine sometimes.

why stop an almost 2 tonne of inertia unless it is needed.
yes I agree, but tesla don’t agree as they continue to gift cars with phantom braking…today I was going past a parked truck in tacc (not autopilot) so I was steering. I was around 1m clear of the parked truck but the car didnt agree so it slammed on the brakes. Horrible crunching grinding sound came with it. Fortunately no-one behind me.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazygrunt
yes I agree, but tesla don’t agree as they continue to gift cars with phantom braking…today I was going past a parked truck in tacc (not autopilot) so I was steering. I was around 1m clear of the parked truck but the car didnt agree so it slammed on the brakes. Horrible crunching grinding sound came with it. Fortunately no-one behind me.
Yes, it is very afraid of passing trucks at the moment. I wonder if it interpreting them as traffic queues. There was some discussion about trying to avoid having cars suddenly encountering stopped traffic obscured by a longer queue in one lane.

Nevertheless it is really a problem with the current driving model.

It has never liked passing anything in the same lane, so if there are parked vehicles in the left lane you can't cruise in the left lane past them. Same with cyclists in that lane.
Thats not entirely correct. There were plenty of cars parked to my left, it was only the truck it had an issue with. In suburban Adelaide most parking is to the left of an extra wide left lane. It isnt marked.
This is for tacc only not autopilot.