Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does TACC avoid undertaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread merged from "Undertaking on AP, what’s the deal?"

I’ve noticed AP doesn’t undertake unless you press the throttle and it will go ahead and do it. It does however sometimes decide to undertake at what appears to be random. Does anyone know the methodology?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine undertakes, doesn't give an f about the law. Never notice it refuse to undertake, it just goes for it.

My friend has a Golf R that refuses to undertake at all.
Same with my Audi S3 with active cruise. It’s the only sensible bit of the car, everything else about it seems to be the same level of Golf R borderline unhinged, but with quilted leather and dialled back just a tad on the ASBO scale.

from the EU manual

Passing Vehicles in Non-Passing Lanes If traveling 80 km/h or faster, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control requires that you be in a passing lane in order to pass a vehicle. If you are in a non-passing lane (to the right of a vehicle in right-hand traffic, or to the left of a vehicle in left-hand traffic), Traffic-Aware Cruise Control prevents you from passing other vehicles. Instead, Model 3 slows down to match the vehicle’s speed as if it were in the same lane as your vehicle. If you press the accelerator pedal to pass the vehicle, TrafficAware Cruise Control allows you to pass vehicles in the non-passing lane until you either change lanes or cancel and resume cruising (it then prevents you from passing vehicles in a non-passing lane again). Note: You are responsible for complying with all local laws regarding passing other road users and the utilization of non-passing lanes.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Imidogen and DJP31
As per the excerpt from the manual (always worth a read ;)) in post #7 the car will undertake at speeds up to 50 mph. This is to reflect the flows of heavy traffic where the speed will vary within the lane. A little tap of the go pedal will over ride and break the link with the car in the adjacent lane (which is highlighted as the car whose speed is being tracked).

Reactions: init6
Moderator comment - thread merged from "Does TACC avoid undertaking?"

On a rare lockdown motorway journey yesterday I noticed my M3 would not undertake cars travelling slower than me on the right hand lane. I am sure before Christmas it would happily undertake.
Is it just me or has the behaviour changed?, and if so how does it cope with those situations where the Highway code says undertaking is permissible such as slow moving traffic.

I am on 2020.48.26

Its dependent on what speed you are travelling. I can't remember what the speed is (probably 40 or 50mph), but its somewhere in the manual.

Yep it's 50mph. My car has always done it, received in June 2020.

Passing Vehicles in Non-Passing Lanes

If traveling 80 km/h or faster, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control requires that you be in a passing lane in order to pass a vehicle. If you are in a non-passing lane (to the right of a vehicle in right-hand traffic, or to the left of a vehicle in left-hand traffic), Traffic-Aware Cruise Control prevents you from passing other vehicles. Instead, Model 3 slows down to match the vehicle’s speed as if it were in the same lane as your vehicle.

If you press the accelerator pedal to pass the vehicle, Traffic Aware Cruise Control allows you to pass vehicles in the non-passing lane until you either change lanes or cancel and resume cruising (it then prevents you from passing vehicles in a non-passing lane again).

NOTE: You are responsible for complying with
all local laws regarding passing other road
users and the utilization of non-passing lanes.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Moderator comment - thread merged from "Autopilot — undertaking"

Sometimes the Model 3 will avoid undertaking while on Autopilot, slowing down to avoid doing so. Sometimes it will just cruise on past.

What are the rules here?