Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

does TACC use the brake pads or regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
random thought/question: does TACC use the brake pads to slow the car down when it detects a car in front of it, or does it use regen? i ask because i've been using it (and it works quite well) to control the speed when i'm on side roads, and as long as there's a car in front of you it will even work nicely to stop/start at traffic lights.

the question came about in my mind the other day, when i had TACC engaged and came up to a light that had a few cars stopped at it - i let the car stop itself, which it did just fine...however, it made me wonder if it was using the actual brakes? if so, i probably would be better in scenarios such as that to just disable the cruise at that point and let the car slow itself down via regen, and only use the brakes at the very end if needed...although that would defeat the purpose of using TACC to control speed and stop/start at lights if there's a car in front of you (i know it's not necessarily really intended to do that, but it does work).

it's kind of a catch-22 perhaps...

Autopilot could definitely use more smoothing on its following speed. It seems to vary quite a bit depending on who I'm following. I think there is a large percentage of drivers who pulse width modulate the throttle to maintain speed.
I’ve noticed that as well. That’s the disadvantage to following someone.
Some additional smoothing would be nice.
I saw some general follow smoothness improvements with 34.1 so it feels like they’re starting to address it.