Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does tapping "Advanced" in software update actually do something?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember a few months ago, someone posted that if you tap the "advanced" button five times that it forces a software update if you hadn't gotten it yet. A lot of people replied "it worked" including me, but I wasn't sure if it was just coincidence.

Then last night, I was in my car in my garage and figured "what the hell" and tapped the button maybe ten times. It started a GPS maps update download.

So that leads me to believe that it actually does something. Unless it was coincidence again?

Every time you go to that screen at all it "checks" (and says so if you look at it)

What is happening is while it's doing that (since it takes a few seconds) people are tapping on the button and then when it finds an update (from its original check that began when you went to the screen) people are thinking the tapping on buttons did something.

It doesn't.

I remember a few months ago, someone posted that if you tap the "advanced" button five times that it forces a software update if you hadn't gotten it yet. A lot of people replied "it worked" including me, but I wasn't sure if it was just coincidence.

Then last night, I was in my car in my garage and figured "what the hell" and tapped the button maybe ten times. It started a GPS maps update download.

So that leads me to believe that it actually does something. Unless it was coincidence again?

There is already another thread about this.

Software Update Standard vs Advanced

I think it does. In the past I have seen certain elements of features appear before the update - but that has not happened in a while.

Moving from standard to advanced makes your car check for an update.

As I said in the other thread.....

I am set to advanced.
My neighbor is set to standard.
Last 3 updates....he got it first.

Here is what the owners manual says. Clear as mud as to whether it really makes any difference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 12.46.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 12.46.02 PM.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 498
  • Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: jpfive and Watts_Up
What works for me everytime is opening the right rear door, then sitting in the driver seat and rolling down the window, then turning the steering wheel 2 turns to the left and then right 3 turns, then opening and closing the trunk 4 times, then lifting the front left corner with a bottlejack 2" off the ground, and then disconnecting and reconnecting the main battery 5 times, and then calling my brother in Louisiana, then having a steak with salad with filtered water to drink, and then pressing Advanced only 1 time. Pressing it 2 times completely messes everything up!

So, pretty much, standard and advanced are basically the same thing.
It’s still up to Tesla as to when they upload the software to you regardless of what option you’ve selected.
Personally, I don’t think either option gets you the FW any quicker.
I think the idea was to mimic the Linux release with Candidate and Stable versions.

But since there is no detailed description of the new features added, and bugs or regressions fixes,
it is difficult to know if a standard update is a version without any know regressions from the previous standard one.

- There is no different label notation between standard and advanced.

- One interesting feature would be to be able to go back to a previous release in case you noticed a regression.

- Also for each of the Tesla Models, there is no hardware version well defined, like manufacturing date.
Only time to time some comments from EM like "All the Models builds after ... will support this feature."

Getting a new version is not always mean getting a better version.
In my particular case, for more than a year I lost the Bluetooth phone capability until I got the 2020.12.5.

In conclusion I will still continue looking at my phone App every 5 minutes, to see if a new update is available...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: C141medic