Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla always provide a loaner when car is in for warranty work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i believe there policy is you get a loaner or Uber credits if the service is going to take over 4 hours
i really love the "or". a loaner is practicable for everyone. Uber credit definitely aren't. especially when SCs sometimes delete the credit the moment the car is ready for pick up and you have to pay that ride as well. for anyone being more than 50 miles from an SC ... the uber credit doesnt work.

I got a brand new model x (delivered on 7/28/20222) with a falcon wing sensor issue, doors almost didn't open the very first time I tried always had to override them manually, they only open when there is no sunlight. I opened a service request they asked me to get the car to Dublin ,CA service center and the message clearly says no loaner will be provided and service is expected to take 72 hours 🤦‍♂️. All I can do is politely request for a loaner as I do not have a second car at this time (This after spending $110K 🙄)
I spoke with the Dublin Service manager today and said they are no longer providing loaners or Uber credits. He said they are recommending you provide your own transportation. I went there for emergency service today and service manger, PS or JS provided no name, said "you are on your own for transportation. They service over 70 cars a day and can no longer provide loaners, rental cars or Uber credits" I own three Tesla cars, 2 M3 1 MY, bought one of the first MS in 2013 and have seen the service deteriorate each year.

• Helpful
Reactions: texas_star_TM3
While they can make any policy they wish, these are things that are worth pushing toward Elon. No he doesn't read every tweet he is tagged in, but he is amazingly engaged for his level in multiple endeavors - and tweets are not the only method to bring items to attention.

With him pushing for service to improve with Tesla it seems there may be some disconnects between local staff and corporate wishes. That doesn't surprise me.

My first guess would be someone at that particular service center making their own decisions to try to improve their numbers for as long as they can get by with it. You have trouble getting managers who have other car industry experience adapting to the different expectations Tesla has (which are also a constantly changing target).

uber credits here only (Texas) ... they work for me (live within 20 miles of 3x Service Centers) but they don't work for folks outside the metroplex.
Tesla lackluster service experience may be the main reason if we ever decide to buy a different EV (thinking Cadillac Lyriq over the Model Y). Sewell Cadillac will treat you just a tad different than the Dallas SC

A couple of years ago, when I had my used Model S, I got a mix of loaners and Uber credits. When I took my 2022 M3 last week, the SC explained that I wouldn’t get a loaner and that I’d get Uber credits only if my repair was slated to take longer than 2.5 hours. It was projected to take 2.5 hours, and it took exactly 2.5 hours (while I waited).

I have mine in for service right now tried to get a loaner but they said there is not any available. So they can give me Uber credits. That doesn’t help much since I’m 2 hours from the service center. So I had to have someone drive 2 hours to pick me up.

I spoke with the Dublin Service manager today and said they are no longer providing loaners or Uber credits. He said they are recommending you provide your own transportation. I went there for emergency service today and service manger, PS or JS provided no name, said "you are on your own for transportation. They service over 70 cars a day and can no longer provide loaners, rental cars or Uber credits" I own three Tesla cars, 2 M3 1 MY, bought one of the first MS in 2013 and have seen the service deteriorate each year.
Wow, that is not acceptable at all. WTF?

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
I want to type so much based on my past experience lol, but I’ll just say no, unless you live 50 miles (I think that’s the cut off) or further from the SC.
I have given this same advice on other brands (Audi and Land Rover, most notably) in talking to friends who were interested in a particular vehicle, but the nearest dealership was around 100 miles away from them. The same friends I would tell to avoid a Tesla completely, for exactly the same reasons.

For any vehicle, considering both the convenience and the quality of the service available to you is an important part of the decision - every new vehicle will end up having to have some form of service appointments/warranty work done. The owner will most likely interact with a given service center (even with traditional dealerships) far more than the sales teams.

Reactions: phishphan
I’ve had to rent my own vehicle for three weeks. Even when they messed up and ordered the wrong replacement part forcing me to extend my rental another 4 days, they didn’t provide a loaner, or anything in the way of compensation.

I’ve had to rent my own vehicle for three weeks. Even when they messed up and ordered the wrong replacement part forcing me to extend my rental another 4 days, they didn’t provide a loaner, or anything in the way of compensation.
I had my car in to replace the charger port and prior to the call I told them I needed a loaner or uber credits. On the day I asked for a loaner if they had one, they did so I took it home. If they didn't have a loaner they were going to give me $100 a day credits. I don't understand why they are so inconsistent.

Policy seems to vary based on the SC. My local SC policy is that if it's under 48 hours, they will not provide you with a loaner, but will give you uber credit, more than 48 hours, they will try to arrange a loaner, but depends on whether they have any available.