Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla buy back any Model S's not financed through them, not as a trade-in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure they'll make you a low offer to buy it back if you so choose. You can bet it will be much lower than market value. I would just list the car on cars.com and/or e-bay and see what it brings. Can almost guarantee it will be more than what Tesla would buy the car for. If you price it reasonably, no reason why it wouldn't sell in a week or so.

Given that there are no discounts and no incentives to buy new cars I can't see why they wouldn't give you the exact same price to buy your car from you as they would value it as a trade-in. Their trade-in prices are set so that they can turn the car around and sell it for a profit, not as a way to convince you to upgrade.

Just spoke to my DS about Tesla's Buyer Protection and third party financing. They will not honor the buy back protection if you seek out your own financing. I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, but it may give some insight into how Tesla is pretty dedicated to their preferred "in-house" financing options.

I don't know if this changed, but didn't Tesla used to use Autonation for trade-ins? Anyways, as with trade-ins, even if Tesla does buybacks, you aren't going to get a very good offer compared to private party. It even says so in the trade-in page.
http://www.teslamotors.com/support/trade-ins

If you don't want to deal with private party, you can try autonation and carmax. You can try calling your local Tesla store to ask also.

However, if you are talking about the buyback protection policy, it does not apply unless you use their financing (makes sense given buyback is designed to be an answer to leasing; if you use your own financing it's no different to Tesla than you buying the car outright).