Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla change 12V batteries in annual service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went in for my first "annual" service at about 8 months, based on mileage. They did not replace the 12V battery.

From what I've read here you should see some kind of warning before the 12V battery fails. But it may vary by vehicle: I get the impression that with early vehicles the 12V battery sometimes failed without any warning. I hope someone more knowledgable will correct that if needed.

Reactions: Matias
The car monitors lifetime cycling of the 12V batteries and gives a warning that battery need to be changed "soon". I happened to get this warning before going on the road trip and been advised by my SC that warning does not mean that failure 12V battery imminent, and it is safe to go on road trip, while making appointment with SC to replace battery within "couple of weeks or little more."

I successfully went on for a road trip and then replaced the battery about 2-3 weeks after appearance of the first warning.

My first battery replacement was at around 18 month. Now, 2 Years and one month later, I am still using the replacement battery with no problems so far.

Last edited:
We have had our 12V battery changed at two of our three "annual" services, which wound up being just under two years, as we have now driven about 38,000 miles in just over two years. Both times we had no idea there were any issues with the 12V. We had not received any messages. Apparently the diagnostics Tesla runs must have indicated we needed the replacements.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I got the "replace 12 volt battery soon" warning a few weeks ago and I just had the battery replaced last week. 3 year old car with just over 60,000 km on it. Service told me it could have lasted even longer since the warning comes on with lots of advanced notice. I also got the LTE upgrade at the same time and I am really pleased with the difference of speed maybe because I didn't have high expectations after reading posts here.