Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla give loaners for service appointments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got our MYP yesterday and there’s a pretty bad stain/smudge on the trunk glass between the glass and the tint that they need to fix. First service appointment isn’t available for a couple weeks, but the Tesla is our only car. Is there a way to schedule service and guarantee we receive a loaner of some sort? Does Tesla even give loaners?

Its hit or miss. Most service centers will not give a loaner unless the repair is a few days or more. They will offer uber credits. You certainly can ask, though. Most centers have loaners available but they are either checked out by someone else, and / or reserved for people with long repairs.

Reactions: GtiMart
My understanding is if they're planning on keeping your car for more than 2 days, they'll give you a loaner....for people where it is less than 48 hours, it is a bit hit and miss. And in lieu of a loaner, they'll give you some Uber credits, I think like 100 a day...

Yah I had to actually go to do a hinge service which was supposed to take just the day. I came early, they said here are your uber credits but said that I need to run a ton of errands and would it be ok to have a loaner. They gave me a m3 performance and the service actually ended up taking 3 days

@everydaychris covered this topic in his recent Youtube video on getting his battery pack replaced. Basically loaners are first-come first-served, so you want to be dropping your car off for service when the service center opens for your best chance at getting a loaner car.
That's not correct. As others have said, it depends entirely on the service being done. Chris had his HV battery replaced so he got a loaner.

I used to receive a loaner at the Rocklin, CA SC when I had my Model S but sometime in 2020 it switched to only Uber credits. I remember one visit they loaded my app with $200 Uber credits. Most recently last week I received $100 Uber credits when I brought the Y in to replace a cracked windshield. Took 10 weeks for the windshield to arrive and they had the Y for two days, but no mention of loaner at any point throughout the 10 week wait. It was always going to be Uber credits as they pushed each appointment out another two weeks until the part arrived.

i've found it most useful to bring my own loaner. I have a Model S and a Model 3, so in the unusual circumstance that one of my cars is in for service (when Teslas don't REQUIRE service, you know) I bring along the other car and drive away happily. This gives a much nicer experience than using some old beat up Pontiac they have sitting out back that's covered in dirt, or some unshaven Uber driver that looks like I got him out of bed.

i've found it most useful to bring my own loaner. I have a Model S and a Model 3, so in the unusual circumstance that one of my cars is in for service (when Teslas don't REQUIRE service, you know) I bring along the other car and drive away happily. This gives a much nicer experience than using some old beat up Pontiac they have sitting out back that's covered in dirt, or some unshaven Uber driver that looks like I got him out of bed.

Not everyone here is privileged enough to have a spare Tesla, as you do.

Bruce.

That last part was funny. The male Uber drivers look like they’re in their PJs. The female ones, that start their day as early as 5am in some cases, still took the time to get properly dressed.