Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla have any live ordering support?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
I just tried to help someone order a Tesla. 2 hours trying to complete the order, and no way to finish. As soon as it gets to creating an account, it claims "email already exists", however any attempts to reset the password do not work (no reset password email ever arrives, not in spam folder either). The weird part is that even when trying to sign in, the "Email already exists" error pops up even before trying to enter the password (tried from different computers/tablets, different browsers, same error)!?! Linked support pages are completely useless. Here is the error which pops up as soon as you enter the email address:
1673928245631.png

Why would the system throw this error after entering only the email to sign in? The only think I can think of is this person bought some Tesla items from their store but checked out as guest, so perhaps that system created some limited account under that email address, and that email account is locked from having a password?

Anyhow, anyone know life support phone number from Tesla CANADA, or did Elon decided that's not worth having? If so, no wonder their sales are down.

Try adding a dot in the gmail username.. so if it's [email protected], try [email protected] (or the reverse, if remove the dot is there is one). Gmail ignores all dots in the name part, but still delivers email to the same account. You just have to remember the variation used for Tesla (with or without dots).
I did not know that. Thanks. That said, I'm not sure whether or not using a different email will properly link to the order, which is already entered and credit card charger (and charger ordered too, if you add to your order the site splits into 2 different order, one for car, one for charger). The other reason is the relative ordering is a little older, and they don't want to manage multiple email accounts, even if they all get routed to same email. Also a possible problem should google remove that feature.

I have to say this ordering process is very disappointing. I haven't ordered a Tesla in 4 years, I don't remember it being this screwed up (then again, I had a Tesla account since the very first one in 2013). Perhaps Tesla assumes everyone has created a Tesla account prior to ordering? If that is true, they should require creating an account before taking the order, though I wouldn't be surprised if Elon overruled such requirement if he thought that would turn people off before the deposit is paid, resulting in this broken process. No time to deal with it until later today, but if we cannot resolve it soon Tesla might lose a Model Y order to an ID.4 purely due to inability to order online and zero support. Or maybe it's an Elon optimization - something along the line of lose x% of customers but save 100% cost of live ordering support? Perhaps that approach nets a profit. 🤷‍♂️

Resolution. 1(888)-51-TESLA

I didn't have to call it though. It turns out the problem was Tesla servers are very slow. All the password reset emails eventually arrived overnight (a whole bunch of them as we tried resetting the password many, many times, last night). After resetting the password, completing the ordering info was straightforward, no more issues. Note, it wasn't gmail or even all Tesla servers, since the initial deposit receipts came right away, so did the charger order confirmation which was ordered with the car, and other emails arrived just fine during the same evening. Still no idea how the account got created, perhaps last year when checking out as guest buying some accessories (Christmas gifts), or when placing the order deposit last night. End result is it created a very poor ordering experience, where in the middle of the order, the credit card is charged, but no way to complete the order.

PS> There is a support phone number, but it does not show up until you log in and try to complete the delivery details. So if you cannot login, no luck. It's 1(888)-51-TESLA in case anyone is looking.

With 1.5 billion people possibly using that "feature", it would absolutely break gmail if Google didn't support the dots anymore.
I see your point. I also see a potential revenue source, should Google suddenly feel the need to pull an Elon "subscription for blue check" type trick, in this case it would be "subscription for dot usage". ;)

Last edited: