TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does Tesla make money on Supercharging?

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Teriyaki88, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

Question: How much $$ do you think Tesla makes on each vehicle that charges here?

2. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

$0. I'm sure they get nothing of the parking fee, and even for 3s that have to pay for supercharging, that cost doesn't compare to the demand charges Tesla has to pay.

• Like x 4
  3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Superchargers are not profit centers ..but the Donut Bar down the street seems busier

• Funny x 1
  4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

None. If Tesla is lucky, they might, just might recoup operating costs from Model 3s. They won’t get paid by the landlord if that’s what you’re wondering about.

• Like x 1
  5. Graffi

Graffi Member

Easy, NOTHING! It costs Tesla for the Superchargers and installation, as well as the on-going electricity used.

• Like x 1
  6. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

So far everyone's no one's right. Let's hear some more guesses. :)

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

what on earth are you talking about? do you have some magic inside information or something?

The majority of Teslas on the road right now have free supercharging. If you take in an average of 20cents/kwh charged to commercial utilities, you do the math of how much tesla PAYS everytime someone charges their car for free.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

But the math is useless if you don’t actually know if tesla pays for the electricity.

9. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

But... but... Where else am I going to engage in useless baseless speculation? I can only claim so many times that a Model S refresh is guaranteed to be coming soon because [insert flimsy reasoning here]!

• Funny x 4
  10. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

several thousand minus.
    At this point in time the supercharger network is a very expensive work-in-progress investment in the future.
    It will take decades to turn the Supercharger network into a profit center, if that ever actually happens.

• Like x 1
  11. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

Keep in mind my question was only for the downtown SD location, not for the entire SC network. Anyone who parks at this location pays. Any Tesla owner who uses the facility also pays a fee. So why would Tesla put this in a location where they would be responsible for the parking fee? They wouldn't (for this location).

My question to the forum was just to see what people thought about the cost of running this place (SD only), and how much Tesla would be willing to pay. There's a financial benefit to Tesla for providing a charging location. There is a 'benefit' to the owner of the property who now get more traffic to the area and get additional fees. The question is what or how much does Tesla get per car in return? :)

• Informative x 1
  12. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

They actually lose money now on superchargers. That a pretty tough business model to make money on. The superchargers are a way to help relieve the publics fear of range issues for Tesla EV's.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. Graffi

Graffi Member

Since this question arose from the San Diego A Street Parking Garage Supercharger, I believe the OP was asking if Tesla got paid any of the Parking Fees paid by Tesla Drivers to the garage for the privilege of using these Superchargers. Let is focus our speculation on this issue.

For me, I would think that Tesla had to agree to pay a monthly fee to the garage to be able to use the garage for locating the Supercharger in this location. This is why I thought that each of our Tesla's Nav would give us the code to enter the garage without paying a fee, such as the "Monthly" users.

• Helpful x 1
  14. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

Yup, this. Superchargers only make money in so far as they cause EV buyers to buy Tesla rather than from a lower cost competitor who does not have a charging network.

• Like x 1
  15. SSonnentag

If not for Tesla superchargers, our family would not be able to own only EVs. We drive long distances that non-Teslas cannot yet do, due to the lack of fast charging along the route.

• Love x 1
  16. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

M3 owners in CA are charged $.26. I pay $.12 for my electricity so I do most of my charging at home.

• Like x 1
  17. SSonnentag

I'm curious about the EV plan you must be on. Do you have a separate meter for the EV circuit? How does the power company ensure some sly homeowner doesn't tap into the circuit to power other non-EV items?

18. David99

David99 Active Member

The estimated cost for installing a Supercharger is $100-$200k. They clearly have to pay for electricity in most places. They clearly have to pay for upkeep of these sites. In some places they probably have to pay for parking spaces. At this point the vast majority of Teslas have free Supercharging. Looking at the current Supercharging fees and considering all the fact mentioned above, it's not hard to conclude that Tesla is not making money on Superchargers.

That may or may not change in the future. But as of now, definitely not.

Tesla has said in the overall picture, the cost for Superchargers is small. It is a very strong marketing tool and selling point for their cars. Money well spent.

• Like x 2
  19. EldestOyster

EldestOyster Member

So much overthinking.

How much does Supercharging cost Tesla?
    Our costs vary based on both operational and electricity costs but Supercharging is offered to our customers below the price that it costs us to provide the service. Similar to our Service Centers, this will not be a profit center for Tesla.

Supercharging

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Not sure I like the tone of this question and the follow up...

• Disagree x 1