Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla make people impatient?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In every car I've had, I made a point to drive as if I share the road with people with places to go. Get up to speed. Decisive predictable moves. Etc. It always annoyed me when people take forever to get up to speed, but after driving my Tesla, i noticed I'm even MORE annoyed by it. Several cars today driving 25 in a 45.... 45 in a 60... 50 in a 70... ...and then there's the people that take a full minute just to accelerate to 60mph. Drives me insane. I'd rather not drive than drive on the road with people like that. If anything, THAT'S what will get me to buy FSD. Has anyone else noticed being more annoyed by this sort of thing?

Yes but I think they are just exercising control. I don't mind people going slow so long as they follow proper road manners. Cutting into the left lane and proceeding to go 10 mph below the speed limit is not very courteous.

Then again there are a lot of states with medical or recreational pot so it could be a contributing factor 😂

Or they might just be trying to save gas.

Most of the time I just shake my head.

In every car I've had, I made a point to drive as if I share the road with people with places to go. Get up to speed. Decisive predictable moves. Etc. It always annoyed me when people take forever to get up to speed, but after driving my Tesla, i noticed I'm even MORE annoyed by it. Several cars today driving 25 in a 45.... 45 in a 60... 50 in a 70... ...and then there's the people that take a full minute just to accelerate to 60mph. Drives me insane. I'd rather not drive than drive on the road with people like that. If anything, THAT'S what will get me to buy FSD. Has anyone else noticed being more annoyed by this sort of thing?
If you drink coffee, might be time to cut back to one cup a day or decaf 🤣. I have to as well.

Been having the opposite problem here. I do not drive slow, but so many drivers feel they have to get ahead or beat me off the line. Also, speeding up to cut in front of me. Like I said, no slouch here, but more people from other states have been moving here and bring their driving habits..I suppose, must be the same where you are.

If the Model Y is your only car, it’s easy to forget that not everyone on the road can accelerate so effortlessly. I had to remind my wife of that on our last road trip when she yelled at the car in front of us to “Go!” when we were taking off from a traffic light on a 65mph highway. I said, ”that car probably has 60% of the HP of this car and even less torque. He’s likely doing the best he can.“

I rotate between our MYLR and a Honda Element. Driving the Element after a few days in the Y is soul-crushing 🤣

THAT'S what will get me to buy FSD

Not sure what you think FSD will do for you that the AP function is not doing? FSD adds the ability to set a destination and then the car makes lane changes, and exits and enters highways. But in my experience these don't work very well if there is lot of traffic and it really pisses people behind you off when the car takes an entry/ exit ramp turn at say 35 MPG when everyone else is doing more like 45. I never use the navigate function of FSD anymore. We'll see if the Beta is any better.

OP: I think there's something to your point, as our perception of speed is altered with the effortless, seamless power delivery of the Tesla (or any EV). I doubt this is exclusive to Tesla.

My family tells me that, with the Tesla, my acceleration, and my driving, is MUCH more aggressive than in our other cars, when in fact, I'm deliberately driving gently when they're in the car with me. Seriously. I drive very cautiously with passengers.

Reactions: DblOSmith
My family tells me that, with the Tesla, my acceleration, and my driving, is MUCH more aggressive than in our other cars, when in fact, I'm deliberately driving gently when they're in the car with me. Seriously. I drive very cautiously with passengers.

Totally agree. When I am at a light with other cars next to me I leave them all in the dust. Not on purpose at all, the car just goes without any effort. And passing cars is truly effortless.

Last edited:
The problem is that gas cars cannot develop the torque they need for passing, or just accelerating from a light, to get up to speed in any decent amount of time. It irritates me to have only 3 or 4 cars slowly ooze through a traffic light before the yellow light comes on, like they're all taking a nap at the light. I'm not in any big hurry, but it's unkind and thoughtless of gas cars to block a half dozen others who will have to sit another few minutes to the next green light just because their weak torque car can't get its oomph on quickly enough. I pass them if I can, and probably cut back in front of them just a teeny bit early, JUST to let them know they're blocking the road.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I accelerate pretty slowly from a light and usually stick to the speed limit. I stay in the slow lane though.

After many years of testing routes and speeds I did not find that there was an appreciable difference in arrival times due to traffic lights.

So I just went slow to save gas. I can only assume that going slower saves electrons as well.

Did I mention I never want to go back to a gas vehicle? Lol. Our minivan has been parked in our driveway since we got our Ys.

• Love
Reactions: Ciaopec
Been having the opposite problem here. I do not drive slow, but so many drivers feel they have to get ahead or beat me off the line. Also, speeding up to cut in front of me. Like I said, no slouch here, but more people from other states have been moving here and bring their driving habits..I suppose, must be the same where you are.
I spent time in Oregon. You must be talking about the invasion of Californians. lol ;)

• Funny
Reactions: RSpanner and jpfive
If the Model Y is your only car, it’s easy to forget that not everyone on the road can accelerate so effortlessly. I had to remind my wife of that on our last road trip when she yelled at the car in front of us to “Go!” when we were taking off from a traffic light on a 65mph highway. I said, ”that car probably has 60% of the HP of this car and even less torque. He’s likely doing the best he can.“

I rotate between our MYLR and a Honda Element. Driving the Element after a few days in the Y is soul-crushing 🤣
Heh, fair. ...but I had the same complaints driving my 2007 Honda CRV that I traded in for my first Tesla. It should not take you a full minute to accelerate to 60. A minute is an incredibly long time. lol

Reactions: shoemakj
Not sure what you think FSD will do for you that the AP function is not doing? FSD adds the ability to set a destination and then the car makes lane changes, and exits and enters highways. But in my experience these don't work very well if there is lot of traffic and it really pisses people behind you off when the car takes an entry/ exit ramp turn at say 35 MPG when everyone else is doing more like 45. I never use the navigate function of FSD anymore. We'll see if the Beta is any better.
Well, full level 5 FSD or whatever, I can just read a book on my way home from work.

OP: I think there's something to your point, as our perception of speed is altered with the effortless, seamless power delivery of the Tesla (or any EV). I doubt this is exclusive to Tesla.

I think that's my point, yes! Even if some butthead revving in a Veloster N keeps up with me normally from a light, his car is making all kinds of noise to do it.... and then once he has to shift, it's over. So cool that we don't have to shift.

roblab: time for decaf...Your perception has changed, they're not being "unkind and thoughtless", just driving the way "they" have always driven.

The EV (instant torque) is what has changed. We are the exception, they are the rule.
I think both can be true. They can be driving the way they always have been: in an thoughtless kind of way. There's a middle ground. I'm not mad because they're not flooring it, speeding, or that they're not even going 50% throttle. Cruising 40 in a 60 or driving as if you're hypermiling is thoughtless and rude and has nothing to do with gas vs electric.

My first month or so with my M3LR the car brought out the absolute worst in me as a driver, and I'm not proud of it. Instant torque is just so...instant, even in Standard mode. Why can't ICE cars just keep up? 🤬

I'm happy to say that after that first month or so I've moderated down to my usual grandpa driving as my kids call it. 🐢 Not everyone can upgrade to an EV at the same time. I do have the occasional fun, of course. Sport mode in the MYP is just crazy. So, OP, hang in there. You'll moderate...probably.😉

My first month or so with my M3LR the car brought out the absolute worst in me as a driver, and I'm not proud of it. Instant torque is just so...instant, even in Standard mode. Why can't ICE cars just keep up? 🤬

I'm happy to say that after that first month or so I've moderated down to my usual grandpa driving as my kids call it. 🐢 Not everyone can upgrade to an EV at the same time. I do have the occasional fun, of course. Sport mode in the MYP is just crazy. So, OP, hang in there. You'll moderate...probably.😉
Maybe, but I've had Teslas for 2 years now. First a M3 with boost, now a MYP. I don't see it happening. :) I remember driving in Chill mode for a while with my M3, but... that didn't last long.

Reactions: HSATD
Ah - the power of a Tesla is so addicting!

I’ve heard other’s say similar things. Even before I had a Tesla I used cruise control heavily, even in town as a way to check my speed and keep myself from speeding. I find it even more necessary with my MY. No motor noise and all that power mean I’m going 50 in a 30 without even realizing it! I also have the chime enabled to remind me when I’m going 5 over.

Nowadays I‘m using FSDb for the majority of my driving and it’s slower off the line.