Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla Negotiate on the Lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do including that in lists payments even more.
I don't get what you're trying to say here.
I believe the $7500 is already accounted for in Tesla's listed price for lease.
I pay plenty of taxes so I will get the full $7500.
The Lease would cost me $6900 more plus/minus the residual value at resale if I sold at 36 months.
The lease residual is based on 51 to 53% and if I could sell privately at that residual after 36 months then I would come out about $10k better than lease. Even if I sold it for as little as 43% residual I would still break even with lease.

I don't get what you're trying to say here.
I believe the $7500 is already accounted for in Tesla's listed price for lease.
I pay plenty of taxes so I will get the full $7500.
The Lease would cost me $6900 more plus/minus the residual value at resale if I sold at 36 months.
The lease residual is based on 51 to 53% and if I could sell privately at that residual after 36 months then I would come out about $10k better than lease. Even if I sold it for as little as 43% residual I would still break even with lease.

Sorry for the misspell. I'm using SwiftKey on my iPhone and I don't recheck.

If the $7500 is accounted for in teslas lease price then buying is better. If the $7500 is not included and can still be included, difference should be negligible in terms of cost it seems. I'll call Monday and inquire. Thanks for clarification...

Reactions: loganintx
In general trade-in either adds or subtracts from the cap cost. For tesla, if you owe on your trade-in, they ask you to bring a check for the amount. If there is excess value on trade-in, it lowers the cap cost.

Tesla submits your car to an online dealer auction and supposedly gives you the best bid they got. However, they are usually lowest. You can get better values at CarMax or other dealers.

It is not a good idea to deduct the trade-in from the cap cost. If the car is totaled early in the lease you lose the trade in value. Much better to sell the car and pocket the cash.

Sorry for the misspell. I'm using SwiftKey on my iPhone and I don't recheck.

If the $7500 is accounted for in teslas lease price then buying is better. If the $7500 is not included and can still be included, difference should be negligible in terms of cost it seems. I'll call Monday and inquire. Thanks for clarification...

The $7,500 is accounted for in the lease. It is added to the residual, which effectively reduces the monthly payment. As I've stated elsewhere, I chose to lease for a different reason. I think there will be major improvements over the next 3 years (bigger battery, faster charging, next gen auto pilot, etc) that will devalue the early MX's. With a lease I can walk away if that happens and either lease or buy another one. If it doesn't happen, which is highly unlikely, I can buy mine off lease.

Most people, when comparing lease vs buy, forget to account for the time value of money by paying up front. If you finance, the monthly payments are higher and the payments remain the same after 3 years so you are paying those high payments for a 3 year old car. If you compare a 72 month loan vs two 3 year leases the numbers are very close, even with the resale value of the 6 year old car and you have had 2 new cars instead of one aging one.

The $7,500 is accounted for in the lease. It is added to the residual, which effectively reduces the monthly payment. As I've stated elsewhere, I chose to lease for a different reason. I think there will be major improvements over the next 3 years (bigger battery, faster charging, next gen auto pilot, etc) that will devalue the early MX's. With a lease I can walk away if that happens and either lease or buy another one. If it doesn't happen, which is highly unlikely, I can buy mine off lease.

Most people, when comparing lease vs buy, forget to account for the time value of money by paying up front. If you finance, the monthly payments are higher and the payments remain the same after 3 years so you are paying those high payments for a 3 year old car. If you compare a 72 month loan vs two 3 year leases the numbers are very close, even with the resale value of the 6 year old car and you have had 2 new cars instead of one aging one.

If the $7500 is already accounted for in the lease, then Logan's calculation of $6900 over the cost of finance is what one would be paying in comparison.

If the vehicle depreciates faster than assumed residual value after 3 years, as well as surpass the presumed $6900 value from Logan's, then leasing would be financially better.

I will probably finance as I do not know how tesla is with lease returns and dings and worn out items. I'm also not too fond of mileage restrictions and will probably even opt for extended warranty like I did with the S.

Reactions: loganintx