Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla no longer let you keep the TREC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm definitely going to want to keep my TRECs since we get a check from the state about ~$1200 a year (depending on the size of your system) for 15 years vs. Tesla just giving us a up front incentive that is less than half of the total amount I can earn. Someone with NJ Tesla energy products please chime in!

Not sure of the current Tesla offerings. My sales guy originally had the SRECS (now TRECS) on my estimate. Was tempting but after looking at the docs online they are (NJ BPU) offering $152/MegaWattHour * 0.6 (Residential Roof) = $91.2. My 12.4Kw system is estimated to produce 14.17 MwH resulting in approx $1,292/yr for 15 years.

My installation just finished last week. Waiting for inspection and utility for PTO. Tesla helped file the appropriate applications and I have a conditional approval of my TREC application with PTO.

Find all the details of the program online.

selling TRECs (same for SRECs) to Tesla upfront may or may not be a good idea. If your paying cash reducing your price up front isn’t bad because the payout is over 15 years. Using a basic 9% return on investment (DJIA is closer to 10 since inception after being adjusted for corporate actions) investing the discounted payment from Tesla over 15 years will give you a greater return.

If you are borrowing at the .99% it’s basically free money and not applying your energy credits would make sense here and i Am now considering it. It’s basically financing your investment at .99 and returning a greater rate (also known as a carry trade).

You also must consider if you will be in your house for the entire period of 15 years. If you are not and didn’t take the upfront from Tesla you may be leaving money on the table. Lots of variables not considered by the author. Moreover you can just select “Potential Incentives Hide” And see the transparent price.

The question still remains whether Tesla even lets you do this. The latest posts on the topic said that Tesla was requiring that you sell the TRECs to them (SRECs no longer exist). One of the issues with this is that if you ever sell your house, the buyer is now on the hook for keeping the system running, which they might not want to be bothered with (and would therefore detract potential buyers).

Maybe? But I'm sure it's a way to make money too. e.g. their system design is claiming 4.881 mWH, which would correspond to $432/year. the discount they are offering is $3700. doing an NPV calculation with a 5% interest rate gives you a $788 NPV.

also PVWatts claims that the expected yearly output is actually 6.442 mWH, which would correspond to $580/year, or $2332 NPV.

• Informative
Reactions: cobra