Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla not handle registration/taxes for Texas customers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 was delivered this week and going into it the folks at the Plano Gallery told me I'd be responsible for the taxes and such. When Tesla dropped it off they reminded me the paperwork would be mailed to me in the coming weeks and then I'd take that to tax office. I honestly didn't ask if they had previously handled this before. I knew Tesla wasn't allowed to have a dealership yet so I knew the buying experience would be very different from my years of previous vehicle purchases.

Just wanted to chime in with this thread, and thanks for all your reports. I figured out that I need to apply for registration and title myself, and pay the sales tax, but I thought I could do that immediately. I didn’t realize I would also need a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin from Tesla. Nobody at Tesla mentioned this to me!

So, apparently that certificate is the only paperwork that I need to wait for, since I seem to have everything else required. The local tax office here told me this morning that I could expect Tesla to send that to me, “though sometimes it takes a while”.

I received my Tesla package today ( 3 weeks after I received the car) My question is what now? I believe all the Vehicle registration offices are closed due to coronavirus. I know you can renew vehicles online but I'm not finding any way of doing an initial registration. If anyone has any info. I'd appreciate it.

I received my Tesla package today ( 3 weeks after I received the car) My question is what now? I believe all the Vehicle registration offices are closed due to coronavirus. I know you can renew vehicles online but I'm not finding any way of doing an initial registration. If anyone has any info. I'd appreciate it.
Until they open up again, there's nothing to be done. perhaps phoning will help. There's likely at least an automated message.

I'm sure the Tax Assessors office will open eventually and they'll get caught up on all the taxes due to vehicle sales. I'd say the hardest part might be sitting on a few thousand when you might otherwise need it for other things right now. I'd also guess if you're driving with your temp tag that most Officers understand why it might go expired.

I'm sure the Tax Assessors office will open eventually and they'll get caught up on all the taxes due to vehicle sales. I'd say the hardest part might be sitting on a few thousand when you might otherwise need it for other things right now. I'd also guess if you're driving with your temp tag that most Officers understand why it might go expired.

Thanks, yes it seems like I’ll have to leave the cash in savings until they open. Maybe Texas will just decide it’s a good idea to forgive the tax..haha

• Funny
Reactions: RScottyL
I purchased my car in Nov of '19 and took deliver in late Dec.

I financed through Aliant but Tesla did everything for me. When I picked up the car they said I would get a packet in the mail within the next couple of weeks, then, I filled out all the info (that you normally do at the dealership) which was already pre marked for me to sign. I mailed it tothem, they mailed it to the county I lived in, they mailed it back to tesla, then tesla mailed it back to me.

It took almost 60 days for the entire process. I paid Tesla my taxes and Tesla paid the state.

Really though, six to one, half a dozen another.

Hi Texas friends,

About to get my delivery from Dallas, but gonna register in Austin... I have to register and pay taxes myself...

Yes, When you get your car they will give you 2 months worth of temp. plates. THen within a few weeks you will get a package with everything you need to register your car and pay your tax.

Last week I called the tax office in Austin and the lady said not to worry about anything. Once the Governor opens up the tax office you will still have an additional 60 days to pay your tax and register your car.