Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla not sell Gateways with less than 2 powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a third-party solar installer telling me that Tesla requires a minimum of 2 powerwall per gateway. I have 2 main panels and need 2 gateways, but 4 powerwalls is more backup energy than I need. Can anyone confirm if the 2 powerwalls per gateway is really a Tesla requirement?

I have a third-party solar installer telling me that Tesla requires a minimum of 2 powerwall per gateway. I have 2 main panels and need 2 gateways, but 4 powerwalls is more backup energy than I need. Can anyone confirm if the 2 powerwalls per gateway is really a Tesla requirement?

That could be some sort of requirement for that third party to buy from tesla (I wouldnt know) but I havent ever heard of that requirement from tesla itself previously here.

I doubt thats the case (that it is required to buy 2 powerwalls to get the gateway), but stranger things have happened due to supply shortages etc.

Reactions: Chud and h2ofun
The system really works better with two Powerwalls per Gateway than just a single one. If you really don't need that much backup power, then you would be better advised to find a way to get by with one Gateway. This can be accomplished by separating your loads so that high draw items that don't need backup are in fact, not backed up, and the 200A capability of the Gateway is not exceeded by the backed up loads. Of course, depending on your electrical system topology, this might not be easy.

Thanks for the replies. My home is pretty evenly divided and the sub-panels are far apart. Would be tough to rewire for 1 gateway. It would not not be as bad if they were not sticking it to me with this one added powerwall, about 70% more than the average of the other 3.

Thanks for the replies. My home is pretty evenly divided and the sub-panels are far apart. Would be tough to rewire for 1 gateway. It would not not be as bad if they were not sticking it to me with this one added powerwall, about 70% more than the average of the other 3.
just money, cannot take it with you. IMO, spending your money on more solar panels it better than the cost of batteries

You didn't mention how much solar you have/are installing and where they are located, but I don't understand from your description why you even need a second gateway. Are you over 200A, e.g. a 400A service? It isn't uncommon to have a new main service panel feed the gateway, that in turn feeds your sub-panels.

What is the case is that you are likely to be happier if you have at least one Powerwall for every 5kW of solar production, and if you are close, consider rounding up.

We put in three powerwalls on a single gateway through a third party nine months ago. But with supply chain disruptions and PV tariff actions, who knows?

I would also consider consulting with a second local solar contractor. (And try pricing your system through Tesl, to see what comes out.)

All the best,

BG

You didn't mention how much solar you have/are installing and where they are located, but I don't understand from your description why you even need a second gateway. Are you over 200A, e.g. a 400A service? It isn't uncommon to have a new main service panel feed the gateway, that in turn feeds your sub-panels.

What is the case is that you are likely to be happier if you have at least one Powerwall for every 5kW of solar production, and if you are close, consider rounding up.

We put in three powerwalls on a single gateway through a third party nine months ago. But with supply chain disruptions and PV tariff actions, who knows?

I would also consider consulting with a second local solar contractor. (And try pricing your system through Tesl, to see what comes out.)

All the best,

BG
I have two main panels: 200A and 150A, so that is why the 2 gateways and I am getting a 20.2 KW system. So your suggestion does works out to 4 powerwalls. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I have two main panels: 200A and 150A, so that is why the 2 gateways and I am getting a 20.2 KW system. So your suggestion does works out to 4 powerwalls. Thanks for the info.

We have a similar system going in next week, 19.2kW and 4 Powerwalls, and seems 2 gateways so whole home is backed up.

Question though - It seems that will require sort of a 2 homes view in the app? They said that it will basically be 2 separate systems, each with 2 powerwalls that they try to balance loads on.

Fine, but I'm guessing I'll have to monitor 2 homes (gateways) in the app, configure, etc?