TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does Tesla provide a list of recommended electricians?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hemants, Dec 16, 2014.

1. hemants

hemants Member

If not, does someone in Toronto have a recommendation?

2. wayner

wayner Active Member

They sent me a list along with my order but I am using my own guy.

3. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

JML Electric in Oakville. Tesla in T-O suggests them and so do I.

4. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

This is not a complex install. Any halfway competent, qualified residential electrician should be able to do this.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

^^^^ This. If you are putting in a 14-50 you can think of it as putting an electric stove in your garage--no rocket science. If you're going for the HPWC, it just takes heavier wiring and a larger breaker than the stove.

6. sundoc

sundoc Member

#6 sundoc, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    I went with JML, but to be honest I agree with the above commenters. Any half way competent electrician can do this.
    Interestingly my install didn't pass inspection (plastic anti-shock tabs missing all around). His guy is supposed to come today to fix it... But only after I emailed him regarding it since didn't want to get lost in the holiday break.
    Overall good clean install though but pricey.

update: the electrician came by and installed the tabs, said its the first time they've not passed inspection.

7. GetAmped

GetAmped Member

I posted pictures of my install done by JML Electric, they are an authorized Tesla contractor and did a very professional install. See my post under the Model S: Battery and Charging threads.

8. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

JML was actually the cheapest of the five I got quotes from. They installed an HPWC, but most of the work wasn't because of that.

9. Terapin

Terapin Member

I used JML for my HPWC and to install a new 200 amp panel (old one was 25 years old and had some wonky switches). Other than a minor problem that was rectified quickly, I had no issues with them. They were quiet and considerate, nice guys and it was easy peasy. They were also easy to communicate with, before and after the install.

10. AndrewKo

AndrewKo Member

I just had JML install mine as well. What inspection are you referring to? I want to submit a government rebate, but im not sure were to call for a inspection?

11. sundoc

sundoc Member

@AndrewKo. Jim from JML will be setting up an inspection for you. If you look at your estimate there is a line indicating '...inspection...'

Once that inspection is done, and passed, then we can submit for our rebate.

Also was it the was going to have JML install the retractor/cable assembly? GetAmped? Did you get it done, Jim sent me some pic of a similar install elsewhere. Still thinking about it.

12. GetAmped

GetAmped Member

I love the retractor system, it keeps the connector head off the floor and nicely retracts the cable without any intervention. Highly recommend one. Here is a photo:
    image.jpg

13. sundoc

sundoc Member

Looks good!