Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla really want to have the worst CPO Program in the world?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get your concerns, but at the same time, no one is forcing you to buy from direct from Tesla. If this new strategy bombs for them they will revert.

Oh seriously, who is forcing anyone to do anything? Anyone can wake up and stay in bed all day saying no one is forcing them to do anything :rolleyes:

That's too easy of an excuse to justify anything.

The point is to treat people with respect and fairly. Selling used cars that you can't see in advance and then expecting people who buy those cars to pay extra to refurbish the cars is neither fair not respectful of people who are paying large sums for a used car. This policy is so unreasonable that no car dealer would stoop so low.

The point being, Tesla can and should do better.

Wow. This is very un-Tesla-like. When did this policy change? It's like they're saying "We're going to do a bare minimum mechanical check to make sure the car is not going to get us sued and give it a quick drive through the nearest gas station car wash but other than that, sorry..."

Yes, it's completely appalling. We'd love to replace our last ICE with a CPO but absolutely refuse to be treated this way when buying a used car costing this much.

This new policy seems contemptuous of customers who buy these cars without even seeing photos of the car, trusting Tesla to refurbish and deliver a car they can love and be proud of. There is no longer any basis for that trust.

Wow. This is very un-Tesla-like. When did this policy change? It's like they're saying "We're going to do a bare minimum mechanical check to make sure the car is not going to get us sued and give it a quick drive through the nearest gas station car wash but other than that, sorry..."

This is brand new. Basically they delivered a CPO car that looked trashed, there was an outcry, and now apparently any used Tesla can be delivered in that condition and if you complain that it looks trashed, they will actually give you a bill for the undisclosed damage found after putting money down.

No, I'm not making this up and it is not April 1st. o_O

This is brand new. Basically they delivered a CPO car that looked trashed, there was an outcry, and now apparently any used Tesla can be delivered in that condition and if you complain that it looks trashed, they will actually give you a bill for the undisclosed damage found after putting money down.

It seems more like a tantrum than a thought-out policy.

Check out any used car on Tesla's website and you'll see the disclaimer:
"Not Refurbished: This car has passed a 70-point mechanical inspection and will be cleaned before delivery. If you would like any additional work that is not covered under your warranty, we can help arrange service after delivery for an added cost."
For example (this is one of the most expensive ones on their website):
Model S P90D 5YJSA1E49FF105248 | Tesla

This is a problem if they keep their used car inventory as service loaners. I had a service loaner for quite some time a while back ago during post-delivery QA fixes (new customer order), and I found out when I returned it that the car had actually sold a day or so after I picked up the loaner. I would have been happy to switch out for a different one so the customer could get their car faster, but they didn't tell me about it until I dropped it off to pick up my car. I drive the loaners with respect, but it's pretty obvious that some of them have been driven hard like a rental car. This policy would be less troublesome if it weren't for the fact that you don't really get to see the used car you ordered until delivery time, since it's not like you can check out which one you want on a lot.

This is a problem if they keep their used car inventory as service loaners. I had a service loaner for quite some time a while back ago during post-delivery QA fixes (new customer order), and I found out when I returned it that the car had actually sold a day or so after I picked up the loaner. I would have been happy to switch out for a different one so the customer could get their car faster, but they didn't tell me about it until I dropped it off to pick up my car. I drive the loaners with respect, but it's pretty obvious that some of them have been driven hard like a rental car. This policy would be less troublesome if it weren't for the fact that you don't really get to see the used car you ordered until delivery time, since it's not like you can check out which one you want on a lot.
Indeed, if this is going to be policy from here on out, then Tesla needs to stop the practice of having their used fleet serve double duty as service loaners. I've had several service loaners get sold while they were in my possession and those cars needed some serious work. I generally go out of my way to clean loaners (especially the interiors) and provide Tesla with a detailed list of everything that's wrong with them, but all 8 of the loaners I've had so far have been pretty rough (minor collision damage, paint damage, heavily worn interiors, missing/broken interior trim pieces, etc... and that's in addition to window, door handle, pano roof, drive unit, power steering, and lighting issues that would be covered by the warranty). Passing the cost of the loaner program, from an accelerated wear and damage standpoint, onto used buyers like this is just flat-out wrong.

Auction houses provide a detailed inspection sheet of the cars they are running through, so interested buyers can bid intelligently.

They use a sliding scale, like 1-100 points and buyers can adjust their bids, knowing the condition of the vehicle they are bidding on.

Perhaps Tesla could do something like this for their CPO fleet.

It might be unfair for posters to pile on for a single vehicle that looks like it is not in great condition. These things can happen with any used vehicle. I believe that most of the CPO vehicles are put in pretty good condition prior to sale, but of course there can always be a clinker that falls through the cracks.

I wonder if the original date was April 1st but they postponed it a week so everyone wouldn't think it was a bad joke :)

Passing the cost of the loaner program, from an accelerated wear and damage standpoint, onto used buyers like this is just flat-out wrong.

This is the part that really disgusts me. They are basically having their CPO inventory driven as loaner rentals and trying to get people who buy these cars to pay for all the damage when they don't disclose the damage caused to these cars in advance. And the cars are exorbitantly priced to begin with.

More than anything it just shows utter lack of respect for their customers.

It's just flat out wrong. In my state of Virginia I called and lobbied our legislators, went for hearings, and spoke out to in favor of Tesla when they were fighting car dealers. All because I wanted to believe in my heart that they will take care of customers better than a car dealer. With this new policy, I was apparently wrong. Go try to buy a CPO Mercedes, Audi, or Porsche and see how well the dealers treat you and see how well the cars are refurbished to a point where they are almost like new.

I am shocked that Tesla feels this new policy is the least bit reasonable.

I wonder if the original date was April 1st but they postponed it a week so everyone wouldn't think it was a bad joke :)

Sadly the joke is on whoever now buys these cars from Tesla, knowing the cars can be abused as service loaners, but having no clue about the state of abuse until you pay for the car and show up to pick up the car. Add insult to injury Tesla will then give you a bill to fix all the abuse and recondition the car o_O

This policy is so draconian for customers I can't imagine any car dealer coming up with such a horrible policy.

What has happened to Tesla? :(

Reactions: zmarty
FWIW - We’ve purchased two CPOs and convinced a family friend to purchase one as well. The first two were absolutely immaculate. Despite 50k+ miles our first one looked almost brand new. The most recent one I purchased was last July and it was even higher mileage with the only 2 year warranty. It was definitely not at the level of the first two - however I was content given what I’d paid. Not sure I’d do another CPO with this new policy but will for sure be getting an AWD Model 3 asap. No reservations about buying a new Tesla. Can’t imagine driving another brand given the alternatives.

It's all about cutting costs, but this is the wrong direction....especially for the high cost of the cars.

I can understand cutting costs but whatever happened to treating customers with some respect and dignity? Some of these CPO cars are priced around $70,000 or $80,000. How can they in good conscience sells cars at these prices that have been abused as service loaners for god knows how long, disclose nothing about the damage caused to these cars or the condition they are in, and then expect someone buying one of these cars to pay extra to fix whatever is wrong and refurbish the cars?

So many people are going to completely insulted and rightfully angry when they go to pick up what they thought was a quality used car sold by the manufacturer and then find the car is in poor shape and actually comes with a separate bill for fixing what is wrong. I just don't see how any reasonable person thinks this is right or a reasonable way to treat a customer.

There’s a market for cars (trade ins and loaners) that Tesla chooses not to CPO - it’s called the auction, and the used cars there are rated and priced accordingly.

I’d suggest Tesla either reconsider their new policy ASAP, or that it get out of the used car business entirely and focus upon CPOs only.

Unfortunately, if Elon has already dispensed with the CPO descriptor in favor of used, well, then, there you have it. And remember, since the halcyon days of Jerome in the role (VP Service), and now post JonMc (VP Sales & Service), it appears that Elon has assumed that role as well.

Not impressed with this. Will add it to the growing list of questions for the shareholders meeting.

I can understand cutting costs but whatever happened to treating customers with some respect and dignity? Some of these CPO cars are priced around $70,000 or $80,000. How can they in good conscience sells cars at these prices that have been abused as service loaners for god knows how long, disclose nothing about the damage caused to these cars or the condition they are in, and then expect someone buying one of these cars to pay extra to fix whatever is wrong and refurbish the cars?

So many people are going to completely insulted and rightfully angry when they go to pick up what they thought was a quality used car sold by the manufacturer and then find the car is in poor shape and actually comes with a separate bill for fixing what is wrong. I just don't see how any reasonable person thinks this is right or a reasonable way to treat a customer.

Where are you getting that the customer has to pay to fix what is wrong? Tesla fixes all the mechanical issues, and the car still has the standard warranty. The only things not fixed that used to be are the small scratches, dents, dings, etc. Purely cosmetic. These do not hinder the vehicle's operation, and you sure as *sugar* don't have to pay to get them fixed if you don't want to.

I will agree buying a car fully sight unseen makes this rough for the buyer, as before Tesla would fix this stuff up, but don't go saying you are stuck with some extra automatic bill to repair these. You aren't. You are given a list of cosmetic things that can be fixed, it's your call if you want to or not.

Reactions: bhzmark