Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla really want to have the worst CPO Program in the world?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely seeing a lot more cars with a lot of cosmetic issues compared to even a month ago.

I've seen pictures of maybe 25 cars at this point (all based in CA) and over time the quality of cars they are listing has gone to crap. At first, I was seeing (through strained eyes because of really low resolution pictures) minor scratches or paint chips; cars seemed generally acceptable for the age. I didn't pull the trigger because it didn't have the right color/options/location. The last 5 cars I've seen are really horrid - massive scratches/dents on multiple panels, rock chips all over the hood, completely scraped rims, etc.

On the price side, often if a car is listed starting at a low price they always have really bad cosmetic damage (this seems somewhat reasonable to me). However, what I'm confused about is those cars that start off high and get reduced daily. When they come into my price range and I request pictures, they are still really bad. How can they even list the cars that high to begin with? For example, the particular model I'm searching for - 2015 85D in CA - the price starts off at $70k+, gets down to <$60k and are in horrible condition. I guess if they were good deals someone would've snatched them up already before they even get down to $60k.

At least for the model I'm searching there seems to be an influx of cars lately. It seems Tesla is just lowering their standards, rather than raising them as they have said, and listing any and all cars. My used car sales advisor even told me there definitely will be cosmetic issues and pointed me to Tesla approved body shops. Feeling really discouraged now. Are they really going to make me bite the (big) bullet and get a new 75D...?

Definitely seeing a lot more cars with a lot of cosmetic issues compared to even a month ago.

I've seen pictures of maybe 25 cars at this point (all based in CA) and over time the quality of cars they are listing has gone to crap. At first, I was seeing (through strained eyes because of really low resolution pictures) minor scratches or paint chips; cars seemed generally acceptable for the age. I didn't pull the trigger because it didn't have the right color/options/location. The last 5 cars I've seen are really horrid - massive scratches/dents on multiple panels, rock chips all over the hood, completely scraped rims, etc.

On the price side, often if a car is listed starting at a low price they always have really bad cosmetic damage (this seems somewhat reasonable to me). However, what I'm confused about is those cars that start off high and get reduced daily. When they come into my price range and I request pictures, they are still really bad. How can they even list the cars that high to begin with? For example, the particular model I'm searching for - 2015 85D in CA - the price starts off at $70k+, gets down to <$60k and are in horrible condition. I guess if they were good deals someone would've snatched them up already before they even get down to $60k.

At least for the model I'm searching there seems to be an influx of cars lately. It seems Tesla is just lowering their standards, rather than raising them as they have said, and listing any and all cars. My used car sales advisor even told me there definitely will be cosmetic issues and pointed me to Tesla approved body shops. Feeling really discouraged now. Are they really going to make me bite the (big) bullet and get a new 75D...?

Anybody buying a "CPO" from Tesla needs to be prepared to spend some time and money to clean or repair it to their liking. The cars are almost fixer uppers.
I'm going through that with mine that I picked up 1 week ago.

Last edited:
Anybody buying a "CPO" from Tesla needs to be prepared to spend some time and money to clean or repair it to their liking. The cars are almost fixer uppers.

Shouldn't it be beneath Tesla to sell fixer upper cars in poor condition that necessitate a visit to a body shop?

Isn't that what unscrupulous car dealers are there for?

Shouldn't Tesla's goal be to treat customers better than or at least on par as a car dealer?

Reactions: ElctrcBoogaloo

I am unfortunately discovering this aspect now. We are going through the process of finding a suitable car and I can tell you without a doubt that this is the worst car buying experience of my life. I'll post a detailed summary of our experience when we reach somewhere with this process. In the meantime, I envy the people who find a Tesla to buy private party.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and kavyboy
I am unfortunately discovering this aspect now. We are going through the process of finding a suitable car and I can tell you without a doubt that this is the worst car buying experience of my life. I'll post a detailed summary of our experience when we reach somewhere with this process. In the meantime, I envy the people who find a Tesla to buy private party.

People who buy a Tesla private party are really very lucky as they get to buy the car directly from the original owner in most cases, with full service history, and an accurate description of the condition of the car and actual photos of the car. This is also before the car is potentially abused as a service loaner. I wish more people would at least try to sell their cars private party before trading in.

Ironically it used to be that it was riskier to buy private party when compared to buying from the manufacturer but Tesla has taken the CPO program of just about any manufacturer and figured out a way to make that experience worse for customers by neither disclosing the condition of the car on the sale listing nor fixing damage to the car.

I guess if you like to gamble, the Tesla CPO program is a wonderful experience :p

• Love
Reactions: neroden
1 week with the car - had a great delivery experience.

One of my handles won't come out on the backdoor now but called Tesla and they're already set to fix it and review the other 3 next weekend. It doesn't affect my driving or the car's performance.

Yes, it's a hassle but one - as of now - I'm willing to live with. It's the price to pay for being an early adopter. Just gotta roll with the punches.

1 week with the car - had a great delivery experience.

One of my handles won't come out on the backdoor now but called Tesla and they're already set to fix it and review the other 3 next weekend. It doesn't affect my driving or the car's performance.

Yes, it's a hassle but one - as of now - I'm willing to live with. It's the price to pay for being an early adopter. Just gotta roll with the punches.

The Model S came out in 2012 with many enhancements since then so we are not early adopters any more but the Model S still represents the finest and most technologically sophisticated car you can buy.

I'm glad to hear you had a great delivery experience. Just wish they would run the CPO program consistently with standards so that every customer can look forward to a great delivery experience without all the uncertainity...

I purchased my 2015 Model S 85 a few weeks ago from the Tesla CPO. There were ample photos available and the only damage (a few light scratches) were easily seen and acknowledged by the dealer when I asked about them. The car was as it was represented; it had some usual wear and tear that might be expected with 40,000 miles. The overall experience was a good one (although I had some problems with the original transport coordinator, which were immediately resolved by the dealer when I complained). Tesla was prompt to send a technician to my house to fix a connectivity issue.

Reactions: Fiver
I purchased my 2015 Model S 85 a few weeks ago from the Tesla CPO. There were ample photos available and the only damage (a few light scratches) were easily seen and acknowledged by the dealer when I asked about them. The car was as it was represented; it had some usual wear and tear that might be expected with 40,000 miles. The overall experience was a good one (although I had some problems with the original transport coordinator, which were immediately resolved by the dealer when I complained). Tesla was prompt to send a technician to my house to fix a connectivity issue.

Awesome that you found a car but we are still looking to buy a car and buying a Tesla CPO continues to be the worse car buying experience we've ever endured. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they can't post actual photos of the car they are selling or disclose in the listing the condition of the car.

In 2018 you should not have to email some poor guy to see photos of each individual used car you are interested in buying. o_O

I bought my first Tesla from a small dealer. The owner of the dealer love Tesla. The car was in "like new" condition plus 6 months left of "Tesla" warranty. The overall transaction was great !.

All was great until .... I decided to trade-in my Model S with Tesla and by a CPO. I'm only going to mention a few items:

Trade- In:
- They already received my trade in and the car is currently being sold as part of the Tesla CPO program. What is the problem ? Tesla has not yet paid my bank and I was forced to make the regular payment of the car. Now I have the old car and the new car payments.

Are you waiting to sell the car to pay me ?

CPO car payment:
- I sent the loan check for my CPO car and Tesla deposited the check earlier this month. Early this week I received an email from Tesla saying that they LOST the check and that I need to contact the bank and request a new check. I knew the check was deposited. I provided the employee with the details of when the check was deposited. Instead of showing a bit of customer support and verifying with the finance department if the check was deposited, I had to call the bank for them to write a memo that confirmed that the check was already deposited.

Others:
- My car was constantly "not linked" to my account. The Tesla owners account team did a great job helping me. Cheers for to them. I think I called 5 to 6 times.

As soon I sent the confirmation from the bank, I'm now getting the silence treatment.

• Love

I’m not the least bit surprised. I myself have been looking and eventually got put on ignore by CPO team, I assume from asking too many questions and requesting pictures, and being surprised at the generally atrocious quality of the used vehicles in the poor pictures I did receive. I continue to be nonplussed that the turned in vehicles are not being refurbished at the expense of the of the previous lessees. That certainly is normally how it is with any other manufacturer, certainly any high-end manufacturer. I know rumors have certainly been tossed around primarily having to do with resource redirection towards model threes, as well as trying to discourage the used Tesla market and encourage sales of new vehicles, since Tesla is quite publicly known to be cash strapped. I like many others have my model three reservation and received my notice to order; but I still want to test drive one before I do. I love the S and think it’s a fabulous car, but it is frustrating that the previous commitment Tesla had to their CPO car program has disappeared. Fingers crossed that it might return after the model three crunch dissipates.

• Love
I’m not the least bit surprised. I myself have been looking and eventually got put on ignore by CPO team, I assume from asking too many questions and requesting pictures, and being surprised at the generally atrocious quality of the used vehicles in the poor pictures I did receive. I continue to be nonplussed that the turned in vehicles are not being refurbished at the expense of the of the previous lessees. That certainly is normally how it is with any other manufacturer, certainly any high-end manufacturer. I know rumors have certainly been tossed around primarily having to do with resource redirection towards model threes, as well as trying to discourage the used Tesla market and encourage sales of new vehicles, since Tesla is quite publicly known to be cash strapped. I like many others have my model three reservation and received my notice to order; but I still want to test drive one before I do. I love the S and think it’s a fabulous car, but it is frustrating that the previous commitment Tesla had to their CPO car program has disappeared. Fingers crossed that it might return after the model three crunch dissipates.
i was hung up on today because my credit union kept telling me Tesla didn’t pick or answer emails.
I called, they said-yeah we saw the emails-we’re Busy ....I almost died of laughter.
♂️

• Informative
After lots of unnecessary calls, trying to find answers I was able to complete all the process. Employees from other Tesla locations helped me with the process. I had to call/write emails so many times that I thought i had a new job.

I think the only reason why people by CPO is due to the warranty Tesla give you. To tell you the true i am very surprise by how many people have less than an outstanding experience when they by a CPO.

Hope all of you are enjoining your Tesla, the same way i am