Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla really want to have the worst CPO Program in the world?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This can only mean one thing... it's currently a seller's market for Tesla. It will be interesting to see if...
1. This reduces the price people are willing to pay for a Tesla "CPO", effectively shooting Tesla in the foot.
2. If this improves the market for selling privately, since you can actually see the car before buying.
Time will tell and Tesla will adjust. I wouldn't be surprised if we see refurbished CPOs return in the near future.

This can only mean one thing... it's currently a seller's market for Tesla. It will be interesting to see if...
1. This reduces the price people are willing to pay for a Tesla "CPO", effectively shooting Tesla in the foot.
2. If this improves the market for selling privately, since you can actually see the car before buying.
Time will tell and Tesla will adjust. I wouldn't be surprised if we see refurbished CPOs return in the near future.

If Tesla were selling these cars for 30, 40, or even around 50K I think there would be less of an effect by this policy but at prices above that, I can't imagine a lot of people who are going to be fine with torn or stained headliners, damaged or scratched seats, curbed wheels, paint damage or other issues. I would be so embarrassed to accept delivery of a car in that condition while paying what these cars go for these days as I'd feel ripped off.

What ever a CPO was worth before this policy, it is now worth less because no one can buy one of these cars with the peace of mind that comes with knowing they will receive a car in respectable condition. Earlier we would have been open to buying a CPO we have not seen before but now, we would only consider buying a car that I have inspected personally.

I honestly feel sorry for Tesla employees who have to implement this horrible policy.

Hopefully they will reconsider this horrible policy. There is another thread about a CPO car delivered in bad condition. At least they are doing the right thing by fixing the issues. Imagine if that was your car and they told you "We are not going to fix anything because the car still works 'mechanically'!"

Agreed. I cannot imagine any circumstance under which I would buy a 70K (or more) car without having the chance to go through it. This is very disappointing and it really diminishes Tesla as a brand. The German car makers don't do this, so clearly the CPO refurbishment process is manageable.

I think Tesla's direct sales model might be starting to break down. Much as I don't like dealers, this is going to get tougher and tougher to manage.

Reactions: Electricious
I really don’t see the big deal. CPO still adds the 4 year 50k warranty. You can’t get that from a private seller. That is worth a lot of money. I would value a P85D CPO with a warranty for another 4yrs/50k higher than a private sale with only original warranty.

The market will take care of itself as to what the CPO warranty is worth, versus value of fixing cosmetic issues.

It’s like people who post their cars for sale in the forum and then inevitably multiple vocal people give them grief about their price. But then meanwhile, the seller quietly finds a buyer (or not).

I suspect that Tesla may be managing a quarters expenses as low as possible to possibly come closer to showing a profit for a quarter like they did a while back.

Or they have projected that they spend on average $X fixing cosmetic issues on CPOs that maybe some people won’t care about when instead they could just offer to sell the car at a slowly discounted price and it sells whenever it sells and dedicate the resources that were previously used to fix CPO cosmetic issues to troubleshooting the Model 3 phone as key for all the Model 3 buyers.

I just can't understand how they can charge $98,200 for a 4 year old car and not refurbish it.

R53tHY.jpg

I really don’t see the big deal. CPO still adds the 4 year 50k warranty. You can’t get that from a private seller. That is worth a lot of money. I would value a P85D CPO with a warranty for another 4yrs/50k higher than a private sale with only original warranty.

The market will take care of itself as to what the CPO warranty is worth, versus value of fixing cosmetic issues.

It’s like people who post their cars for sale in the forum and then inevitably multiple vocal people give them grief about their price. But then meanwhile, the seller quietly finds a buyer (or not).

I suspect that Tesla may be managing a quarters expenses as low as possible to possibly come closer to showing a profit for a quarter like they did a while back.

Or they have projected that they spend on average $X fixing cosmetic issues on CPOs that maybe some people won’t care about when instead they could just offer to sell the car at a slowly discounted price and it sells whenever it sells and dedicate the resources that were previously used to fix CPO cosmetic issues to troubleshooting the Model 3 phone as key for all the Model 3 buyers.
The big deal is you order the car, wait 2-3 weeks for it, go to pick it up only to find out the paint has dings and scratches on it. The interior has ripped fabric or seats

The car looks like **** but hey it’s ok, it still drives!

They are really going to have to change the way they sell these cars if this is going to be how they do it, I bought two CPOs in the past, and the only reason I did the “blind” method they currently use was because I knew the car would be refurbished, so it was OK that I couldn’t see it until delivery. The very first VIN I ordered was actually out as a service loaner at the time, and when it was retrieved, it had rear quarter panel damage. Tesla told me and let me swap to a different VIN or get my deposit back. It sounds like with this new program I would have to eat my deposit if the car arrived with a nasty dent in the rear quarter panel.

They need to just wholesale those damaged cars like CarMax does. If it isn’t clean enough when it’s traded in, then don’t list it as a CPO. AND don’t use the car as a service loaner. Park it on a lot like any other dealer does. Maybe even let people who want to buy it test drive the actual car like a (gasp!) traditional dealer!

Now, I am going to want CarMax style pictures of any vehicle I am thinking about buying, or I am only going to be buying local cars that I can see. I have actually bought cars from across the country with CarMax before, and it is great. They have lots of detailed photos, and you can ask for any additional info before paying the shipping fee. Once the car arrives at your local lot, you are only on the hook for the shipping fee if it turns out you don’t actually like it. Overall, it felt like a much more transparent process than Tesla’s program.

Honestly, it is really too bad CarMax doesn’t sell Teslas. I would totally buy one from them, as their extended warranty is rock solid, and they are normally pretty good about making things right if you have an issue. (And yes, CarMax does sell the high end brands - I have seen Rovers, Porche 911s, etc at the Burbank CarMax before being sold for Tesla CPO range prices)

They are really going to have to change the way they sell these cars if this is going to be how they do it, I bought two CPOs in the past, and the only reason I did the “blind” method they currently use was because I knew the car would be refurbished, so it was OK that I couldn’t see it until delivery. The very first VIN I ordered was actually out as a service loaner at the time, and when it was retrieved, it had rear quarter panel damage. Tesla told me and let me swap to a different VIN or get my deposit back. It sounds like with this new program I would have to eat my deposit if the car arrived with a nasty dent in the rear quarter panel.

They need to just wholesale those damaged cars like CarMax does. If it isn’t clean enough when it’s traded in, then don’t list it as a CPO. AND don’t use the car as a service loaner. Park it on a lot like any other dealer does. Maybe even let people who want to buy it test drive the actual car like a (gasp!) traditional dealer!

Now, I am going to want CarMax style pictures of any vehicle I am thinking about buying, or I am only going to be buying local cars that I can see. I have actually bought cars from across the country with CarMax before, and it is great. They have lots of detailed photos, and you can ask for any additional info before paying the shipping fee. Once the car arrives at your local lot, you are only on the hook for the shipping fee if it turns out you don’t actually like it. Overall, it felt like a much more transparent process than Tesla’s program.

Honestly, it is really too bad CarMax doesn’t sell Teslas. I would totally buy one from them, as their extended warranty is rock solid, and they are normally pretty good about making things right if you have an issue. (And yes, CarMax does sell the high end brands - I have seen Rovers, Porche 911s, etc at the Burbank CarMax before being sold for Tesla CPO range prices)

Why doesn't CarMax sell Teslas? Is it a CarMax decision, or Tesla?

I am fine with this as long as the pictures that they promised to provide include any flaws. I would take the dirtiest car on the lot with minor issues if it was going to save me $5,000+ and a month of waiting.

I think we will see many more USED cars coming off leases and driving the price down. Combine that with no refurb and dare I say an interior refresh and we could see some USED prices in the upper $20k's.

Reactions: cwerdna
Why doesn't CarMax sell Teslas? Is it a CarMax decision, or Tesla?

They are probably scared to offer warranty coverage as the ESA is no longer valid when a car's ownership chain touches a car dealer.

I really wish I could purchase a CPO Tesla from CarMax and not Tesla given how awful Tesla has made their used car program. Isn't it interesting for all the talk about how Tesla is better than dealers, it seems dealers do a much better job of offering a quality product in a transparent and reasonable way with refurbishing when buying a used car.

It says a lot that Tesla has somehow managed to be worse than a used car dealer! :eek:

They really need to take another look at this policy and do the right thing.

The big deal is you order the car, wait 2-3 weeks for it, go to pick it up only to find out the paint has dings and scratches on it. The interior has ripped fabric or seats

The car looks like **** but hey it’s ok, it still drives!

"Mechanically Functioning" is the new goal and high bar when you buy a used Tesla from Tesla :p

I guess you can then take your used Tesla that is not refurbished to a used car dealer and ask them how much it would cost to refurbish it, because car dealers -- for all their faults -- seem to have figured out how to refurbish and sell used cars? o_O

Reactions: davidc18
They are probably scared to offer warranty coverage as the ESA is no longer valid when a car's ownership chain touches a car dealer.

Car Max runs their own warranty program which does allow you to service at the OEM dealers. They offer crazy good warranties on Range Rovers, a historically unreliable luxury brand, so I don't know why they would be afraid of Teslas for that reason. They make their money off all the Civic extended warranties they sell that don't get used to offset the costs for the few unreliable luxury cars they are covering.

Tesla's battery warranty is unaffected by ownership chain, so I think that doesn't matter either.

Car Max runs their own warranty program which does allow you to service at the OEM dealers. They offer crazy good warranties on Range Rovers, a historically unreliable luxury brand, so I don't know why they would be afraid of Teslas for that reason. They make their money off all the Civic extended warranties they sell that don't get used to offset the costs for the few unreliable luxury cars they are covering.

Tesla's battery warranty is unaffected by ownership chain, so I think that doesn't matter either.

I hope CarMax starts offering used Tesla vehicles with a warranty.

This would be a great thing for Tesla customers as they need a viable option to purchase a car if Tesla can't be bothered to refurbish cars they sell.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I hope CarMax starts offering used Tesla vehicles with a warranty.

This would be a great thing for Tesla customers as they need a viable option to purchase a car if Tesla can't be bothered to refurbish cars they sell.

Oh, yeah, I would bet CarMax would become the go-to place to buy used Teslas. They offer warranties past 100K miles as well - we were able to buy one on a Tacoma we bought from them with 101K miles.

https://jalopnik.com/my-range-rover-s-carmax-warranty-is-now-half-over-and-i-1733772237
https://dougdemuro.kinja.com/the-coolest-unreliable-cars-you-can-get-with-a-carmax-w-1570429114