Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla really want to have the worst CPO Program in the world?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, yeah, I would bet CarMax would become the go-to place to buy used Teslas. They offer warranties past 100K miles as well - we were able to buy one on a Tacoma we bought from them with 101K miles.

https://jalopnik.com/my-range-rover-s-carmax-warranty-is-now-half-over-and-i-1733772237

I would buy a used Tesla from CarMax in a heartbeat if it was sold with a comprehensive warranty. They already do a great job of refurbishing cars they sell, especially high end vehicles.

Maybe we should start a Change.org petition imploring CarMax to start selling used Teslas. They actually offer very decent trade in prices so they can serve both Tesla owners and those who would like to purchase a used Tesla in like new condition in a transparent and fair way. They can totally corner the used Tesla market.

I would buy a used Tesla from CarMax in a heartbeat if it was sold with a comprehensive warranty. They already do a great job of refurbishing cars they sell, especially high end vehicles.

Maybe we should start a Change.org petition imploring CarMax to start selling used Teslas. They actually offer very decent trade in prices so they can serve both Tesla owners and those who would like to purchase a used Tesla in like new condition in a transparent and fair way. They can totally corner the used Tesla market.

I've also had a great experience with CarMax. However, I doubt that they would want anything to do with Tesla vehicles. Imagine if they needed to replace certain parts while going through their refurb process, the wait time to get the parts would be a killer. Would Tesla even release the repair manual for CarMax? Maybe I'm mistaken, but even current owners have a hard time getting a hold of it.

My issue, based on my experience, is not so much the poor quality of the cars, but rather the extremely poor customer service after the fact.
The stories you hear with Tesla support are just simply unheard of with other reputable car companies. At least unheard to me personally, to be fair.
I could tell you some stories about "reputable" car companies that would change your mind....

I do appreciate that I can finally see inventory cars from all over the US. For the longest time, I could see only one or two or sometimes none -- only the ones available in my area (eastern MA).
Another interesting thing is that looking through the inventory today, the prices are considerably higher for comparable cars than the buy-out price for my lease that expires in September. So, either the CPO prices are terribly inflated, or the lease price is quite reasonable. The one advantage is the CPO warranty, I suppose. Not sure I would pay the premium CPO prices just for the CPO warranty.

CPO prices are terribly inflated, or the lease price is quite reasonable.

Adds up to very strong demand. Good.
The rest?
No you can't see a pic of the car, No you can't see the car,
no you can't drive the car, no you can't get the dp back,
no more reconditioning.

If this were politics someone would say
Elon has been bought off by lobbyists for
The Sellers of Big Oil Gadgets.

A secret plot by to make people love traditional dealers?

Painful that it is all self inflicted.

To the condition of OP's car, allegedly, as delivered?
I did not believe that was a legit post.

Still unsure.
But given the context?
My best guess is they are understaffed, overworked,
without a disciplined, controlled and properly supervised system.
Wild West show, out of control.

A good time to sell franchises,
or enter sales/service partnership?

I would wager Mr Musk did not really include
Used Car Dealer in his things to do list?

"Change The World"
"Go To Mars"
"Sell used Cars"

Adds up to very strong demand. Good.
The rest?
No you can't see a pic of the car, No you can't see the car,
no you can't drive the car, no you can't get the dp back,
no more reconditioning.

My best guess is they are understaffed, overworked,
without a disciplined, controlled and properly supervised system.
Wild West show, out of control.

A good time to sell franchises,
or enter sales/service partnership?

I would wager Mr Musk did not really include
Used Car Dealer in his things to do list?

"Change The World"
"Go To Mars"
"Sell used Cars"

I agree. My best guess is that their facilities and staff -- always a bit thin to begin with -- are terribly overwhelmed by the volume of new cars being sold and needing service, especially as Model 3 deliveries ramp up. In my area, there are the same number of service facilities as there were when i got my car three years ago, but a heck of a lot of more cars in the area now.

Reactions: Icer
Mechanically Inspected

This car has passed a 70‑point mechanical inspection. If you would like any additional work after pickup, learn more about available reconditioning options. For photos and more information, contact us at (888) 818‑3752 or request a call.

Now it says this! ^ ^

So, how much is "available reconditioning", that makes all the difference. If you can get a "CPO" reconditioned for a reasonable rate then this change is not a big deal. Especially if the prices drop by a similar amount due to the ill-advised decision to remove reconditioning from the process in the first place. :rolleyes:

Mechanically Inspected

This car has passed a 70‑point mechanical inspection. If you would like any additional work after pickup, learn more about available reconditioning options. For photos and more information, contact us at (888) 818‑3752 or request a call.

Now it says this! ^ ^

Lord. So I am welcome to take it to a Tesla certified body shop and pay out of pocket? I am sure that will be reasonably priced. :rolleyes:

Could Tesla just come out with two tiers? They can then dispose of cars that are damaged or abused as loaners as "used cars" and then sell cars in good condition as "CPO cars."
  1. Used Cars sold "as is" that are mechanically sound. i.e. wheels turn, steering works, goes forward and backwards, breaks stop.
  2. CPO Cars sold that in addition to being mechanically sound, are also reconditioned/refurbished to industry standards so customers can take home a car they are not embarrassed by. Tesla can charge extra for the peace of mind for customers to buy a car that is like new, just like CPO cars offered by every car dealer.
Would this not make everyone happy and be fair to everyone?

My best guess is that their facilities and staff -- always a bit thin to begin with -- are terribly overwhelmed by the volume of new cars being sold and needing service, especially as Model 3 deliveries ramp up.

Yep. And especially the cars coming off the three year lease-o-rama from 2015 and the two year lease push from 3Q 2016. Reconditioning all those cars is daunting. might be better to get through this impending end-of-lease-hell by skipping the thorough reconditioning and just selling the unreconditoned cars at the price the market will pay.

Yep. And especially the cars coming off the three year lease-o-rama from 2015 and the two year lease push from 3Q 2016. Reconditioning all those cars is daunting. might be better to get through this impending end-of-lease-hell by skipping the thorough reconditioning and just selling the unreconditoned cars at the price the market will pay.

I bet the cars coming out of the 3 and 2 year leases are in much better shape and will require significantly less refurbishing as they have not had any abuse as service loaners. Plus, they can bill the previous owner for any damage or excess wear and tear as stipulated in the lease contract. This will make people who actually cause the damage to pay for that damage.

I think this notion that it costs too much refurbish cars is just silly because for all their faults, every car dealer has figured out how to refurbish cars and make a greater profit selling used cars than they sometimes do selling new cars.

The point here is to offer customers a predictable and reasonable experience which the current policy does not offer.

Reactions: Icer
I thought I saw something earlier that said unrefirbished means cars will may have normal wear and tear (chips in paint, scuffs here and there). But they will still fix damage and excessive wear and tear.

It's just an allocation of limited resources during a time of an unusually high amount of cars coming off lease.

Better they plan now than fail to meet expectations later. Some people may choose not to buy, so that has to be factored in as well.

I thought I saw something earlier that said unrefirbished means cars will may have normal wear and tear (chips in paint, scuffs here and there). But they will still fix damage and excessive wear and tear.

It's just an allocation of limited resources during a time of an unusually high amount of cars coming off lease.

Better they plan now than fail to meet expectations later. Some people may choose not to buy, so that has to be factored in as well.

There is nothing unusual or sudden about knowing lease cars are coming due in 2 or 3 years as they've known that for 2-3 years... o_O

I really think this has more to do with the CPO inventory being trashed as loaners and they want people who buy those cars to pay for that damage but they don;t even disclose what that damage is when you put down a deposit :(

As for failing to meet expectations, that's the definition of their current policy of not refurbishing cars :rolleyes:

I looked at the verbiage again and still all they are saying is that the car will mechanically work and that anything beyond that you are supposed to pay to get anything else fixed and therein is the problem when they sell cars at these prices.

Reactions: Icer and davidc18
My issue, based on my experience, is not so much the poor quality of the cars, but rather the extremely poor customer service after the fact.
The stories you hear with Tesla support are just simply unheard of with other reputable car companies. At least unheard to me personally, to be fair.

THIS x1000 worst customer service experience I have ever had from sale to dealing with delivery day issues

• Love
Reactions: davidc18