Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla really want to have the worst CPO Program in the world?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah! Looks like CarMax is doing a test program by selling Teslas!

First time ever seeing Model S for sale as Carmax!

Thanks for posting this! I really hope CarMax expands this program nationwide.

It's embarrassing how CarMax does a much better job of selling Tesla vehicles than Tesla, as they offer high resolution photos and refurbish the car to look like new.

If CarMax can do this, why can't Tesla? Perhaps Tesla is too busy and their resources are too stretched to sell CPO cars, so maybe they should just work with CarMax to sell their used cars? This way Tesla customers are treated better with a predictable experience on being able to buy a like new used car without having to buy the car from Tesla and then have take it to a body shop for repair without even knowing how much all the repairs will cost. o_O

Reactions: cwerdna
Auction houses provide a detailed inspection sheet of the cars they are running through, so interested buyers can bid intelligently.

They use a sliding scale, like 1-100 points and buyers can adjust their bids, knowing the condition of the vehicle they are bidding on.

Perhaps Tesla could do something like this for their CPO fleet.
Yep. For those who haven't seen ones before, Manheim (who has partnered w/NMAC, for example: Manheim partners with nissan motor acceptance corp. And infiniti financial services to create a better, faster way to turn off-lease inventory into sales) has an "Auto Grade" and and I've seen reports like
INSIGHT Condition Report. (This one was posted on an i3 Facebook group and funny enough, the seller was Tesla). The scale I believe is Manheim (search for clean).

When I was shopping for a used Leaf in July 2015 (to replace my near end of lease Leaf back then), I responded to a Craigslist ad posted by a used car dealer. I contacted them (was a one-man operation, as far as I could tell) but they said they no longer had the car but were leaving their ad up and would be getting another one w/the same equipment level and approximate age. I dropped by when that car arrived (was fresh from the auction still w/Nissan and Infiniti Remarketing sticker still on it) and passed on it for a number of reasons (certain damage, missing a key fob, didn't like color, etc)

But, the used car dealer at the time would go bid on used Leafs. They told me the auctions are every 2 weeks, told me the process, would send me a list of upcoming cars and set a price of $10K for me at max (on a 2013 Leaf SV w/premium package). The Manheim list had the VIN, color (inside and out), model year, trim level, mileage, packages, if any, etc. I picked out 2 VINs I was interested in and ran Carfax/Autocheck on them on my own.

He forwarded me info from Manheim that included pics of the car and the damage Manheim found. Prior to the auction, he went to the auction lot, took some pics of the various damage/flaws he found on those 2 cars and forwarded them to me. He ended up winning the auction on 1 car and that's the car I've been driving since. Cost me $9,325 + tax and license on a ~25 month old lease return, w/under 24K miles and all 12 capacity bar SF Bay Area Leaf w/clean title in pretty good condition. A few days before going thru the purchase process, I was able to use Leaf Spy on it to see battery condition, odometer, check out car condition, test drive it, etc.

It was not a CPO car at all and it wasn't a Nissan dealer, just a used car lot. Dealer told me up front that his markup is normally $1000 above his cost. Since the $10K was a ceiling, he said if his profit was less than $1K, that was fine and he'd still sell to me for $10K. If he got it for less, my price would just be $1K above his cost. He did, as he got lucky at won it for $8K + $325 Manheim fees.

I think it's totally fine that Tesla doesn't refurbish used cars it sells, but the price should be inline w/that and they REALLY should include pics of damage/flaws and some sort of condition report similar to what I posted.
I think it's completely nuts to buy a used car in this price range sight unseen. It's not even the cost; it's that you might be stuck living with a substandard vehicle for the years that you own it. Not everything is practically repairable.
Agree.

Last edited:
I don’t understand Tesla’s unwillingness to sell these cars at a fair price. They of all people should know that with every little update to the new models, their old ones lose value.
If they can actually sell them, the more money they charge the more profit they keep. If they start having a problem moving the cars, then they'll have to do something.

Carmax has been selling Tesla's for several years, not sure why anyone thinks this is a new thing.

It must have been exceedingly rare if they did it in the past. Otherwise CarMax would be a common place to look, as they would be the only legit 3rd party extended warranty available on the used market. I have never seen Tesla as an available make on their site until now (and I have looked).

I would much rather have bought from CarMax than wait the 6 weeks we had to for each of our CPOs. It took longer than buying new, which is completely ridiculous.

Looks like CarMax sold a couple of the Tesla vehicles and they are now down to 2. Just look at the two Tesla vehicles they have available with photos. They are both reconditioned to look pristine and like new. Why can't Tesla sell used cars like CarMAx or just offload their inventory to CarMax so Tesla customers can have a more pleasant buying experience in buying a car in good condition.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Looks like CarMax sold a couple of the Tesla vehicles and they are now down to 2. Just look at the two Tesla vehicles they have available with photos. They are both reconditioned to look pristine and like new. Why can't Tesla sell used cars like CarMAx or just offload their inventory to CarMax so Tesla customers can have a more pleasant buying experience in buying a car in good condition.

They need their user inventory for loaner cars! I think the MS 85D I had as a loaner for 1500 miles was a CPO ready to be delivered to someone. I found the paperwork in the glove compartment. I am not sure if the guy was the previous owner or the next owner though. I think they are using those CPOs as loaners up a day or 2 before delivery and have no time left for reconditioning.

Dammmmm, I have wanted a Tesla since I first saw them in 2012, couldn't afford one so I bought a 2012 Volt. 18 months later I tried again to squeeze a MS into my budget but couldn't, so I traded my 2012 Volt on 2013. Drove that until 2016. Looked at CPO MS' and again couldn't manage it. So I bought a 2017 Volt Premier with ACC. All three of my Volt's have been operated over 94% of the time electric (all three of my Volt's have been registered on VoltStats under Patty Wagen, BAZINGA and now Von Zipper). So I was already mostly there as an EV owner.

So while I'm still working and opted to start my Social Security. Planned on using the extra income to buy a CPO MS and hopefully have it paid down to fit my retirement budget in Jan 2019 (my planned retirement date) then 10 days ago Tesla dumped about 250 MS' onto their Pre-Owned Site. I found many I could now afford and want. Made contact with Brent in Chicago (I live in St Louis) he took the time to answer all my questions and specifically on the best way to handle the trade of my 2017 Volt (almost paid for, with about $18K equity) and planned on pulling the trigger on a CPO next month (first full SS check) then I stumbled upon this. I have ZERO ability to inspect any CPO listed on the Tesla web site, so I'd be placing a $1000 un-refundable deposit, having the car shipped to the St Louis Service Center and than hoping it's in good shape. My budget going in is $55K before my trade. Planned on borrowing no more than $30K going into retirement. Now after ready this I'm unable to consider a "pre-owned" Tesla as sold by Tesla as an option. I know Brent in Chicago is the go to guy and a straight shooter so I may ask him for his assessment of any pre-owned Tesla I may consider and than have to take his word.

How sad. This was going to be my dream car going into retirement, but now I'm not so sure.

Dammmmm, I have wanted a Tesla since I first saw them in 2012, couldn't afford one so I bought a 2012 Volt. 18 months later I tried again to squeeze a MS into my budget but couldn't, so I traded my 2012 Volt on 2013. Drove that until 2016. Looked at CPO MS' and again couldn't manage it. So I bought a 2017 Volt Premier with ACC. All three of my Volt's have been operated over 94% of the time electric (all three of my Volt's have been registered on VoltStats under Patty Wagen, BAZINGA and now Von Zipper). So I was already mostly there as an EV owner.

So while I'm still working and opted to start my Social Security. Planned on using the extra income to buy a CPO MS and hopefully have it paid down to fit my retirement budget in Jan 2019 (my planned retirement date) then 10 days ago Tesla dumped about 250 MS' onto their Pre-Owned Site. I found many I could now afford and want. Made contact with Brent in Chicago (I live in St Louis) he took the time to answer all my questions and specifically on the best way to handle the trade of my 2017 Volt (almost paid for, with about $18K equity) and planned on pulling the trigger on a CPO next month (first full SS check) then I stumbled upon this. I have ZERO ability to inspect any CPO listed on the Tesla web site, so I'd be placing a $1000 un-refundable deposit, having the car shipped to the St Louis Service Center and than hoping it's in good shape. My budget going in is $55K before my trade. Planned on borrowing no more than $30K going into retirement. Now after ready this I'm unable to consider a "pre-owned" Tesla as sold by Tesla as an option. I know Brent in Chicago is the go to guy and a straight shooter so I may ask him for his assessment of any pre-owned Tesla I may consider and than have to take his word.

How sad. This was going to be my dream car going into retirement, but now I'm not so sure.

I agree, what Tesla has done here is really sad and an awful way to treat their customers. We are in the same situation you are in and like you, have a hard time with the current way Tesla sells these cars, as it is essentially a crap shoot.

You COULD end up with a car that is in decent shape but like you, we have a hard time pulling the trigger on a USED car that we have not seen nor given the chance to inspect in advance, especially now that they are not promising to refurbish cars. You could ask them for photos but by the time you see the photos, a decent car that comes up could be sold or the photos might not have enough resolution to see the condition of the paint or the interior.

Not even the most unscrupulous and unethical used car dealer you could find would refuse the option to personally inspect the used car you are about to buy. Imagine how shady it would be if someone posted an advertisement on Craig's List for a used car that they are refusing to let you inspect in person, not document the condition of the car, but they want you to pay $60,000 and put down a deposit for $1,000 without disclosing the condition of the interior and the exterior.

This is essentially now how Tesla sells CPO cars. Like I said you could end up with a car in decent shape or they could now technically sell you a car with curbed wheels, dented panels, scratched paint, and the interior falling apart and they can tell you oh this car is fine because everything works "mechanically." o_O

On the plus side CarMax is now selling Tesla vehicles and they refurbish cars they sell and also offer an extended warranty. I thought Tesla was supposed to treat customers better than a car dealer. :(

You can also go the private party route. Tesla uses their CPO cars as loaner rentals before someone buys it so some of the CPO vehicles they offer could be trashed with all sorts of damage where with a private party sale you are buying the car from the original owner in most cases and can inspect the car. This was not such a big deal earlier because Tesla would refurbish the car but if you are unlucky enough to buy a used Tesla trashed as a loaner, it is now apparently you who will have to pay to fix the car after buying it :(

Last edited:

Whenever you get your Tesla it will be worth the wait. There's nothing like it!

We were thinking about buying a CPO as our second Tesla but find the present situation quite scary. I've been reading up on the current threads and some people are getting cars in decent shape and others are getting cars so beat up that they refuse delivery. We don't want the car purchase to be a gamble.

We definitely don't want to buy a beat up car and while we were sent photos of a car we were interested in, it was tough to see the condition of the car and the paint with low resolution photos. There was just one interior photo taken from a distance with the driver's side door open so we could not even guess what the actual interior condition was.

Is there an option to pay extra for a refurbished car? I wish they could at least document the condition of the car. This is what they do at auctions.

Unless I can inspect and drive the car before putting a deposit down, I am done with the "new" cpo program.

That completely makes sense.

It is absolutely ridiculous to pay upwards of 50K for used cars that are now essentially sold "as is" because that's what they've reduced the CPO program to. If we buy a CPO car, it would be after we inspect the car personally. The current COP program might not have much in terms of standards but we do :p

At this rate, Tesla would be better served to get out of the used car business.

What happened to leading the industry?

What happened to there being top of the line cars as loaners?

If they’re going to sell used cars, then sell the best ones and offload the rest.

Sticking a buyer with a trashed car serves the interests of exactly nobody.

If this is what happens when Elon takes over Sales and Service, then Elon needs either to hire someone or to have Jerome train his own replacement for the Semi program so that Jerome can get back in charge and make this and a lot of other problems right.

The quick answer to this thread is no. You want to pay used prices but get new-quality? haha. thats funny.

Yes I'm quite aware that other car manufacturers sell "CPO" that are marketed as "good as new." But maybe that's why the program isn't called "CPO" anymore but "used" instead.