Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla remove FSD from cars sold from third party dealer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My two cents here, having just purchased a used 2018 X in April, take with a grain of salt.

First, get the X, if you’re at all conflicted, you’ll appreciate the size down the road. 30 seconds sitting in a Y at the Tesla shop was all it took to convince me that the hassle of a used X was worth it for the extra width and capability (it also tows a useful amount).

Second, buy direct from Tesla. They can ship it to you from anywhere in the country, you get a little extra warrantee, and you know up front if FSD was included. I asked multiple people from Tesla this, and they confirmed it. My X arrived with “FSD” as it currently stands, so just enhanced AP, summon, etc, and the service center has actually called me nagging me to get the HW3 upgrade.

All in all, buying a used Tesla was only slightly more difficult than ordering and leasing a brand new one, which is to say, really really easy compared with the typical car dealer BS. Caveat to that, you’re buying sight unseen, there are “standards” but there is some small risk involved with that. Two months in and I’m totally happy with my purchase and my new old X (it’s practically a classic now, for a Tesla).

but my first service appointment is Monday, so that may change. 🤪
I tried buying from Tesla there aren't any Model X SUV's available used.

Sometimes Tesla can make a "mistake" in auditing and think that no one has ever paid for your Enhanced AutoPilot so it would take it away without any notice and quietly over the air. You'll discover the error when the feature no longer works in one morning in the future and you'll have Service Center to fix it. They would look up the record and say the Enhanced AutoPilot was never paid so you need to pay up to get it back. If you have the proof to show that it was paid by someone and it doesn't matter who, then you'll get it back without paying additionally.

Remember, it's the proof that the money was paid to Tesla, not your friends, not your non-Tesla dealers, not your private sellers, not auction houses.
Would the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement be enough proof from the private seller? I was sent a screen shot of it.

We bought a used 2020 X made Sept in May 2021 from a private party in CA. Had shipped to WI. Had FSD and that went with it. FSD, not worth 10k or even close yet. Really added about 0 dollars to the used car transaction, so worth that :). The Falcon Doors, however, are kick a$* cool!

Also roads here suck and the air susspention in the X is way smoother than the sporty suspension in the Y. Air can be set to smooth or sporty in the X.
Funny, we were just looking at taking aY up there for a week but will be staying in a hotel. Closest electric charging point for any evehicle is 45 minutes away. Looks like another year in the converible.