TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does Tesla roof have a special coating?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Seth2020, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Seth2020

Seth2020 Member

I know the roof has special UV filters in it. These do not need to be an outer coating, they can be part of the glass.

But we also know how the Tesla roof beads water... this is interesting
    [​IMG]

1. Does the Tesla roof have a special coating on it?
    2. Does the Tesla roof require any special care? Should I avoid harsher glass cleaners (say those for removing water spots)?
    3. Does the water beading effect ever diminish over the years?

2. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Early Model 3s had that orange iridescent effect. Ours is a mid 15,000s VIN.
    It has it. Very cool!
    I used a photo I took to make this Wallpaper for my iPhone. (X & 11)
    C96A0EAF-CA00-4581-8531-D8E1751A766F.jpeg

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. jkdman123

jkdman123 Member

Another M3 owner told me they used gold in the roof. I’ve seen the gold effect, but if they did, I think they stopped. I don’t see it in mine and all the newer M3s running around here.

4. Tessaract

Tessaract Member

#4 Tessaract, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    I don't think they use gold in the roof glass. I also don't think they use a coating, since this would wear and abrade and look crappy very soon.

The colour visible in the beaded water drops is not always gold, and is a function of the drop size and angle of observation (as can be clearly seen in Seth2000's photo), and is a result of optical diffraction and refraction effects at the glass/water interface.

I suspect Tesla glass is a close cousin to "Gorilla Glass", which a glass fabricated with a special process and with certain (usually secret) substances introduced in the outer glass layer that creates mechanical compressive stress in the glass surface layers after the glass cools, also resulting in very strong glass. My guess is that this stressed outer layer of the glass results in the diffraction effect scientifically known as "Schlieren", except in this case the optical path is not through the glass, but is light partially internally reflected at the external water/glass and internal glass/air boundary layer.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

6. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Yeah, lots of complaints about the funny looking roof by some when the first ones appeared.

Not sure why Tesla changed it, but looks great against the blue of my M3.

• Like x 1
  7. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

Mine (April 2019) is a mix - front roof glass has the tint, rear glass doesn’t. Wish the rear did, too!

8. RandomX

RandomX Member

March 2019, same for me mixed. I think after June 2019 it was phased out.

9. MidwestM3P

MidwestM3P Member

I had it on my 2018, but that panel of glass took a rock chip recently so I had to get it replaced. The new glass panel doesn't have the orange tinting. :(