Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla Service Center offer curb rash fixes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly curbed my rear passenger wheel while moving through a parking lot (odd how I’ve never done that with much larger vehicles). Looks pretty gnarly and goes around half of the rim on my 21” uberturbine wheels. Ironically, I already have an appointment for the Tesla on 4/1 to deal with the front passenger seatbelt sensor being faulty (has had error 3-4x). I added curb rash to the appointment under “other” with a photo as the Tire section for service does not seem to mention this service. I know most other dealerships tend to just outsource this to some mobile van that comes to their shop 1x a week. Unfortunately, the ability to speak with someone at Tesla seems non-existent as to whether they even have this capability or even outsource it to someone. I made the appointment on 4/1 like three weeks ago and I’ve yet to even hear from a Tesla employee about this upcoming appointment, estimates, etc. Does not give me high confidence that they will address me on the wheel issue and then I’ll have to find someone to do this on my own. Does anybody know if this is a service that Tesla offers?

No. There are services that can repair damaged wheels if the damage is only cosmetic. If the wheel can't be repaired your best option would be to buy a replacement wheel, try eBay or Craigs list. Tesla can order you a new wheel $$$.

Sadly curbed my rear passenger wheel while moving through a parking lot (odd how I’ve never done that with much larger vehicles). Looks pretty gnarly and goes around half of the rim on my 21” uberturbine wheels. Ironically, I already have an appointment for the Tesla on 4/1 to deal with the front passenger seatbelt sensor being faulty (has had error 3-4x). I added curb rash to the appointment under “other” with a photo as the Tire section for service does not seem to mention this service. I know most other dealerships tend to just outsource this to some mobile van that comes to their shop 1x a week. Unfortunately, the ability to speak with someone at Tesla seems non-existent as to whether they even have this capability or even outsource it to someone. I made the appointment on 4/1 like three weeks ago and I’ve yet to even hear from a Tesla employee about this upcoming appointment, estimates, etc. Does not give me high confidence that they will address me on the wheel issue and then I’ll have to find someone to do this on my own. Does anybody know if this is a service that Tesla offers?
Where are you located?

I curbed my 1 month old MYP pretty badly last week. It was very very stupid of me that I purposely parked far away from everyone to avoid contact but I parked by a curb. Of course forgot about it when I pulled out. I followed this thread and ordered touch up paint from Tsportline. It actually worked pretty well. Just take 220 sand paper to sand down the area first and apply the paint. It looks well enough that’s not noticeable unless you are close and really looking for it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Reactions: ucmndd

Where are you located?

This. If you want better feedback give an actual location and not just "USA" in your profile.

In Southern California I would recommend Dr Wheel for mobile repair. But not knowing your location……. ? Can’t really help right away.

This was a recent response from a SC.

Your car weighs 5k lbs, there is no cost effective way for use to magnaflux for cracks in your wheel so its better for us to change it as its clearly not worth the risk for you and your passengers should anything happen.

Cracks can occur on the smallest of impacts as curbing your wheels is exactly what that is.

Long story, I was sold.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
My wife curbed both R front and rear wheels the first time she ever drove/parked the Model Y in front of the house.

I'm sure it's different depending on where you are as OCJeff and Patrick pointed out. I already had an appointment with mobile service for the Homelink install and I asked them if they repaired wheels and he gave me the number of the guy they (Costa Mesa service center) use. Communicated through text and a guy repaired the wheels (while sending progress pics) at my office. I sent a Zelle payment and that was it. $100/wheel. I don't even know what he looks like but the wheel looks indistinguishable from new, even up close.

1647786738666.png

Look how new the tires were :D
1647786853088.png1647786894234.png1647787050319.png

Where are you located?
I’m located in the Northern NJ area close to NYC. For reference here is the wheel.

I’ve accidentally curbed wheels on my prior cars (1x each) but both times it was during parallel parking at slow speeds. This was an odd one as I was going 15 mph around a bend to the right in a mall parking lot after taking a left at a light. I’ve done this a million times before with no issues with larger cars. Not sure what happened here other than the steering wheel on the TSLA is “dartier” than I expected and I figured I had clearance in the front and the back hit. Also no warning, for some reason I guess its too low? At least on my X5 when parallel parking I was relying on the sensor too much and it must have been dirty.

With my other cars it cost about $150 to fix and no issue but again MB and BMW dealerships just outsource it and give you a loaner. Just out of curiosity, any sense of how much TSLA charges for a single Uberturbine wheel? Sort of annoying that these store locations don’t partner with a local place even at an up charge just given what seems to be a # of people who get this issue on these wheels.

A look up online near me suggests Silverstar Alloy Wheel Repair in Maywood. Reviews seem positive and appears to have cars significantly more high end than the Tesla. Not sure if they have to take the wheel off for the repair but do you think they need any special equipment for lifting (like those pucks)? If removed does it require any odd recalibration of sensors or alignment etc at the service center?

6D31C065-C52B-4A3F-B655-11392A2F244C.jpeg

Last edited:
^^That can be fixed if one has the simple sanding discs, some spray paint, satin clear, and an afternoon. A shop is going to do the same thing, sand it down, paint and charge a few hundie for the pleasure. You could diy it for less than 50 if one is so inclined to diy.

I’m located in the Northern NJ area close to NYC. For reference here is the wheel.

I’ve accidentally curbed wheels on my prior cars (1x each) but both times it was during parallel parking at slow speeds. This was an odd one as I was going 15 mph around a bend to the right in a mall parking lot after taking a left at a light. I’ve done this a million times before with no issues with larger cars. Not sure what happened here other than the steering wheel on the TSLA is “dartier” than I expected and I figured I had clearance in the front and the back hit. Also no warning, for some reason I guess its too low? At least on my X5 when parallel parking I was relying on the sensor too much and it must have been dirty.

With my other cars it cost about $150 to fix and no issue but again MB and BMW dealerships just outsource it and give you a loaner. Just out of curiosity, any sense of how much TSLA charges for a single Uberturbine wheel? Sort of annoying that these store locations don’t partner with a local place even at an up charge just given what seems to be a # of people who get this issue on these wheels.

A look up online near me suggests Silverstar Alloy Wheel Repair in Maywood. Reviews seem positive and appears to have cars significantly more high end than the Tesla. Not sure if they have to take the wheel off for the repair but do you think they need any special equipment for lifting (like those pucks)? If removed does it require any odd recalibration of sensors or alignment etc at the service center?

View attachment 783524
Mine is not as bad so I DIY. I’m also in north NJ so please do update back your experience with whomever you choose. Hope for the best for you!

Got some curb rash today on my brand new MY
Anyone know of a good wheel repair service in the Houston area?
I don’t want to DIY... thanks for any input.
(Tesla Service quoted $800 for a replacement wheel and labor ... wow)

Got some curb rash today on my brand new MY
Anyone know of a good wheel repair service in the Houston area?
I don’t want to DIY... thanks for any input.
(Tesla Service quoted $800 for a replacement wheel and labor ... wow)

Done two wheel repairs with them, one on my old BMW 550i.
Second car of mine was my 2017 infiniti q60 coupe which they fixed some curb rash AS well as powder coated them gloss black
Both cars had 19" premium alloy wheels FYI

Love their work, its a little bit of a drive near Spring, Tx but can vouch for them. No issues, excellent service, quality and reasonably priced.

Last edited:
This was a recent response from a SC.

Your car weighs 5k lbs, there is no cost effective way for use to magnaflux for cracks in your wheel so its better for us to change it as its clearly not worth the risk for you and your passengers should anything happen.

Cracks can occur on the smallest of impacts as curbing your wheels is exactly what that is.

Long story, I was sold.
That’s a dumb response from Tesla.

It’s curious they call out Magnaflux. It’s not actually expensive - basically every weld that’s ever been inspected beyond a visual inspection has been Magnafluxed. It’s a pretty standard thing in the welding industry. You’ve got a cleaner, dye, and a developer.

See video in link for the process:

Interesting that a SC would state they dont fix it when the service center in sarasota fixes them all the time. My wife curbed our mylr 3 times and I got them fixed at the service center for $150.

Just put the repair request on the app and they will inform.

My wife curbed both R front and rear wheels the first time she ever drove/parked the Model Y in front of the house.

I'm sure it's different depending on where you are as OCJeff and Patrick pointed out. I already had an appointment with mobile service for the Homelink install and I asked them if they repaired wheels and he gave me the number of the guy they (Costa Mesa service center) use. Communicated through text and a guy repaired the wheels (while sending progress pics) at my office. I sent a Zelle payment and that was it. $100/wheel. I don't even know what he looks like but the wheel looks indistinguishable from new, even up close.

View attachment 783472
View attachment 783474View attachment 783475View attachment 783479
Wow, those look amazing. Are you able to give me the guys contact info?

View attachment 783472
What’s their Name and Number it does look really Good!

View attachment 783472
This is awesome! I’m not too far from you, so you have the Costa Mesa repair guys number?