TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does Tesla Service Cover A Tow If You Get A Flat?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Todd Burch, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

In all of the drama regarding the Tesla service plan, it was lost on me whether the service plan covered a tow if you get a flat. My thinking was no...is that correct?

Speaking of which---has anyone been asked to pick a service plan? I think at one point Tesla mentioned we'd pick it within a month of receiving our car. Still nothing at this point.

I think that's actually a good thing....I'd rather not pay for it ;).

2. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

My understanding is that the service plans cover scheduled maintenance items only (you're basically just pre-paying your maintenance visits). If you get the ranger plan, then they will come out for warranty repairs as well (such as door handle replacements).

3. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

Tesla Service | Tesla Motors
    •24 hour roadside assistance

The service plan has some amount of roadside assistance, its unclear what exactly is covered by that. Looking at other roadside assistance packages, it should cover a tow (if there was a spare in the car it should cover installing a spare), you get to pay for a new tire of course

4. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

I had a flat on Dec 23, and they towed it 33 miles to the Fremont factory service center. No charge for towing (but I did pay $423 to replace the tire with taxes and fees).

5. ddruz

ddruz Member

This is a very interesting question. From George B's 9-16-12 post on the Warranty and Servicing thread Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB) - Page 3

TOWING:
    - INCLUDED: If your car has a breakdown and cannot be driven, we pay for towing, up to 50 miles, to a Tesla Service Center, your home, or some other secure place. We will then assess your car to determine the best way to repair it.

WEAR AND TEAR PARTS
    - INCLUDED: Everything except tires.

@ddenboer - Did Tesla indicate to you that it was their policy to tow free for flats?

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'm guessing a "flat" is a "breakdown".

7. dave

dave Member

For some reason I was thinking the included roadside assistance covered towing, regardless of the service plan. If it doesn't, then what is the point of roadside assistance? Bring you extra gas? Help swap out your spare tire?

8. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Unghf... I hope you have 21" wheels?

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It'd be nice if it was, but usually things like flats fall in to the same category as accidents... something the manufacturer can't reasonably control. In my experience, they'll come if it's a problem with the car, although having said that Cadillac did come and change a flat for me once. In any event, I have CAA (Auto Club) membership and plan on keeping a tire repair kit in the car.

10. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

But this isn't a warrantee issue. Tesla includes complimentary 24 roadside assistance that is totally separate from the warrantee or service contract. It seems to me complimentary roadside assistance wouldn't be very complimentary if it didn't cover flat tires. There should be documentation on exactly what is covered under roadside assistance, but it doesn't seem to be online. In the warrantee all they say is "Roadside assistance is not provided under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty but is a service intended to minimize inconvenience when your Tesla vehicle is inoperable. Please refer to your Roadside Assistance documentation for details."

11. strider

strider Active Member

Careful, it's only complimentary for the first year. After that you have to be on a service plan to get roadside assistance.

12. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

I have the 21's, and was told that this was roadside assistance. We did not want to chance filling it and driving to Fremont because the last fill I did on the stationary car lasted only 3 hours.

13. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Looking at the list of covered items, does that mean you no longer get software updates and/or new features if you don't have a service plan? I'm assuming the service plan would allow you to get them on-the-fly (ie: overnight download) whereas otherwise you would just pay a fee to have your car updated when you went in for servicing?

14. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Not according to the final paperwork I just signed. It clearly states that roadside assistance is for 4 years. Also it definitely states that towing is free for flat tires. You have to pay for service for the first four years to keep your warrantee, though, so it's really a moot point. You just pay annually or up front.

15. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Great info. Thanks!

16. strider

strider Active Member

Thanks for the clarification. I remember when the service plans were announced it was stated that roadside assistance was included in the service plan so I assumed you have to be under a service plan to get roadside assistance.

17. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

It should be covered because there is no spare. (Their choice, not mine)