Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla stalk me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think my tv is watching me.

You laugh but I know someone who worked with/for Motorola (as a contractor) that developed software and hardware for your cable box to actually watch you. The do some facial/gesture/motion recognition to determine if you liked what was being watched, and whether you were watching commercials or not. I don't think any of it was ever implemented in the market but they sure were developing it.

I am amazed at how much 1984 really is true today. It just isn't being used by the government to control information, it is used by corporations to squeeze money out of you. I am pretty sure the governments will eventually catch up, sadly.

You laugh but I know someone who worked with/for Motorola (as a contractor) that developed software and hardware for your cable box to actually watch you. The do some facial/gesture/motion recognition to determine if you liked what was being watched, and whether you were watching commercials or not. I don't think any of it was ever implemented in the market but they sure were developing it.

I am amazed at how much 1984 really is true today. It just isn't being used by the government to control information, it is used by corporations to squeeze money out of you. I am pretty sure the governments will eventually catch up, sadly.

I would add that I personally assume that my cable box DOES WATCH ME.They put the camera behind the IR window for the remote sensor. And your cable box has internet connection.

As for Tesla stalking you, depends on your definition. They do track you. They will track you. The car will phone home. Will they use that information for is up to you to decide whether or not is 'stalking'. Even when we had dumb cell phones you were able to be tracked, and could be continuously within the range of a cell tower. When dumb cell phones started putting in GPS chips you are basically being tracked by continuously by your provider. Now with smart phones you have to assume that your position at all times (except out of GPS AND Cell/WiFi range) is being tracked by AT LEAST your provider.

With as many stupidly cheap video cameras, and stupidly cheap and fast wireless internet (of all kinds) it is almost impossible to not be tracked.

Some quick information. Google traffic gets the bulk of their traffic data from buying tracking information from cell phone providers. And your Android smartphones. I personally believe Android was so that Google could get cheaper tracking data, than buying it from mobile providers. With the added benefit of another space to sell ads.

Hopefully they get WiFi enabled soon, as for a SW update I'm likely going to have to park my car someplace safe that actually has 3G coverage through the network they chose (guessing AT&T or someone sharing their towers, lucky if I infrequently get 1 bar at home which is why we switched to Verizon the second it become available for iPhone)

Which means big brother wasn't able to monitor me for a few days while waiting for a response from service, as it got to the point where eventually the car gave up and disabled 3G completely! Had to give the touchscreen a hard reset to get it to even attempt to find a signal again, but at least it is a known issue on the to-do list.

I know someone who thought the CN Tower was watching her. This was eventually resolved with drugs. (I'm not even kidding.)

I'm responsible for the Smart Meter program at the electric utility I work for. Don't even get me started...

- - - Updated - - -

OnStar has tracked users for years.They got in a bit of trouble over this a year or two ago and sent out new TOS documents explaining more clearly what they do and allowing users to opt out. (It had to do with continuing to monitor users even after they had let subscriptions lapse).

Personally, I'm a fan of OnStar. I had a passenger with a medical emergency and it was literally a life saver. I like the accident response and the comfort of knowing if I get in deep enough trouble, someone will know. I'll probably get an OnStar FMV mirror for my Model S unless Tesla offers some sort of similar service (and there's no reason why they couldn't).

I doubt that is an issue. Remember a little cell phone battery can maintain a 3G connection for a couple of days.

Yes, but the car might be sending large packets of data to Tesla. There are probably electronics on board the car that take forever to reboot and initialize so that is why they are always kept on.

I don't own a Model S YET, but does the screen ever turn off and/or is there and option to turn off the wireless connectivity to conserve the battery life? Maybe the Li-Ion chemistry works best when there is always a load on the battery may it be from the inverter, computer,etc...

I don't own a Model S YET, but does the screen ever turn off and/or is there and option to turn off the wireless connectivity to conserve the battery life?

The screen turns of when the car is locked or when you manually turn it off.

The big loads will be the various pumps: HVAC, battery cooling, brakes, suspension (although the HVAC won't be on when the car is off). Even though they only run sometimes, they take a large amount of electricity when they do run--likely 30-40 amps at 12V (each pump). A car's electronic suite isn't like a computer, instead it's a number of ECUs which are tied together. The Model S also has a desktop-like computer that services the displays and controls the ECUs. The wireless connectivity is minuscule by comparison. Turning it off would gain you about a mile a year or some such number.