Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

does Tesla still offer S 70 ==> S 75 upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV newbie shopping used SC01;
yesterday read a comment that its possible to upgrade Tesla battery to increase range;
asked seller of one of two S I've narrowed my choice down to about it & got this:

"Owners of Model S70 built after April 11, 2016, had the option of increasing the capacity of the battery from 70KW to 75KW for the price of $3250.
The additional cost allowed the range to increase by 19 miles.
Mine was built prior to the April 11 battery change and cannot be upgraded. I do not know if you can still take advantage of that upgrade."
❓ 👍 ❓ 👎 ❓ 👍 ❓ 👎 ❓
My question: now 2023 can I increase battery capacity of 2016 S 70 built pre-April 11? How much kW, how much $$, how much more range?
If not by Tesla, by anyone else? (probably after warranty expires in year)
Thanks in advance.

Tesla does not have a “magical wand“ to change the size of the battery, like @ucmndd have pointed if the car has battery that has been SW restricted to lower value, they had the possibility to gain back this hidden amount. You can confirm this by checking the actual battery sticker seen from passenger side front wheel well (turn the wheel left). It’s attached to the edge of battery and is reflecting the actual size.

Just to fill in a little more context to the other answers, there was a period after April 2016 where cars built and sold as 70s actually had 75 battery packs. These cars were software limited so the owners could only utilize the equivalent of 70 kWh or a nominal 75kWh pack. That's what allowed people to be able to purchase the upgrade, and this simply involved Tesla unlocking the "hidden" capacity that already was installed in the cars.

Cars built and sold as 70s prior to the pre-April date would require a full replacement of the battery pack to increase the range and not a simple unlocking of hidden battery capacity.

Cars built and sold as 70s prior to the pre-April date would require a full replacement of the battery pack to increase the range and not a simple unlocking of hidden battery capacity.
Is the price of Tesla converting a newish 2016 S 70 to a 100 or more recent longer range battery pack known?
Would that replacement strip vehicle of its SC01 status?
Thanks in advance.